KPE and IPF Tuning Performance Upgrades - ATS 2.0T and 3.6L DI - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, KPE and IPF Tuning Performance Upgrades - ATS 2.0T and 3.6L DI in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Thanks for clarifying...
    ripped is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ats and verano turbo
    Thanks for clarifying

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Re: KPE and IPF Tuning Performance Upgrades - ATS 2.0T and 3.6L DI

Hey.

What was your baseline dyno? On the 2.0T. and what was the rwhp and rwtq after your tune?

turbo2.0 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T
    Keep hearing stories about parts being released, sure would be nice to see some product.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

I'd like to see a Dyno Video with obvious camera panning to before and after screens, not calling you guys liars, but a 80Hp jump in power from a tune with no supporting mods is a "gotta see it to believe it" thing

I think whats on most peoples mind though is warranty, is this actually undetectable? I know they can figure out the last time you took a crap at a dealership if they have to.

is it a select able tune through "mode" ?

if I have an aftermarket intake, can it be calibrated to deal with that to? will it work on a manual just the same?

Finally, to tune it, is that $395+ $100 or so for a cable? is it a simple plug in, load the software and you're good to go?

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

80 HP without bolt-ons doesn't sound feasible.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    It's possible. But I won't believe it without independent proof.

I think 80 may be remotely "possible" because GM must severely reduce the potential boost the turbo could make. It makes max torque at a very low RPM and apparently, then cuts boost to cap that torque peak at higher RPMs. If you just removed the cap, 80 extra HP seems reasonable. Of course there is a reason GM limited the torque output and we don't know what part fails first if torque and/or RPMs are raised enough to translate into 80 extra HP. I think 80 HP falls within the "survive one or two dyno runs without blowing up" range. So even if the tune does make an extra 80 on a dyno, I'll wait to see how long customer motors last.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

It won't blow the engine.. Tune is everything on a boosted engine. But I see realistically 80whp added
    With a downpipe and intake + tune. Pistons are weak point on the LTG IMO. FORGED RODS AND
    CRANKSHAFT definitely are not. Add fuel and boost,timing. more air in and less blockage with high flow or
    Catless downpipe. I'm pretty sure we can safely see 300 rwhp and 320 rwtq. Not sure how big injectors
    are or fuel pump but my guess is 300 rwhp and 320rwtq will push tem too there safe limits.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Siren05 View Post
    It won't blow the engine.. Tune is everything on a boosted engine. But I see realistically 80whp added
    With a downpipe and intake + tune. Pistons are weak point on the LTG IMO. FORGED RODS AND
    CRANKSHAFT definitely are not. Add fuel and boost,timing. more air in and less blockage with high flow or
    Catless downpipe. I'm pretty sure we can safely see 300 rwhp and 320 rwtq. Not sure how big injectors
    are or fuel pump but my guess is 300 rwhp and 320rwtq will push tem too there safe limits.
    But never say never when mechanical parts are involved. Safe tune will prevent detonation.

Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option

I have seen gains like that from turbo cars before, it is not out of the realm of possibility.
    This is also 80 hp at the crank, not the wheels. Also this would be a peak horsepower improvement.
    the standard power graph for this engine looks like a table, all the power coming on at a low rpm and keeping it to the higher rpm band. this tune probably adds a peak in the late middle of the graph.
    What would be most telling would be a 1/4 mile run of a tuned car vs a non tuned car. Or a before and after. Or heck the before and after dyno sheets wold be nice, I could work a "this makes it faster or slower" from that.

breakaway87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Luxury AT

KPE seems to have disappeared from this thread yet their product is live on their website without gains listed or dyno charts, etc. I have called KPE and emailed them and yet I get nothing.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by breakaway87 View Post
    KPE seems to have disappeared from this thread yet their product is live on their website without gains listed or dyno charts, etc. I have called KPE and emailed them and yet I get nothing.
    I think KPE is in Phoenix. Anyone have an address? I'll swing by and see what's up.

breakaway87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Luxury AT

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    I think KPE is in Phoenix. Anyone have an address? I'll swing by and see what's up.
    their website lists
    Korkar Performance Engineering
    1625 E Weber Dr.
    Tempe, AZ 85281

YoshiFD3S is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T Manual, '11 Sonata 2.0T, '94 Mazda RX-7 w/ 2JZ

Dyno's don't give "to the flywheel" numbers, and for any company to advertise "to the flywheel" horsepower is retarded. That would mean the tune is only producing upwards of 30-40hp to the wheels, which although perhaps more realistic...it's obviously misleading and disappointing.

I have a custom tune on my 2011 Sonata 2.0T that took it from 231hp/231tq to 293hp/256tq.

Direct-injected 2.0T motors have A LOT of potential, so from experience I would agree that 70+HP is definitely possible, but my immediate concern would be things like the stock intercooler having terrible heatsoak.

Basically, for anyone buying these tunes..I would highly recommend you at least do follow-on BPU's to help compensate for the increased Intake Air Temps, increased exhaust flow requirements, etc.

What I want to know is, would this be a straight "CAN" tune that you buy and run and that's it? Is there any product support after that? Like for people like me who would run full BPU's in addition to the tune?

And what about user-level tuning?

Whether it's the Sonata/Optima community or here, I'm recognizing a consistent lack of user-level tuning options. I guess it's these company's ways of keeping you as returning customers, which is fine...I just hate it.

I personally would rather have a Cobb Accessport or AEM EMS style piggyback that allows user-level tuning. :/

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    What I meant was that the base run showed unrealistically low numbers. That' s what let the improvement look so good. I still think this tune gives around +30 hp..

YoshiFD3S is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T Manual, '11 Sonata 2.0T, '94 Mazda RX-7 w/ 2JZ

Again, 50-60+ HP from a tune from stock HP is totally realistic.

Here's my Sonata dyno as reference, as I previously mentioned:

So again, I believe that a 70+HP gain from stock IS possible on a direct-injected 2.0T engine, but until I see a stock VS. tune dyno or the typical dyno video...I'm not "buying it".

HighElevation is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac ATS 2.0T Performance

Wow! The other thread had just way too much drama between people. Can someone explain the dyno graph to me? I'm counting the largest difference between the lines and if I understand this correctly, if I get the KPE tune, I'll gain 22 Eng Power and 45 Eng Torque? From 199 to 221 Eng Power and from about 235 to about 280 Eng Torque? Is that 22 HP then? At the tires? Thats pretty good right? And how would this affect my warranty exactly? How would the dealership or GM know that I have added a tune to my car? And is that the entire warranty?
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.