Tapping noise in HVAC system - Page 6
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Tapping noise in HVAC system in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues Yes, please update. My service rep has been in contact with a Cadillac engineer ...
    ATSunacceptable1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 AWD

Re: Tapping noise in HVAC system

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    Yes, please update. My service rep has been in contact with a Cadillac engineer on this problem. They talked yesterday about this but the engineer knew nothing about it.

ATSunacceptable1, do you have a description from the printed service receipt?
    Following are the instructions from my dealer:
    Use Tech II to "Recalibrate HVAC Module".
    If the dealer needs specs, they should contact Cadillac Technical Assistance.
    The software update is available to all Caddy dealers.

The tapping noise is still present, but the update retards the noise from 20 times per minute to once, sometimes twice per minute.
    The "annoying factor" is totally better, plus knowing that Cadillac tuned in to fixing the problem.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your individual situations.

Illini333 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Premium

I stumbled on this thread by accident; been wondering about the darn noise. I've learned to just crank up the stereo. LOL

Lake_Grl is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I also received the update and can confirm that although the noise is still present, it is no longer a constant. Huge improvement! My dealer contacted the regional mgr. who then contacted the quality assurance person for the ATS and that is how he was able to track down the update. Hope that helps!

josefelipe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Anyone have an issue with the "Auto" setting? I turned the feature off, but came on twice this week.

josefelipe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Anyone have an issue with the "Auto" setting? I turned the feature off, but came on twice this week.

CarolinaCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS Turbo

I first posted on these forums because my ATS Turbo has a stumbling issue at idle. The first time I brought it in (within first week) they said they did some "updates" but that did not fix the issue. Today (week two) it started doing it again at idle AND on top of that I am hearing the rattle or tap discussed in this thread and have noticed that in many cases the AC and fan just turn on automatically. So tomorrow its back to the dealer. I am sure they will say it is all normal and theyhave nothing to go on but I cannot believe that for the money put on this car that we have to consider these issues "normal." Now I am wondering if I made a good decision with this car. One more time and the lemon law kicks in. So much for the "N.A. Car of the Year."

jeffroeson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Metallic Silver, 2.0L Turbo, Performance, Morello Red

When does this problem first become noticable? I'm in my second week now and don't hear anything

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance
    The tapping in my car started the first day I drove it, Nov 12. Don't despair (like I did initially). We're all waiting for a solution.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by jeffroeson View Post
    When does this problem first become noticable? I'm in my second week now and don't hear anything
    You probably won't. It apparently is an isolated problem with certain production runs....I've had my car since last October with no ticking problem whatsoever...if you have this problem you'll know it from the start....

cullama213 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo

To be honest, you will only know it if you have to use the heat... Down here in sunny Florida, I have only turned my heat on once since taking delivery in November. And that one time I noticed the ticking. Though it isn't a problem for me all the time, I still want to make sure it gets fixed well before the warranty runs out (though that is still a long time away)

katz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 3.6 AWD Luxury ATS

mine going in next week - for this HVAC repair and the CUE upgrade

Dealer advised me of the HVAC fix is 2 part, 1st is the software update to lessen issue, then if that doesn't work on some early model builds like mine they will install a felt-type washer to deaden the sound more.
    The felt washer has been a running change so yours may already have that installed. Glad to hear the software update does make some difference.

paul780 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T

I received the new CUE software update last Friday. While there the dealership told me my HVAC software was not running the latest version either, so that was updated as well. Since this was done the tapping noise has improved greatly. I do still hear the noise occasionally, but it happens rarely enough that I'm not losing my mind anymore. Perhaps a future update will eliminate the noise completely, but this current update improved my situation quite a bit.

drsketch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

I noticed this noise for the first time yesterday.

ATSunacceptable1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 AWD

The software update slowed the occurrence of the noise from 20 times/minute to slightly over 1 time/min.
    To eliminate the noise requires a mechanical fix. See KATZ above. I am pursuing felt washer through dealer
    and Cadillac Customer Care. Seems like Cadillac should be driving this correction, but that's not happening.

JLGOLDEN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

My ATS makes a slight, muted plastic popping noise at idle...for sure in the duct work. I suspect a temperature blend door actuator is hanging up. Perhaps even a malformed piece of duct work is rubbing on the door. I'll report this when I'm in for my first service.

----------

My auto-fan is set to allow the "lowest" fan speed, via the AC customization menu...yet always blasts me with full force air. I also think the temp sensor is faulty. I have to set my AC on at least 75 or else there is frosty air blasting non stop, especially from the ducts which blow onto my feet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.