ATS and MPG - What are you getting? - Page 7
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, ATS and MPG - What are you getting? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; V6 is getting about 22 mpg with 80% highway driving. Not very impressed with the numbers GM did not accurately ...
    sdm100 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Unhappy Re: ATS and MPG - What are you getting?

V6 is getting about 22 mpg with 80% highway driving. Not very impressed with the numbers GM did not accurately reflect true gas mileage. Only saving grace is the 87 gas price

jph
    jph is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 RWD premium

Re: ATS and MPG - What are you getting?

Quote Originally Posted by sdm100 View Post
    Not very impressed with the numbers GM did not accurately reflect true gas mileage.
    GM did not come up with those numbers, the EPA did.

J.

MyersBalls is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

The first 600 miles almost exclusively city driving (less than 5 miles at a time) and I was right at 19. Took a weekend roadtrip of about 1,000 highway miles and I am at 25 MPGs after a month of ownership and 1,700 miles.

ATS_maxblack is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black ATS 2.0T

2.0t been getting a solid 21mpg city over 4500 miles. That is with spirited driving. Also just did a 200 mile trip and was able to pull 32mpg running at 74-75mph.

I am happy that my numbers match estimates.

zr1mom is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Prem 2.0T AWD Black Raven Red

Quote Originally Posted by jph View Post
    GM did not come up with those numbers, the EPA did.

J.
    Actually it's the other way around. Fuel economy is measured under controlled conditions in a laboratory using a standardized test procedure specified by federal law. Manufacturers test their own vehicles—usually pre-production prototypes—and report the results to EPA. EPA reviews the results and confirms about 10-15 percent of them through their own tests at the National Vehicles and Fuel Emissions Laboratory.

intregliaj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I am getting 18.6 mpg. My daily commute is about 30 miles. The first 15 is all highway going 60 mph, the next 15 is bumper to bumper going 5 mph. I have the 3.6 AWD, guess that is not too bad. Love the car.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Adding D vs SM: ATS and MPG - What are you getting?

Just ran a quick test of D vs SM. Traveled 30 miles on highway (20 miles) and streets (10 miles) using D, then did the return trip in SM. Highway travel speed ranged from 65-80 mph and street speed ranged from stop to 35-50 mph. To my great surprise, the average fuel usage was about the same on both legs of the trip - 26 mpg. Using 93 octane and have 1200 miles. If this be the case, then SM all the way.

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Re: Adding D vs SM: ATS and MPG - What are you getting?

I have been comparing two different 3.6L ATs Models - one Luxury and one Performance model.

Even though the total mileage is still different (6k and 2k), I would say that I am getting very consistent mpg readout on the same road stretches. Sports Mode or Touring Mode seems to have a very slight impact on the achieved mpg - driving with or without a heavy foot has a bigger impact.

On freeway stretches, I usually see between 26mpg and 28mpg. It is always a bit tricky here, because the highest number is only achieved on cruise-control, on a flat freeway. Freeways here are going through hills, and often have stop and go traffic - both lowering the mpg. Hence I state 26 to 28mpg.

Driving off-freeways (expressways, surface streets and canyons/hills) I see about 20mpg on either car. If I push the car hard I can get it to drop below 19mpg, but not below 18mpg, which is actually still impressive for the driving style (hard starts and stops).

With my normal 'commute' - stop and go, and a combination of surface streets and freeways, I get 21.8mph with both cars - in SM all the time with fairly aggressive take-offs.

roadpie4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 M6 FE3

I just made a 600 mile round trip over the weekend and averaged ~28mpg doing 70 and ~26 doing an average closer to 80.

I will say the manual transmission and turbo are the cause - 6th gear and the final gear are rather short for the amount of power the car makes and the turbine A:R is so small the engine constantly is in and out of boost. They made it so you could be doing 55mph in 6th gear and accelerate smoothly (this is a Cadillac, after all) without shifting - but I sorta wish they hadn't. We should check with Pfadt about their turbo development and see what happens when you swap the turbo but leave the stock tune in place.

Hohums is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2.0T AWD auto, getting 22-24mpg in mixed driving. Again, I highly recommend resetting the average counter every now and then...

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

2.0T RWD Manual got 22 mpg for the first 1500 miles, 80% city driving.

shamrock11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Gentleman & Ladies.
    Wow am I in a pickle,, I just love the ATS and really want to look into buying one, HOWEVER, I would have to let my 1999 Olds Aurora go.
    Wonderful BIG car ride with a 4.0 V8 that will scat. Now for the bad or good news. I get 18 to 20 MPG city and 24 to 26 Highway driving at 75
    with air on. Wow, do I want to give it up? If I have to trade down ( and it is) to a 2.0 - 4 cylinder (Just 1/2 of what I have) and get the same mileage
    their has to something wrong with this picture. Please help me out. I'm getting force fed that I should not drive this big V8 and should buy a smaller 4 cylinder to help the planet by consuming less fuel. Now someone tell me.. who's zoomin' who. LOL
    Some body is selling a bill of goods. By the way, I have a bridge for sale for you..

lol

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock11 View Post
    Gentleman & Ladies.
    Wow am I in a pickle,, I just love the ATS and really want to look into buying one, HOWEVER, I would have to let my 1999 Olds Aurora go.
    Wonderful BIG car ride with a 4.0 V8 that will scat. Now for the bad or good news. I get 18 to 20 MPG city and 24 to 26 Highway driving at 75
    with air on. Wow, do I want to give it up? If I have to trade down ( and it is) to a 2.0 - 4 cylinder (Just 1/2 of what I have) and get the same mileage
    their has to something wrong with this picture. Please help me out. I'm getting force fed that I should not drive this big V8 and should buy a smaller 4 cylinder to help the planet by consuming less fuel. Now someone tell me.. who's zoomin' who. LOL
    Some body is selling a bill of goods. By the way, I have a bridge for sale for you..

lol
    Sham, you should stay far away from the ATS. Yes the ATS is much faster and handles much better and offers a manual transmission BUT it has fewer cubic inches. I think you should be shopping Escalades to maximize engine size and get a BIG car ride. It's only downside is its NOT front wheel drive so you will probably miss that plowing in turns you've come to love.
    ben.gators, 73JPS and 73JPS like this.

bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Wow, I'm rather surprised by the high variability in people's cars. Obviously engine size, awd vs rwd, transmission and driving style all come into play. I have a 3.6 which I'm sure is worse than the turbo which is worse than the 2.5. Additionally, I have awd, which subtracts even more. So I figure I have the worst combination but I figured if I drive gingerly, I'd still get 25. Not the case......as a matter of fact it's not much different how I drive. High teens on a bad day and low 20's on a good day. I'm certainly not going to drive it like my grandma just for a few extra mpg. With fairly aggressive driving, 18-20 seems about right.

Hohums is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Not sure how many people are calculating their MPG at the pump, or via the computer. Might account for the varying degrees of accuracy.

My average MPG counter is consistently high, even though I reset it at every fill.

And of course, driving style is a big factor. Using cruise control liberally on highway driving should net you some extra gains. Ultimately though, it's a performance sports sedan...fuel economy is not top of the priority list when designing it, so we shouldn't expect to be blown away by high MPG when driving it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.