Hard drive crashing CUE
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Hard drive crashing CUE in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hi All, glad to say im back in a Caddy after a few year "Break". i returned my Audi.. finally.. ...
    ebomb321 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 Devile, 1994 STS, 2003 EXT, 2005 STS, 2013 ATS

Hard drive crashing CUE

Hi All,

glad to say im back in a Caddy after a few year "Break". i returned my Audi.. finally..

im having an issue with the hard drive i put in my new ATS. its a 500gb lacie with about 300gb of music.
    when i plug it in, it will start playing music but the CUE resets every 5 minutes or so, even when im not playing music off the drive it crashes CUE.

if i unplug the drive, all is well again.

anyone having issues like this? i think im going to format the drive and copy the music back to test. maybe theres a bad sector?

thanks in advance

Jon

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

Re: Hard drive crashing CUE

I haven't tried this, however I'll say that Cue doesn't seem to be designed with HDD's in mind (or even large SD cards for that matter).
    Reading through the manual you'll see that there's some hard count # of songs that over a certain # defeats the use of voice functions for your library, however it still seems to want to aggregate all of your music into one merged artist/album/genre/etc... This typically takes about forever to build and repeats often.

I'd almost think that the resetting could be related to current draw from the drive, however it could just be a database problem, or something of that nature.

I don't expect using a large volume or HDD to yield a good experience with Cue.

I've also had strange issues with an NTFS formatted SD card (64 GB, Cue doesn't read it's native format of ExFAT), so I gave up on trying to use it as it didn't work reliably.

----------

This should also probably be in the Cue forum, located here http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...xperience-cue/

danscrim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

I can't remember exactly where, but I believe HDDs are called out explicitly to be unsupported in the manual. I just remember reading it somewhere.

drye is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L AWD Premium

*Cast Resurrection on thread*

I've recently picked up a 2013 ATS and have used an iPod classic 160GB for years. I was disappointed to find that it regularly crashes CUE and/or the Ipod to where I have to manually reset the Ipod (Up+Middle buttons held) to get it to restart.

I've started some testing, so I've nerfed the amount of tracks down to compensate. So far so good.

don.davis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance

Jon, that was about the first thing I did in my ATS: stick a HDD in that cubby. It didn't like it. It spun up but never really finished initializing, so I assume it doesn't handle large numbers of folders and files.

What does your folder structure look like? Is it shallow or deep? How many levels? I had intended to experiment with different formats (NTFS vs. exFAT vs. FAT) and sector allocation sizes, but I never got to it.

CUE support has told me it doesn't play well with anything over 32gb and 4K media files per media device. Pretty sucky but there you have it. I've resorted to multiple 32GB USB drives and a single 32GB SD card.

I just picked up a Nexus 7 and hope to dangle a big drive from it via OTG, and just stream all my media to CUE via BT.

Having said all of that, if you can find a way to get it to play well with a HDD, let us all know! How easy that would make EVERYTHING...

drye is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L AWD Premium

So far i've been running a 160GB Ipod classic with 100GB/13445 Songs on it, and its been working like a charm. I'm planning on putting more songs on to see what happens.

I already notice making shortcuts to things like Genre, its extremely laggy to get to the next track. So I may just not use shortcuts like that and stick with pre-created playlists that I create with Itunes.

I'll let you know what I find out, but you can get an ipod classic (80-160GB) for sub $200 easy.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

it's possible this is a power problem on the USB port maybe someone can try powering the hard drive externally to test it, if not power then could be the seeking and spin up of the drives causing fits, this could be tested with a large flash based hard drive

listrats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD

32 GB SD card, seems to be the maximum without a single issue. Loads it all within about 5-10 seconds at start up

sqkid89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    it's possible this is a power problem on the USB port maybe someone can try powering the hard drive externally to test it, if not power then could be the seeking and spin up of the drives causing fits, this could be tested with a large flash based hard drive
    I was thinking the exact same thing. HDD's require a lot more power than a flash card or usb thumb drive.

I've found my happy medium is a 32 gig sd card for permanent collection, 32 gig phone via bluetooth for everything else

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.