Tapping noise in HVAC system - Page 5
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Tapping noise in HVAC system in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I just drove my 2007 DTS on a 1000 mile road trip this weekend. It was GLORIOUS to have silent ...
    AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

Re: Tapping noise in HVAC system

I just drove my 2007 DTS on a 1000 mile road trip this weekend. It was GLORIOUS to have silent heat. How could a new Cadillac have messed up something so basic? I'm dumbfounded. I actually want to NOT drive the ATS on cold days. Very sad. If Cadillac doesn't fix this fast and right, I'm sad to say this may be my 5th, and last Cadillac.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

AltandaGuy00, I recently drove 900 miles in a two-day trip. Sadly, I drove my wife's 8-year-old Toyota just so I wouldn't have to listen to the niose. Bert

hunter28630 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 2013

I also have this noise. I took it to my dealer and they stated they updated the program for the HVAC actuator and stated it would help a little. I can't tell any difference. It is still very annoying. Like another person stated, I don't even want to turn on my climate control. They stated that engineering at cadillac is looking for a solution. This is my first cadillac. I love the car, but this one very annoying issue may prevent me from purchasing another one in the future. I really hope they provide a real solution and real quick.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

This exact problem happen in the 2006 silverado......solution....reference bulletin #06-01-38-003

cause: This condition was caused by the HVAC actuators that may hunt for the correct commanded position. This position may cause a clicking or ticking noise. An over travel of the HVAC system control doors may cause one or more of the concerns listed above. If overtravel occurs, a DTC will be set and the door will go to a preset default position. clearing the DTC would allow door to operate properly until the overtravel position happened again. In this bulletin technicians were presented with new calibrations to correct overtravel condition, hunting, and clicking noises.

Perhaps this would be the solution to your problem.

pever is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium with Driver Assist & Adv Security

It is a sound related to a plastic flap, or a flap that closes on a plastic vent... sometimes it is so loud and distinct that I have been convinced of this. I even have a scope but have not bothered to use it to check. I just had my car in this past week. They report:
    "Clicking caused by door moving in heater box - related to PIC 5786 - changes with temp due to plastic flex with temp - engineering working on solution. No action taken at this time."

I drive long distances a couple times a week and like to pull over for a break, make calls, answer emails, etc., and that noise is annoying for sure... much louder than any creaks that my >415,000 km last car had!

Has anyone else noticed that Cadillac Cusomer Service has been conspicuously absent from this thread since the first day I started it? Sarah was kind enough to comment but I think they have since forsaken us until a solution is found. I really want to know what Cadillac is doing to address this condition. Cadillac, what is the plan? My dealer's service rep has no answer for me. Bert

kevinr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS
    Quote Originally Posted by xtheunknown
    No fair; It's January and you actually need the AC! Speaking of AC. When my climate control is set to AUTO, my AC is always on. I assume thats for the dehumidifying, but if that is the case, then won't the tap always be there?
    You're absolutely right. I should have phrased that differently: no heat = no tap. I only hear the tap when the cabin air is being warmed; not when it's being cooled.

AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

----------

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinr View Post
    You're absolutely right. I should have phrased that differently: no heat = no tap. I only hear the tap when the cabin air is being warmed; not when it's being cooled.
    I bought mine the first part of Oct. When it's still very hot in Georgia. Never heard the tap until December when the heat came on. We had some warm days recently and the A/C came on. No tap. It's definitely heated air related. Not the compressor which runs a lot for dehumidifying. Somewhere (maybe here) I read that the plastic airflow door flexes when warm. Maybe it's too thin, and considering Cadillacs zeal for weight savings on this car I wouldn't be surprised. I'm coming to the conclusion that the fix is mechanical, not softwear. We're approaching warm weather here in Georgia by End of March. It will be next year (if lucky) before I see any fix unless its fixed over the summer for next season. I just hope they don't introduce any rattles if/when they tear the dash out.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that Cadillac Cusomer Service has been conspicuously absent from this thread since the first day I started it? Sarah was kind enough to comment but I think they have since forsaken us until a solution is found. I really want to know what Cadillac is doing to address this condition. Cadillac, what is the plan? My dealer's service rep has no answer for me. Bert
    Bert, thank you for drawing my attention to this thread! I'm so sorry to hear about the frustrations mentioned, and I'm documenting your feedback where the appropriate GM teams can view it.

As Sarah mentioned on the first page here, we would be happy to look into your individual concerns on a case-by-case basis. So, please feel free to contact us anytime by private message or by email (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com). While we unfortunately can't comment at this time on any widespread solutions, we are definitely here to investigate further for you!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ATSunacceptable1 View Post
    I will continue to pursue quality resolution with dealership and Cadillac Customer Care. Certainly not what I'd expect from North American Car of the Year!
    Then will you change your name? Probably not...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy00 View Post
    ----------

I bought mine the first part of Oct. When it's still very hot in Georgia. Never heard the tap until December when the heat came on. We had some warm days recently and the A/C came on. No tap. It's definitely heated air related. Not the compressor which runs a lot for dehumidifying. Somewhere (maybe here) I read that the plastic airflow door flexes when warm. Maybe it's too thin, and considering Cadillacs zeal for weight savings on this car I wouldn't be surprised. I'm coming to the conclusion that the fix is mechanical, not softwear. We're approaching warm weather here in Georgia by End of March. It will be next year (if lucky) before I see any fix unless its fixed over the summer for next season. I just hope they don't introduce any rattles if/when they tear the dash out.
    I don't see how this problem is NOT mechanical...

ATSunacceptable1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 AWD

My dealer installed software update today that was issued Sunday February 10th. I picked up the vehicle this afternoon, and no matter how hard I tried, I could not detect the tapping. Hope you all get your software upgrade, and we'll meet back here in a few days!
    Give me a few days of quiet, and I will change my name.

ATSunacceptable1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6 AWD

See #71

paul780 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by ATSunacceptable1 View Post
    See #71
    So what's the verdict? It's been a couple days, is tapping noise still gone after software update? Very much hoping it is so I can bring mine in for the update myself.

Quote Originally Posted by paul780 View Post
    So what's the verdict? It's been a couple days, is tapping noise still gone after software update? Very much hoping it is so I can bring mine in for the update myself.
    Yes, please update. My service rep has been in contact with a Cadillac engineer on this problem. They talked yesterday about this but the engineer knew nothing about it.

ATSunacceptable1, do you have a description from the printed service receipt?

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

My dealer has no updates for my vehicle other than the checking of the torque on the manifold/turbo for additional flex.
    I spoke with them yesterday on this, so for now I'm not believing a fix has been put out for this problem. Which is too bad, it'd sure be nice to be fixed!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.