ATS and MPG - What are you getting? - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, ATS and MPG - What are you getting? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; My ATS4 AWD 3.6 V6 auto with 4000 miles shows 21.7 MPG lifetime average with a mix of city and ...
    tonka9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 4 Premium 3.6

Re: ATS and MPG - What are you getting?

My ATS4 AWD 3.6 V6 auto with 4000 miles shows 21.7 MPG lifetime average with a mix of city and highway. Not nearly as good as my previous car, a BMW 335Xi twin turbo which
    averaged 24.1 MPG over the same roads at the same speed with the same driver.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

gfxbt, at 70 mph I was running 2,100 rpm.

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

nmauzy: thanks for the input re: engine speed at 70 with auto

unclemoose: as for cruising in a gear, i'm not sure - i typically go by feel and don't look at the tach. i think around 25 i'll be in fourth, 35 or so in 5th, and above 40 6th. you could definitely be at in a higher gear at each speed - it seems to have to go really slow for a specific gear to be lugging in my opinion. next time i am out driving i'll take a look.

unclemoose is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance - Radiant Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by gfxbt View Post
    nmauzy: thanks for the input re: engine speed at 70 with auto

unclemoose: as for cruising in a gear, i'm not sure - i typically go by feel and don't look at the tach. i think around 25 i'll be in fourth, 35 or so in 5th, and above 40 6th. you could definitely be at in a higher gear at each speed - it seems to have to go really slow for a specific gear to be lugging in my opinion. next time i am out driving i'll take a look.
    Thanks, gfxbt. My concern is that maybe I'm not managing the trans appropriately to get the stated fuel economy. I'm thinking it's around 1,500 or 1,400 rpm that best fuel economy is achieved, but would love your feedback. I agree, I think I can maintain 6th gear w/o lugging around 40 mph and maybe 1,400 rpm.

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

A couple of things to remember concerning fuel mileage. First, most of these cars are pretty new, and not yet fully broken in. Expect mileage to increase after break-in. For these various engines the breakin-in period hasn't been fully established yet, but usually it is in the 3-5,000 mile range. Second, winter mileage is always worse than summer mileage, except in the warmer climates. This is due to increased warm-up times, increased friction at lower temperatures, more inclement weather that requires more power to punch through, increased use of lights and wipers and defrosters and seat heaters, etc. Another compounding factor is the lower energy density of the mix in winter fuels, in the areas that have such blends (like Atlanta). All of this conspires to decrease mileage. I bet that as we get later into the spring, and especially as more cars get broken in, mileage will increase significantly. I certainly hope so, as both my '08 CTS and '09 CTS-V exceeded their EPA highway ratings by nearly 20% in my experience.
    Yplus, Yplus, gmesam and 3 others like this.

sqkid89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD

I've got about 2500 miles on my 2.0T RWD Auto. I'm averaging around 23.9-24.1 combined according to the DIC. Winter's killing the number though due to snowy conditions and warming up the car in the morning. I do a lot of city driving, so the numbers would be much better if I didn't work out in the middle of nowhere.

While I do (really) enjoy driving a bit more spirited now and then, it brings your mpg down really quickly. I would say it helps to leave the instantaneous mpg on the dash; you see really quickly how your driving style affects the gas gauge.

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by unclemoose View Post
    Thanks, gfxbt. My concern is that maybe I'm not managing the trans appropriately to get the stated fuel economy. I'm thinking it's around 1,500 or 1,400 rpm that best fuel economy is achieved, but would love your feedback. I agree, I think I can maintain 6th gear w/o lugging around 40 mph and maybe 1,400 rpm.
    Mileage is highly related to your driving style. Mileage goes down with fast starts, hard braking, and long idling. It goes up with smoothness (less acceleration and braking) and use of cruise control.

Even so, the stated EPA fuel economy is a very specific driving formule (sequence) which may not apply to you. E.g. driving 75mph is not included.

I am averaging 21mpg, lifetime after 5k miles, and it is still going up. I can easily get 28mpg on the freeway (3.6L). My running average seems to settle around 23mpg now, in a mixed city/freeway, Sport Mode, driving environment. And I like fast acceleration.

I think that an overdrive gear would have completely killed the character of the car. And probably not save that much on fuel anyway. Most cars are tuned for freeway speeds, their best mileage should show at around 65-70mph.

Basically, I would not worry about the rpm. Drive the car the way that you like to, and let mileage fall out of it. Your style, your mileage.
    unclemoose and unclemoose like this.

mstiffanymarietx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS CADILLAC 2.0L TURBO LUXURY

Cool Re: ATS and MPG - What are you getting?

I traveled from Houston to Dallas last week @ 75 MPH on cruise control and I got 30-32 mpg Highway and about 20-22 mpg (City).

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by gfxbt View Post
    I've been taking it easy on all freeway trips (30 miles round trip twice a week) and I haven't seen any benefit. While freeway driving, as previously stated, the instantaneous is usually around 27. My average (over the last two tanks) is no different than with more spirited driving - 24 combined. Additionally, I keep my data logged for every tank so I have a fairly good understanding of my fuel consumption.

Again, anyone out there that knows what their auto car in 6th is running at 70 mph (rpm wise)? I'm still convinced that the manual's 6th is too short. As opposed to 2500 at 70 I'd like to see 1500. Any thoughts?
    1500rpm at 70mph? That's just nuts. That's ultra-tall and not realistic. My 400hp V had an ultra-tall 6th and wasn't that tall...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

katz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 3.6 AWD Luxury ATS

I am only getting 17.8 overall.
    It is winter, very cold, but this seems very low compared to the rest of the posts.
    Dealer did "update" the engine for a smoother idle, but was only getting 18 before anyway.
    Most of you seem to at least be in the 20's?

----------

I am only getting 17.8 overall.
    It is winter, very cold, but this seems very low compared to the rest of the posts.
    Dealer did "update" the engine for a smoother idle, but was only getting 18 before anyway.
    Most of you seem to at least be in the 20's?

cdp
    cdp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Premium. Opulent Blue

AWD will cost you a mile or two per gallon, and the cold weather is also costing you. If you tend to drive mostly city, shorter trips, that will also make a big difference. I have a RWD 3.6 and the best I've done on a tank, with almost all hwy driving, was 24-25 mpg. In the city I get close to what you do, and its a lot warmer in the Houston area. I'm hoping to see improvements as it breaks in

Anthony31188 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 AWD

I've had my ATS AWD for over a month and I average 15MPG. VERY disappointing. I live on Long Island though, so our highways are basically considered city driving conditions. I'm almost never NOT in stop and go traffic.

In the same driving conditions my 2011 dodge challenger V6 average 18MPG. But I hated that damn car.

sucks....

nc-atsman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Averaging about 26 - 3.6L - very pleased with the mileage.

hyun121 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

2.0T - about 1,000 miles in and I'm seeing 20.3 mpg in mixed highway and city. I'm in Dallas where it isn't super cold. Pretty easy to say that the results are disappointing. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the car.

White Turbo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemoose
    I've been getting 20 mpg on my DIC in my 2.0T RWD Manual. Even when I baby it, I don't get higher.

Here's a question, what's the minimum RPM that you cruise in any specific gear? I have a hard time telling when this engine is lugging at lower RPMs. I've been settling around 1500 rpm for any given gear. Some days I feel I should be higher, sometimes lower, to get maximized fuel economy.
    Have you tried resetting the avg. before you get into freeway driving. The avg. is based on the overall miles since last reset. All it takes is a little fast driving in town and on take offs to ruin the avg. if you have a lot of city driving in the avg. and then take the car on a 500 mile freeway trip, You could possibly get the avg. to go where you want to see it. I got mine up to 26 the second day I had it. That was in just like 10 miles on freeway with the avg. freshly reset.I know if I took my ATS on a long drive to Vegas or to Laughlin I would easily hit 30. Good luck.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by gfxbt
    2.0T RWD MT - I'm getting 24.x on each tank (2500 miles on the car). On the freeway going 75, I rarely see the instantaneous break 30 mpg. Usually it is closer to 27.

Overall I'm kind of disappointed by this. I could get 35 on the freeway in my 4 cylinder 6 speed auto Malibu. Personally I think 6th is too short. 75 in 6th is over 2500 rpm. This seems a little high. Those with autos, is your 6th gear that short? I think gas mileage would be greatly improved if you were around 1500 in 6th at 75.
    My ATS runs smooth at 80. You aren't going to see the 30mpg very often at 70. You should trade your ATS back in for another Malibu if your that disappointed. I'd rather be driving a Cadillac any day than any of Chevys cars even if I got 20 miles less per gallon. Clearly that wouldn't be the case with the ATS.

----------

Most of you clearly don't know how to work the avg. gauge. I've gotten better averages than a lot of you in my F-350 power stroke diesel while towing a boat. It doesn't make any sense. Reset the avg. once in a while, especially after a fair amount of city driving has been done. The numbers that the dealer states on the stickers is based on driving economically. Not driving at 75 mph and always keeping the rpms pegged. They are also based per trip not over 3000 miles of mixed driving. When I drove my ATS home I couldn't get my avg. above 12mpg because the miles that had already been put on it were test drive miles where people have heavy feet. I reset it the next morning and jumped on the freeway and shazam I was getting upwards of 28 mpg going in and out of hilly terrain.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.