Ats power steering failure
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Ats power steering failure in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Have had ats about a month now, in very dry climate. Ran it through car wash yesterday with the normal ...
    texjrk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx atx

Unhappy Ats power steering failure

Have had ats about a month now, in very dry climate. Ran it through car wash yesterday with
    the normal spray to enter and standard wash. Turned off the car during the wash and restarted at completion.--no power steering at all. Can just imagine what would happen in a heavy rain or water puddle. Happened to a small female that didn't have the strength to muscle it.
    Very dangerous situation. Have appointment with the dealer in a couple of days. Very concerned with electronic steering.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

zr1mom is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Prem 2.0T AWD Black Raven Red

Re: Ats power steering failure

Other owners have had issues with the electronic steering but so far haven't seen what causes it or a fix.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Texjrk, I'm so sorry to hear you experienced this! I can understand how this would be frustrating for you, especially after owning your ATS for only a month. Please keep us updated after your dealer visit, and if you would like me to investigate further for you or contact your dealer for you at any point, please let me know! I'm available via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com, and including the last eight of your VIN in your email would be very helpful.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

texjrk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): srx atx

ats vin 8D0135985. HAVE CALLED CADILLAC HOUSE AND THEY SAY BRING IT IN 12/26/12. WILL BE THERE EARLY. REALLY AFRAID TO DRIVE CAR IN WET SITUATIONS AS STEERING IS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE.
    DEALER IS AUSTIN TEXAS. THANKS FOR ANY HELP POSSIBLE-- THEY STILL HAVE MY TRADE IN---

Thanks for your prompt response, texjrk! I checked my GM resources and can report there are no open recalls on your ATS. If you're still having concerns while working with your dealer this week, please do email me and I can step in to follow up with them on your behalf. Your safety is of utmost importance to Cadillac, and I will also be in the office 12/26 and will be sure to check my email that day in case you would like further assistance!

Katie

pever is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium with Driver Assist & Adv Security
    I had the power steering failure today while driving -pulling away so not at any real speed. Appropriate error message in the DIC. Pulled (!!!!) over, restarted, no problem after that - except maybe a tad anxious.

2.0T AWD Automatic

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual
    I received this same error for the 3rd time this morning. Initially I seen it for the first time a couple of weeks prior, now I had it come up this last Friday and again this morning.
    I have an appointment with the dealer this Thursday to see if they can do anything.
    I don't actually lose power steering at all, I just receive the message. It seems to only happen when turning from a dead stop. All 3 times were when turning left. I don't believe it to be idle related but not certain. Remember too that manual transmission cars typically have a bit higher idle programmed into them for drivability with clutch engagement/etc.

I'll post results if the dealer has any luck figuring this out.

frankc5r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2.0 ATS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by bungee91 View Post
    I received this same error for the 3rd time this morning. Initially I seen it for the first time a couple of weeks prior, now I had it come up this last Friday and again this morning.
    I have an appointment with the dealer this Thursday to see if they can do anything.
    I don't actually lose power steering at all, I just receive the message. It seems to only happen when turning from a dead stop. All 3 times were when turning left. I don't believe it to be idle related but not certain. Remember too that manual transmission cars typically have a bit higher idle programmed into them for drivability with clutch engagement/etc.

I have had sveral messages like u but never felt anything in the steering but do get the "service pwr steering" message.
    Dealer checked and got C054 chassis error code which is angle sensor. Reprogrammed ecm and reset sensor but few hrs later
    got same message so problem is not fixed. Dealer put in the latest ecm flash so obviously they have not found the software
    glitch yet.
    frank

My service appointment for an actual power steering failure (plus a "service power steering" message) is Wednesday. I will report back on what, if anything, they conclude.

Quote Originally Posted by pever View Post
    My service appointment for an actual power steering failure (plus a "service power steering" message) is Wednesday. I will report back on what, if anything, they conclude.
    Pever, thank you for keeping us in the loop! I'm happy to investigate concerns further for you (or contact your dealer to follow up on an lingering concerns post-appointment), so please private message me anytime for further assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by frankc5r View Post
    I have had sveral messages like u but never felt anything in the steering but do get the "service pwr steering" message.
    Dealer checked and got C054 chassis error code which is angle sensor. Reprogrammed ecm and reset sensor but few hrs later
    got same message so problem is not fixed. Dealer put in the latest ecm flash so obviously they have not found the software
    glitch yet.
    frank

Frank and Bungee, thank you as well for keeping all of us up-to-date on your progress! I look forward to your updates, and I'm just a private message or email (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com) if you would like my assistance working with your respective dealerships.

Best,

Katie

danscrim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

Just had my first experience with this. Turning left from a dead stop and I got the error. No loss in steering or anything. I'm going to hold off on bringing it in until I hear what comes out of your service visit. Thanks bungee!

My dealer reports:

"Steering position signal calibration not programmed".

Now programmed. I am new to the dealer, but hoping they are as good as they seem.

(They are now tracking down my driver's seat memory glitch - inconsistent memory of position.)

My dealer reports:

"Steering position signal calibration not programmed".

Now programmed. I am new to the dealer, but hoping they are as good as they seem.

(They are now tracking down my driver's seat memory glitch - inconsistent memory of position.)
    Tell them to do recall 12262, seat memory control module. The module was not replaced but it was reprogrammed. So far so good.
    The number 12262 is from my dealer invoice printout and may be the recall number but in any case your dealer should be able to find it.
    My dealer service writter was writiing up the steering problem when he said we will do the seat module recall at same time.

Let us know about whether your steering problem is fixed.

frank

As best I understand it, Bulletin 12262 REMOVES the seat memory association from the key fobs leaving seat positioning to the CUE personalization and door buttons. If you have more than one frequent driver, you might not want that change. It is not a fix, per se, but rather it seems to be a work-around based upon a notion that the user is misunderstanding how it should work... from what I have learned.

As best I understand it, Bulletin 12262 REMOVES the seat memory association from the key fobs leaving seat positioning to the CUE personalization and door buttons. If you have more than one frequent driver, you might not want that change. It is not a fix, per se, but rather it seems to be a work-around based upon a notion that the user is misunderstanding how it should work... from what I have learned.
    Thanks for that explanation but I am unaware that CUE can change seats based on which driver is using car. Does the driver have to enter
    CUE to change seat position. Pretty tough for a big guy getting into car that a small person has been using. I am probably
    misunderstanding.
    frank

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.