Is “Sport Mode” a placebo? Marketing tool? - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Is “Sport Mode” a placebo? Marketing tool? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Sounds like something is not adding up. I find it hard to believe that if your hard on the gas ...
    ewired is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    Sounds like something is not adding up. I find it hard to believe that if your hard on the gas at 70mph, that the tranny would be in sixth gear in any mode.

I know pal works in my ATS. However I have never tried it in auto. I usually go to Sport mode, manual shift and use the paddle shifters. Sure enough while turning, braking and my hands are away from the shifters, the car downshifts like it should.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Is “Sport Mode” a placebo? Marketing tool?

[QUOTE=ewired;3194525]Sounds like something is not adding up. I find it hard to believe that if your hard on the gas at 70mph, that the tranny would be in sixth gear in any mode. QUOTE]
    It upshifted when I got off the gas and on the brake. The rpm at exit was under 2,000. Do I need to be in manual shift mode for PAL to work?

sagang227 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

PAL is only for sport mode, and won't work in manual mode. You probably just enabled the PAL with that one corner. Try braking after you exit the corner, it should downshift and hold you at a lower gear as long as you are driving aggressively. I think it's designed for a series of corners such as tracks and moutain roads.

I noticed the difference between normal mode and sport mode upshifts at a higher pedal. I think they are both smooth at a lower pedal, which makes sense. But once you start driving aggressively, the upshifts are firmer and quicker.

ewired is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    Bertha, I'm not positive if you need to be in manual mode on the shifter, as I'm always in that mode when running the corners. I could try it D to see but we've been pretty wet here this last week but the roads are clearing as of today.
    I'm pretty sure you need to be in Sport Mode for PAL to take over.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by sagang227
    PAL is only for sport mode, and won't work in manual mode
    I'm referring to manual mode as placing the shifter to the left to use the paddle shifters and not Tour or Snow mode. I can confirm that PAL has downshifted automatically while using the paddle shifters in Sport Mode.

kevinr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS
    I have 3.6 and there's definitely a difference. The steering is heavier, most noticeable on high speed sweepers. Not a lot, but noticeable. On launch in sport mode I can get a small amount of wheel spin. The transmission shifts more frequently -- relatively smaller throttle position changes will cause a one gear down shift. It also tolerates a bit of throttle-induced oversteer when accelerating through slow speed corners .

All of that said, these differences are most pronounced when your misbehaving on public roads. Driving normally, there's very little difference (except the MRC, as others have noted -- that one can feel regardless of driving style).

I've had two Audi A4s (one with S-Line sport suspension), an Acura TL and a MB C350 (2011 sport model). This by far the best handling car I've driven in this segment. My other car is a 1st gen Porsche Cayman S (generally considered a benchmark in chassis dynamics), and my MRC-equipped ATS comes close to the Porsche in cornering confidence.

I can notice the throttle mapping, but that seems pretty subtle. On my Cayman, the difference between sport mode throttle mapping and 'normal' is huge. It's a manual, and rev matching and throttle/clutch modulation at launch is so different you would think it a different engine. The ATS by comparison (speaking now only of throttle mapping) is much more subtle.

CUE, on the other hand, needs some work.

Sorry you are unhappy with yours.

You guys have convinced me that my Sport Mode isn't functioning. I've tried driving irresponsibly as described in the posts above, switching between Sport and Touring, I get nothing. I'll have my dealer check it out. Maybe it's just a programming problem. By the way, Snow Mode definitely works as described in the owners manual.

Thanks, Bert

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    You guys have convinced me that my Sport Mode isn't functioning. I've tried driving irresponsibly as described in the posts above, switching between Sport and Touring, I get nothing. I'll have my dealer check it out. Maybe it's just a programming problem. By the way, Snow Mode definitely works as described in the owners manual.

Thanks, Bert
    Sports mode is a joke...and agree that snow mode is effective....get rid of sport mode and save money on MY ATS 2014 Cadillac...

Livid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Premium

I'd actually like a "grandpa" mode that is softer than touring mode. Maybe I've been driving my XTS loaner too long...

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by Livid View Post
    Maybe I've been driving my XTS loaner too long...
    ----------------------------- ^^^ That ^^^
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Jercat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 G8 GXP

The sport mode on my G8 works just like the ATS is suppose to. When I'm running 80mph and brake for a turn , it blips the throttle and down shifts thru the gears. I would not give up on the ATS, just take it in and have them look at it. I know your other problem is a pita, just need to hang in there.

Its an ATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Premium 3.6 AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues

Thanks, Bert
    I tried PMing you and my phone is being goofy. Would you mind enlightening me on your "other" issue? I'm working with cust service right now to hopefully fix my issue and in wondering if we have the same thing going on.

Thanks, Cody

Cody, for my other issue see the thread I stareted entitled "Tapping noise in HVAC system"

Thanks for your concern. Bert

hueyh is offline Cadillac Owners Member

to sum up , is it true that, "sports mode" only adds steering firmness, for models with manual transmission and without MRC?

kevinr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS
    Quote Originally Posted by hueyh
    to sum up , is it true that, "sports mode" only adds steering firmness, for models with manual transmission and without MRC?
    I would expect there would be some engine mapping changes as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.