Tapping noise in HVAC system
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Tapping noise in HVAC system in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; ...
    Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

Tapping noise in HVAC system

How many of us have the tapping noise coming from the HVAC system? Mine taps about every 1-3 seconds and has done so since I took delivery November 10. (AtlantaGuy00 had it too. Did you get it fixed?) Another ATS in my area had its “mode actuator” replaced, which required removal of the dash. That didn’t fix the problem.

Cadillac engineers called this a “normal condition” in an email sent to my service rep. This is an unacceptable response to a problem. I would like to know if this condition is common or if it’s limited to the three of us before I escalate this issue.

Bert

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

Re: Tapping noise in HVAC system

I have the same issue, I haven't contacted my dealer yet but I plan to.

pever is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium with Driver Assist & Adv Security

I only got my ATS the week before Xmas, and have had a horrid cold since... my ears are so clogged now that I can barely hear my keyboard clicks.
    BUT when I was able to drive it, I did hear a faint ticking noice coming from the centre vent area. It was noticeable when parked. And, yes it was repeating once every few seconds.
    It was faint and did not sound like an actuator action to me...
    I have an electronic thermostat for in-floor heating that "ticks" just like that as it turns on/off.

LOL maybe we should all record it and post the sound bites to compare ticks, to clicks, to taps?

AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

Mine isn't fixed yet. I was waiting to see how other faired before they took my dash out. Since my dealer was unable to recrete the problem I had previously recorded it. I uploaded it to Youtube. You can "listen" to it here. It has been much worse that this video illustrates. Sorry the car is dirty! http://youtu.be/XnyivwVR8-I

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

If we can check into the HVAC noise concern further with any of your dealerships, please let us know! We'll do our best to work with you towards a resolution, if available. We can be contacted by private message (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation).

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

Its an ATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Premium 3.6 AWD
    I don't have time to take my car to the dealership every 2 secs when I find something wrong...

Bert,

Does the sound from mine sound like yours? I made another recording too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY-Mptpww8Y&sns=em

Let me know. I sent one of these videos to my dealer and asked them to figure it out before they take my dash out! However, you have the most experience with this issue.

Also, what dealer is servicing your car? If they need to speak with a service department with experience can I refer them to yours?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy00 View Post
    Bert,

Does the sound from mine sound like yours? I made another recording too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY-Mptpww8Y&sns=em

Let me know. I sent one of these videos to my dealer and asked them to figure it out before they take my dash out! However, you have the most experience with this issue.

Also, what dealer is servicing your car? If they need to speak with a service department with experience can I refer them to yours?
    The noise in your recording is exactly the same as my car, same tone and cadence. I can give you the name of my dealer (Huber Cadillac in Omaha, NE) but they haven’t replaced anyone’s actuator yet. They have only attempted to reprogram it. There is another dealer in Kearney, Nebraska that attempted this repair last week but without success. My service rep and I were waiting for their results before proceding.

Thanks, I sent the video and a NICE email to my dealer asking them to look into the situation and to let me know once a KNOWN resolution has been found. I don't want to be the experiment project either. My fear was that they would try and replace the actuator and now I can tell them that this doesn't work, and if you don't beleive me call Huber Cadillac! Likewise, if they do find a solution I'll let you know with a message here.

xtheunknown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.5L

My ATS has done this since I picked it up. I turned off the fan and it stops. It is somewehat annoying, especially in a $38,000 car.

Yes, it's annoying and you can't keep the fan off all of the time.

AZCADATS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6

My car has the same issue. Exact same sound and frequency while the heater is running.

Has anyone had their HVAC fixed yet? A Cadillac engineer told my service rep that they don't have a fix for the problem. My rep told me that it could be months, a year or longer before a solution is found.

I'm considering having someone else fix my ATS and billing Cadillac for the repair. Anyone done that without litigation?

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    Has anyone had their HVAC fixed yet? A Cadillac engineer told my service rep that they don't have a fix for the problem. My rep told me that it could be months, a year or longer before a solution is found.

I'm considering having someone else fix my ATS and billing Cadillac for the repair. Anyone done that without litigation?
    Based on the info. that you've provided here, I haven't taken the car back in for that. However, since I live in Ga and we have mild winters (not sure where you are) I have learned to live with it. It's intermittent so it's only a pesky problem. Now, if it begins to do that with the AC with these hot Ga summers I'm gonna raise all mighty hell. I just tellin' ya' now, if it starts acting up with the AC (it didn't last summer so fingers crossed) I'll sell the car.

AtlantaGuy00, I live in Nebraska where we're still in the heating season. I noticed this morning that the noise is getting louder. Turning up the tunes is no longer effective. I've been researching borescopes. I'm thinking of buying one to put into the ducts to see for myself what's happening. Unfortunately, they're not cheap.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.