PAL for ATS (Performance Algorithm Liftfoot)
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, PAL for ATS (Performance Algorithm Liftfoot) in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; My 1st post on the ATS Forum, but thought this might be worth putting out there... saw this today... anybody ...
    garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

PAL for ATS (Performance Algorithm Liftfoot)

My 1st post on the ATS Forum, but thought this might be worth putting out there... saw this today... anybody else?

http://cadillacmagazine.com/2013/01/...ac+Magazine%29

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Magazine
    Cadillac ATS Has Unique PAL for Spirited Driving

Posted on January 2nd, 2013 by admin in Cadillac ATS, News
    Cadillac ATS Has Unique PAL for Spirited Driving
    Performance Algorithm Liftfoot technology powers through corners

DETROIT – The new Cadillac ATS’s sport-tuned dynamics come to life with a performance-oriented component that improves acceleration control and handling through curves during spirited driving.

Performance Algorithm Liftfoot, or PAL, detects when the driver demands more performance from the vehicle while taking a curve and automatically drops the transmission to a lower gear to improve acceleration out of the corner.

PAL is paired with ATS models with a six-speed automatic transmission, which engineers have perfected for quick-shift timing. PAL minimizes unneeded shifting and allows the driver to focus on the road and enjoy the ride.

“The ATS is built to deliver inspired driving dynamics when the driver desires it,” said Adam Dean, Cadillac ATS ride and handling engineer. “When PAL is engaged, the driver will notice the ATS kick into a higher RPM.”

When the ATS is in the driver selected “Sport” suspension mode and begins negotiating curves with sufficient cornering lateral force, the transmission computer commands downshifts to ensure the right gear is readily available. The lower gears aid in both braking into and maintaining control through the turn, and then accelerating out of the corner.

With continued high-throttle driving and aggressive braking, the transmission will maintain the lower gears to assist in acceleration and in preparing for the next corner. When more moderate driving conditions are detected – lower acceleration and cornering – the transmission will upshift sequentially through the gears, and exit PAL mode.

The transmission also features faster shift times, which have been improved to perfect RPM engine matching when downshifting through a corner.

Cadillac engineers refined PAL and other performance features on the ‘Green Hell’ – Nurburgring’s Nordschleife Course – and other challenging roads. Driving enthusiasts are putting ATS to the test. In a recent Motor Trend comparison of six-cylinder versions of the world’s-finest sport sedans, ATS was judged the overall winner. The New York Times review of ATS described it “a blast to drive on the road and track.”
    Love to hear feedback from anyone who has made use of or experienced this feature!

Best regards,

Elie

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Its an ATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Premium 3.6 AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by garfin
    My 1st post on the ATS Forum, but thought this might be worth putting out there... saw this today... anybody else?

Love to hear feedback from anyone who has made use of or experienced this feature!

Best regards,

Elie
    Yup! It works. Right when you think "I want to downshift" it does it. It is almost perfect. It usually drops just as you enter the turn, just in time for Apex acceleration.

BriansZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I tried this out tonight when I borrowed the wife's car. I was in sport mode and went around a couple turns at a decent speed then when I started to slow for the next turn it downshifted. This car is a lot of fun to drive and I'm glad we went with cadillac!

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Re: PAL for ATS (Performance Algorithm Liftfoot)

Quote Originally Posted by garfin View Post

Best regards,

Elie
    Simply put the car in sports mode and drive with a 'heavy right foot' and you will be amazed how well this algorithm works. I see no need for paddle shifters at all - I can almost perfectly control the rpm with my right foot.

I haven't noticed the 'downshift under centrifugal force' part of the algorithm yet. Typically, in a stick or paddle shift, I would select the lower gear prior to the centrifugal force being there, but the up and down shifts happen blindingly fast, so I trust it will work as advertised.

It is also the first automatic transmission car, to me, that 'holds' the gear for spirited driving, at like at 4k rpm! If you want it to upshift, just lift your foot.

MikeFKMC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Imagine how much the engineers of this car trust the chasis to be able to punch it out of an apex or a corner and not worry about the car spinning out of control. The ATS has really changed the perception of "old school Cadillacs"

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

Read my ATS initial impression post. I didn't realize it worked that way but it rev matched a downshift so quickly and perfectly that I actually burst out laughing after I realized what happened. They even have the timing down, it's right after you let off the brakes and put a little bit of steering into the mix. Love it!

Atswatcher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    One good thing all the reviews mentioned was, ATS will let the tail out a little at a turn when driven aggressively, before the electronics nanny kicks in to save the day. Very nicely done to have some fun yet still keep it safe.

Its an ATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Premium 3.6 AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Atswatcher
    One good thing all the reviews mentioned was, ATS will let the tail out a little at a turn when driven aggressively, before the electronics nanny kicks in to save the day. Very nicely done to have some fun yet still keep it safe.
    Not in the AWD. It sticks like crazy... There isn't any playing in it thus far. I'm still under 1500 miles though.

exesivefire is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0t AWD
    I tried this for the first time the other day (I usually put it in manual mode)

Holy crap it actually works, I was shocked at just how long it will hold a gear, and at relatively high revs too.

DrDeitche is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 2.0T

I thought the same thing as I was putting my ATS4 2.0T through some wild changes, "this car is holding together really well" and realized that I was completely trusting the engineers that designed this car for me to be able to confidently challenge the corners. To be honest the best part is to pull out in a corner, hit the apex and blast it through the corner. And then I realized, "it's a Cadillac, I'm going to be ok." Every day is a new treat.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.