Tapping noise in HVAC system - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Tapping noise in HVAC system in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Got a call from the dealer today, in regards to other problems the tapping noise was observed and GM is ...
    bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

Re: Tapping noise in HVAC system

Got a call from the dealer today, in regards to other problems the tapping noise was observed and GM is aware of the issue. There is little published to dealers in regards to it, it just states that they are aware of the issue. He said that GM will make a decision on that, but as of now there is no fix. He said that it's even possible GM could deem it normal, and therefore there wouldn't be any fix for the issue.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

Quote Originally Posted by bungee91 View Post
    He said that it's even possible GM could deem it normal, and therefore there wouldn't be any fix for the issue.
    My dealer’s service rep also used the term “normal”, which is unacceptable to me. They couldn’t fix my car so they’re keeping the repair “open” until a fix is found. If they close it without fixing it and I bring it back three more times for the same problem, my state’s lemon laws kick in. Then they will have to refund my purchase price less mileage allowance. I’m completely satisfied with my car except for the constant tapping. I can’t imagine not fixing this. And, how can I sell it with that racket? Who would buy it? That would be a financial loss that I’m unwilling to accept. Bert

AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

If it were "normal", then wouldn't every single ATS manufactured using the same parts make the same noise? But they all don't. Also, I've come to realize why mine makes the noise intermittently. When the heat is on and the car hasn't achieved the set temp, it's quiet. However, when the set temp is achieved and the car reduces the amount of heat it's sending, the noise begins. Increasing the set temp by a degree or two quiets it down for awhile. But, it's not long before you're roasting. That's not normal.

HEATHERZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS

Exclamation Re: Tapping noise in HVAC system

Oh boy looks like I've joined the club...I've had my ATS week and I have the same tap...tap...tapping noise. Come on it is a Cadillac don't they pride themselves in a quiet cabin experience with noise canceling technology etc.?

I think that since it's not safety related and the repair will be expensive, that we're going to get the shaft. If it's normal, then all of them will do it. I'm thinking tanked sales once the word gets out and/ or class action lawsuit.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

Heatherz, welcome to the club. Whenever I hear something about this problem, I'll share on this thread. Stay tuned and let the rest of know if you have any new information to offer. I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together. Bert

xtheunknown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.5L
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy00

Thanks bungee. After compareing notes with other here, it seems that the dealers don't know what to do. But, we have to report the issue so Cadillac can understand the scope. Let me know what they tell you and I'll do the same. I guess I'll take in in later this week.
    I have my first service on Thursday, so I'll report the issue to get it on the record.

kevinr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS
    Mine too. So far only when heater is on. AC = no tap.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinr View Post
    Mine too. So far only when heater is on. AC = no tap.
    No fair; It's January and you actually need the AC! Speaking of AC. When my climate control is set to AUTO, my AC is always on. I assume thats for the dehumidifying, but if that is the case, then won't the tap always be there?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy00 View Post
    I think that since it's not safety related and the repair will be expensive, that we're going to get the shaft. If it's normal, then all of them will do it. I'm thinking tanked sales once the word gets out and/ or class action lawsuit.
    You have a brand new car. It takes time to get the ball rolling with enough complaints and then figuring out the problem and then the fix.

They will fix it eventually, but they're not going to authorize guess fixes until they know for sure.

Back in '04/'05, guys with early CTS-Vs were blowing up differentials at an alarming rate. The community got upset and made a stink to their dealers and here. Cadillac realized that the reputation of the V and the company was risked enough and worked with us. They even had corporate, with engineers, on conference call with a few of our respected members.

There were 4 different differentials used until the last was strong enough to be the final product. Along with bushings to reduce the vicious wheelhop that led to explosion.

Don't give up. But don't sit back waiting for someone else to get theirs fixed first.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by xtheunknown View Post
    No fair; It's January and you actually need the AC! Speaking of AC. When my climate control is set to AUTO, my AC is always on. I assume thats for the dehumidifying, but if that is the case, then won't the tap always be there?
    You can set your ac off in the auto mode...just hit your climate icon, and if you have it set for auto, you'll see an ac on or off that you can touch on your CUE display near the top....

exesivefire is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0t AWD
    I heard it on mine last night too.. But I usually have the radio on. Must have been the first time I didn't have the radio on while the heat was on.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by exesivefire View Post
    I heard it on mine last night too.. But I usually have the radio on. Must have been the first time I didn't have the radio on while the heat was on.
    Hey, you're the first ATS owner I've heard of in the Cleveland area...I've seen no ATS's on the road....sorry to hear about your problem; try Dave Towell Cadillac in Akron....I've found they solve just any problem....

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    You can set your ac off in the auto mode...just hit your climate icon, and if you have it set for auto, you'll see an ac on or off that you can touch on your CUE display near the top....
    No CUE, just the base climate control.

From my observations it's not the A/C compressor that's causing the issue, it's heat. It's also not the direction of the airflow, so it's not an actuator door. Whatever makes air hot is the problem. Beleive me I've tried every combination of A/C, and airflow and it's when the warm air set temp equalizes with the temp. of the cabin. Then it starts. If you get it really hot in there and turn the system down to 60 and the A/C starts to cool the cabin, the noise will stop. Someone check to see if I'm right. It would be like validating an experiment.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.