Tapping noise in HVAC system - Page 8
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Tapping noise in HVAC system in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I purchased my ATS about 4 weeks ago and have noticed the "ticking" noise coming from the fan of the ...
    mokenney is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS

Re: Tapping noise in HVAC system

I purchased my ATS about 4 weeks ago and have noticed the "ticking" noise coming from the fan of the climate control system. I have tried switching it to different options but the noise remains. I really wanted to avoid taking the car back to the dealership but it looks like I'm going to have to because I absolutely hate having this noise and simply turning up the volume on my radio is not an option for me. Hopefully the dealership will be able to fix this although I don't like the thought of them having to take the dash out.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Mokenney, my car goes in to be fixed Thursday. My dealer will be reprogramming the HVAC module, which does not require taking the dash apart. Cadillac released a new software upgrade a few weeks ago. I will comment on my results when I get my car back. Bert

pever is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium with Driver Assist & Adv Security
    Had hated that noise in the heater... Like a metronome. Had the program change done Friday and gave it a test today on a long drive I do weekly. The "fix" seems to include having Auto mode run with a higher fan speed. Maybe that keeps the "flap" open that was making the noise? Anyway, I tried and was able to hear it a couple "clicks" but if I did not know what to listen for it would not have been noticed. I am hoping that is it... But I will watch to see if the cure has any side effects.

katz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 3.6 AWD Luxury ATS

I had the update also, and I am not very happy with the outcome, You still hear the clicking when the heat is on, just not as often, which to me is not a fix - it's a patch. Still annoying when you don't have the radio on and have a passenger (client) in the car with you and they ask "what's that tapping sound"-embarrassing.
    I do not believe GM cannot find a way to Eliminate the problem.

cztrammell is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

I got my car last week and I have the issue with a faint tick sound about every few seconds. Auto AC is Off. And, I don't hear it when my audio volume is set at least #8 (never tried tuning it down lower). It seems like others are having worse noises than this.

So far, I have an appointment with my dealer next weekend to possibly check this out, but I'm going to play around with the climate settings to see if I can change the noise frequency.

AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

Quote Originally Posted by cztrammell View Post
    I got my car last week and I have the issue with a faint tick sound about every few seconds. Auto AC is Off. And, I don't hear it when my audio volume is set at least #8 (never tried tuning it down lower). It seems like others are having worse noises than this.

So far, I have an appointment with my dealer next weekend to possibly check this out, but I'm going to play around with the climate settings to see if I can change the noise frequency.
    I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, but you can't stop it yourself with setting changes. Beleive me, I tried for months. Just save yourself a big headache and take the car to the dealer and have the HVAC module updated. Trust me on this one. And do it before spring. It will only do this with the heat on. When spring comes, the dealer will have a harder time recreating the noise, and that may cause you some grief.

Cztrammel, I agree with AtlantaGuy00, get to the dealer and have the HVAC module recalibrated. My ATS is at the dealer now and I hope to report positive results this weekend.

I spent about two hours in my car after the HVAC recalibration. No tapping whatsoever! It's the first time since November 12 that I feel good about buying my car. Cheers to Cadillac for paying attention to customer's concerns. Bert

I hereby rescind this comment. Bert really has the blues now. 4/1/13

It great to finally have that behind us isne't it?! I'm like you, I'm also really enjoying the car now!

I just can’t get a break. I had the HVAC recalibration done last week. Before then, I heard 54 taps per minute. Now I’m down to about 8 per minute. The sound, while less frequent, is just as loud as before and more infuriating than ever. Bert

Oh man that really sucks. I suspect that they also replace my HVAC module before they recalibrated it. You'll have to take it back. It may be possible to fix it yet, if the only reprogramed the old one and didn't replace the module also.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by cztrammell View Post

cztrammell,

I am sorry to hear of the HVAC problems your vehicle is experiencing. However, congratulations on getting your car last week! Which model of the Cadillac vehicle do you have? You are right in taking your vehicle to the dealership so they can correctly diagnose your issue and repair it if necessary. I would love to stay involved throughout this process. Message us back to let us know how everything goes! Also stay connected and post any other concerns or comments you may have. We are here to help!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

ATSunacceptable1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 AWD

I reported on this thread on February 11th that I got the software update that Cadillac engineering released to the dealers on February 10th.
    I told you all that the update did, in fact, retard the frequency so that it was less annoying. Some of you have indicated that you no longer
    hear the noise at all. So since six weeks has passed and there's been no updated information, I asked the dealer to pursue a permanent fix
    instead of the 6 week old bandaid. My work order reads as follows: "CONTACTED TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE, CASE ESCALATED BACK TO ENGINEERING, NO NEW BULLETINS", which is Cadillac's way of saying we've got problems far more important that your little dash noise. I then
    spoke to my district rep at Cadillac Customer Assurance and was told there's nothing left for her to do and my case will once again be closed.
    Right now I'm thinking Cadillac missed their target badly, because this car is NOT beating BMW or Mercedes in quality. Performance is nice,
    but attention to quality issues brings back customers...or NOT.

My service rep has been in contact with Cadillac engineering this week regarding the tapping problem. He was told that they were not working on a permanent fix at this time. My only choices now include replacing the mode actuator, which is a complex and labor intensive operation or use earplugs and antihypertensives. OK, I added that second option as a joke but it really isn't funny. Bert

Wow I'm amazed Bert. I'm thinking our cars were probably built near the same time. My dealer took a couple extra days and had to order addional parts because the car was "fighting" them. I don't know what they did exactly to fix it but it worked. The service ticket says: Instpect and replace the fan module (367WPC95) and HVAC System Control Module Reporgramming with the same code number. So, they must have replaced something in addition to the reprogramming. Good luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.