Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Trembling at idle

182K views 525 replies 136 participants last post by  goofygoober 
#1 ·
My 2.0T has a tendency to tremble at idle. I've switched to premium gas with no results. Also it doesn't alway happen, very irregular. Any ideas?

#291 ·
Cadillac Cust Svc said:
Hello richardbbarger,

If a customer chooses to file with the Better Business Bureau, we are still unable to assist because we consider this a legal action.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care
Thanks, Laura. Of course, non-Lemon Law Auto Line hearings with a volunteer BBB arbitrator are in no way "legal actions," but I suppose GM is entitled to call them whatever it wishes.

I appreciate your quick response.

#292 ·
I recently leased a 2.0t. I am having the same shaking issue when I come to a stop or when I am in reverse. Feels like the car is going to stall and is VERY annoying. I have brought the car into the dealership 3 times now, each time they say they fixed it and they don't. Dealer and GM act like I'm crazy and say there is nothing they can do.

It boggles me the lack of accountability from the dealership/GM and Cadillac. Every time I talk to them I am just put through circles. Looking into lemon law options and I am glad to read I am not the only person with this issue.

Any advise?

#297 ·
Yeah the rough idle is pretty rare. My 2013 is the same as yours (can only tell its running by sound). But I say its a rare problem based on the number of forum complaints per cars sold compared to past problems with other cars and how common those problems were eventually documented to be. Thinking its common or rare based just on your own personal experience or internet anecdotes is meaningless.

It's completely normal for people having the problem to be very upset and to fear it won't be fixed, just human nature.

FWIW, everything I've seen points to the problem eventually getting fixed for the few that have it. Cadillac seems to be taking a studied and measured approach to the problem including issuing a TSB that appears to fix the problem for some.

But fixing it doesn't erase the justifiable upset the victims have and are experiencing. I might be angrier than they are if it happened to me, but I wouldn't be as fearful. And feeling Cadillac doesn't care is self imposed grief that actually prolongs the agony because it turns off the people involved with getting the problem resolved, the other side of that human nature coin.

#298 ·
Welcome to the shake and tremor club you are not nuts crazy menatally insane this has been going on with my ats since April 16. The latest fix does solved at least mine . I have to wait on a deicision from my rep if the O2 sensor can be replaced.i am not happy on the with the responses from GM that GM has not provided there consumers honest answers on whats really going on.and to have dealership lie and treat us as idiots.its again time for GM to step up yet again and recall these cars with these issues and fix the dam thing and stop screwing us around.you think they would like to stay in business or are they just another large corp that doesn't care .you should push the law and whatever avenue you need to use.5 months and still have this ats with no positive direction

#299 ·
I also have the rough idling problem. I purchased the car in Feb, and noticed the shake a few days after I took it home. It was so bad that the car almost stalled a few times. I took it to the dealer twice, with the first receiving some update, and the second time I was told there was nothing wrong. After a few months I still feel the shaking, and I definitely feel like it's messing with the performance of the car. There has to be some kind of fix for this!!

#300 ·
Can you post what engine (and transmission type) you have? Or better yet add it to your profile so it appears in all your posts. The rough running problem happens to all 3 engines but suggestions and feedback can be engine specific.

Dealers often make the situation worse by telling people nothing is wrong instead of they don't know what's wrong and/or just don't want to mess with it. Dealer quality is MUCH more variable than vehicle quality. Another dealer can be a night and day difference. Dealers are independent businesses and Cadillac can apply pressure but can't really make them do something the "right" way.

#306 ·
Not mine but if you look at all the post there are a few with the V6 but they seem to be in the minority as others have said. Had essentially the same engine in the CTS that was traded and it never had any idling issues. Yes they may sound kind of funny for the first few second when starting from cold but other than that my experience is that they are smooth idling. There were some complaints about the noise from the high pressure fuel pump for the DI over in the CTS forum but haven't seen any related to that on this forum.

#313 ·
Last resort yes. Still waiting on latest move from my rep and GM. Since my EXPERT has the proof if that doesn't do than yes I will supply you ASAP .i copied your email.thanks for your input.network is waiting with baited breath trust me. Matter of fact keeps texting me when can this be done we shall see

----------

My idle was raised. Still NOT fixed

----------

Java girl hi. How many miles on yours?

----------

Hey Dawson can you ask the service mgr to replace your o2 sensor. My expert claims can be the issue.just a suggestion please advise if you can have cadillac do that.i can't ask yet till my representative reviews the experts findings.figured you could get a head jump

#316 ·
Last resort yes. Still waiting on latest move from my rep and GM. Since my EXPERT has the proof if that doesn't do than yes I will supply you ASAP .i copied your email.thanks for your input.network is waiting with baited breath trust me. Matter of fact keeps texting me when can this be done we shall see
@Muffin,
Sounds good and I hope you get your car fixed at least. With so many complaints so far, Cadillac/GM have done nothing about it. So, at this point, I am really skeptical that they will do anything about it unless something dramatic like TV coverage happens. Oh well, please let everyone know how it turns out for you.

#318 ·
Greetings All,

I am an 2.5 ATs owner since late July, and like many others I am also experiencing this terrible issue. It's embarrassing to have people ride my car sometimes. This is my first Cadillac and also the most expensive car I have ever owned. All of the other cheaper cars I have owned previously have never had an issue like this. The rough idle seems to vary in severity consistent to what others have described with one exception. My car has actually stalled 3 times now, and each time was at a stop light as soon as I left my foot off the break. I have been to the dealer once and had another appointment this coming Tuesday. The first time they said they installed an update for the rough idle, but nothing changed. I went back today to make the appointment and they said that another update is now able to be installed that should fix the issue. I am flabbergasted that such an expensive luxury car would have such a 'basic' issue.

#319 ·
I just bought my 2013 ATS 2.0T 6spd. It stalls at a minimum 2 times a day now. I drive about 120 miles a day. It doesn't have the shakes and trembles like everyone else's. It just dies. Coming to a stop from higher speeds to an off ramp or just slowing to turn into a parking lot. It is very annoying and embarrassing when I have the radio up high and don't realize it stalled....

#320 ·
The latest fix Will Not fix. Just sayin. Been there done that

----------

And the sad part is your salesperson knew about this issue and sold the car to you anyway.then tell you o well it's between you and GM now.how do sales and service sleep at nite o I know why it's not there car its yours best of luck I still fighting since April 15th get ready for the I so sorry part coming.

----------

Mal my condolences

#323 ·
Yea so far a snow job. Because of all the complaining and then the service dept look at us like we have 2 heads.this is the only car that I have had back to a dealer multiple times are kidding me 50k.i spent 18k in 2002 for a stinking Chrysler and was in the shop once for a recall.i am embarrassed to have my friends in the car now since I was questioned on why my new car of the year was idling so bad and my cue sys couldn't hold a radio station. Pretty bad I say

----------

Yes I am in the process right now

----------

It's the only way. I have try the cadillac service reps and well they tried but not enough there hands are tied.believe me bypass and go lemon.

----------

But once you do. Cadillac customer service reps are now out of the picture.the Laura's and Greg,s try there best it's not there fault and they have a Hugh amount of patience considering all the issues.i wish it wasn't the case but it is what it is

#325 · (Edited)
Yup still going because GM can't fix it so far.what sucks is this issue been since jan.are GM engineers really paying attention.what really pisses me off is that no codes so no fix.no diagnosis at all.one thing of very high interest for me the V6 hasn't been a major complaint.so maybe they accomplish the correct idles or whatever to make that smooth is this the case?

#343 ·
@Muffin,
Mine is v6 and I have this problem....may be not as bad as 4cyl turbo models, but it is there. The sad part is, it keeps getting worse slowly. I have 6500 miles on it now and started noticing vibrations getting stronger than before.

Did you give up the TV network route you mentioned few weeks ago? Just curious.

#326 ·
Muffin, Remember it is a 6 which should be smoother than a 4 by nature. Also there was not much to do with the 6 because it's been around a while and is in other GM cars CTS, SRX, Lacrosse and Camaro to name a few. . I noticed minor variations in HP between applications but that's all in the tune/config.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.