Tapping noise in HVAC system - Page 7
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Tapping noise in HVAC system in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; OK I'm going in for my CUE updates on Monday. The dealer said that it will take a couple of ...
    AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

Re: Tapping noise in HVAC system

OK I'm going in for my CUE updates on Monday. The dealer said that it will take a couple of days b/c they have to replace the center stack for some reason. I mentioned the tapping noise, and nobody has brought one back to them for it, so they are unaware of this problem and the CUE updates list doesn't mention HVAC. However, they are going to try and recreate the problem. I showed them the video (I was in with the DTS for something else) and that was the first time they ever heard this. Anyway, here I go. I'm going to print out parts of this thread so that they don't have to "re-create the wheel" so to speak. Wish me luck!

dave816 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS Premium 2L Turbo

I have to join the club, I too have the noise in the HVAC system. I am glad I found this discussion, at least I know I am not alone. I stopped in dealer today, (I just got letter about CUE update), to make appt. I mentioned this tapping noise, it was the first he heard of it. I also mentioned software update for HVAC system, didn't seem to know anything about that either. I made appt. for Thursday to do CUE updates, and hopefully HVAC update as well. That sound is very annoying especially in a $48,000 car! Are there any special procedures dealer must go through to find HVAC update?

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi everyone,

I wanted to post again to pass along some further, updated information to you.

A faint clicking or ticking noise may indeed be heard in the ATS when the heating-ventilation-air conditioning (HVAC) system is on, the blower is running at lower speeds, the radio is off or volume turned down very low, and the windows are closed. This noise may be intermittent. This noise may be coming from the temperature actuator(s) moving during normal temperature control operations as the system works to maintain the desired temperature setting. Cadillac apologizes for this, and in response to your concerns, has released a new calibration! Your dealer can install this new calibration in the HVAC module to improve this condition.

If the calibration did not resolve your concerns, please take your car to the dealer. If the dealer cannot resolve the issue, they should contact GM Technical Assistance, who will then assist the dealer in determining the appropriate next steps.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

ewired is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    Katie, can you please post any TSB numbers referencing the calibration. I had my CUE updated last week and this was on my fix list. All I got was that this is normal and of course the first that anyone has complained about. They also dismissed my seat bunching as normal for this vehicle as well as my wheel clicking as could not duplicate.

Ewired, I apologize but unfortunately I don't have that information at this time. If you still have concerns after contacting your dealer regarding these updates, then please feel free to contact me anytime via email (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com) or private message. Customer Service is always happy to step in and follow up with your dealer on your behalf at any point!

Best,

Katie

Update: The car is in the shop now for CUE updates and this. Thankfully, the tapping noise was at full bore when I took it in. When I use the word "intermitent" the service rep. was like: "sounds constant to me". I was happy that they could hear it and I showed him the module update I got off of here. I'm hoping they can fix it the first time. I'll keep you posted, but I'm happy then could hear it because last time they couldn't.

AtlantaGuy, I saw you posted your updates on another thread as well, so thank you again for keeping the community in the loop regarding your experience. I'll keep my eye on this thread for your updates, and please do get in touch with me if you would like any further assistance along the way.

Katie

rustybear3 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy00 View Post
    Update: The car is in the shop now for CUE updates and this. Thankfully, the tapping noise was at full bore when I took it in. When I use the word "intermitent" the service rep. was like: "sounds constant to me". I was happy that they could hear it and I showed him the module update I got off of here. I'm hoping they can fix it the first time. I'll keep you posted, but I'm happy then could hear it because last time they couldn't.
    You know, there's a lot of bs going around with some of these dealers......my dealer was not only aware of the problem, but said he had the gm software correction for all ATS & XTS vehicles that come in for the CUE update. I read posts by other members whose dealers state to them "they haven't a clue" or don't hear it, etc. You shouldn't have to be responsible for giving them service or update numbers; THEY SHOULD HAVE THEM. They all get the same update and service fixes from GM don't they?

Thanks Katie! The dealer called and said they needed the car longer. They are doing the CUE update and fixing this. They have to order more parts and said that the tapping noise was being pesky to repair. I didn't ask questions. I must trust them. They are the best Cadillac dealer in Atlanta, INHO.

Steve 717 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Manual

I mentioned the clicking when I took my car in for the CUE update today. They applied the code change to the HVAC system control module. I haven't heard the click return yet, but will be listening for it.

Car is still in the shop, goin on day five. I gave them the fix info from here to make it easier for them. The dealer said the car is "fighting" us whatever that means. They keep ordering parts. I'm getting really nervous. Why is this taking a week? What have they done to my car? I'll update you when and if I get the car back. Ugh.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy00 View Post
    Car is still in the shop, goin on day five.
    Well, at least they didn't just shrug and give you back your car. It sounds like they're not giving up, which is good not only for you but the rest of us too. Good luck. Bert

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    Well, at least they didn't just shrug and give you back your car. It sounds like they're not giving up, which is good not only for you but the rest of us too. Good luck. Bert
    Yes Bert, this is turning into a matter of trust. This dealer has serviced all 5 of my Cadillacs and has always done exceptional work. I told them to take their time and do it right. I'm not going to call and bug them. I'll definately update you when I get the car back and let you know what they did. I know you have a particular interest in the fix.

Well all, I'm happy to report that my problem appears to be solved. I'm so releived. This was a big deal for me. I picked the car up and in perfect conditions for it to make the popping noice (outside temp. 48-50, inside temp set to 75 to 80 but that never mattered ). I heard it pop twice in 45 mins and about 30 miles. When I was listening for it as the car equalized the temp., I heard it pop twice, just one single tick. I timed it and after the first pop, it was 2 mins before I heard another faint, single tick. If I didn't know what to listen for I would have never heard it. Then eventually I got tired of listening for it and I never heard it again. Before I took the car in, the noise would drown out the radio. Whew! They said that they just re-programed the module as others have mentioned here, but they said that they had to do it twice that's what took so long. On the service ticket, it says that they replaced the module so I'm thinking that they had to replace the original module and re-program that one I don't think they like to go into the nitty gritty details. All I know is I had nice hot quiet heat on a cold day. The car was returned ini perfect condition. I feel like an ordeal is over.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

Awesome AtlantaGuy00! I'm calling my dealer Monday to schedule an appointment. And, my apologies for letting you be the Guinea pig. My dealer was a wimp. Bert

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.