Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Trembling at idle

182K views 525 replies 136 participants last post by  goofygoober 
#1 ·
My 2.0T has a tendency to tremble at idle. I've switched to premium gas with no results. Also it doesn't alway happen, very irregular. Any ideas?

#329 ·
I've found my 2.0T did this with the dealer's tank of gas (not sure of the brand) when I drove it off the lot. I've found that a tank of Exxon gas makes this rumble at start up worse and suspect they used Exxon gas (it's right next to the dealership) but not sure. It calmed down with other brands (I've tried Shell and BP). I've only used premium so far, just went over 1K miles. Make sure you are using "Top Tier" as recommended (unless you're leasing your Caddy).

#330 ·
I don't doubt the stumble/stall problem I had the same problem with my 2008 CTS occasionally when I came to a stop it would feel like it was about to stall and started to tremble.

On the other hand my 2014 ATS 2.0 has been fantastic since I picked it up the end of June, it hasn't even come close to stalling and no trembling.

#333 ·
Count me in as well. Let me know what you need form me.

QUOTE=aselvan;10775218]@ddawson,
I have 3.6. Unfortunately, I am also living with this problem for while like few other 3.6 owners. While rattle/shake problem is not as bad as 2.5/turbo owners describe it to be, but it is very noticeable at stop light. I am still continuing to explore other options since there is not much of help from this forum (at least in my case). You can see my earlier posts in this thread [ [url]http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-technical-discussion-forum/277388-trembling-idle-11.html ][/URL]

----------

@Muffin,
Are you still planing to contact the network TV?. If so, count me in (I am sure others will follow) for any support to provide additional details (i.e. a copy of the dealer work order which states something like "this is a known issue GM is working on and that there is no fix"), any other documentation, and will even make a video of my 3.6 shaking :) and send them if that helps. May be Caddilac will do something it this gets on the air.

You can contact me at trembling_ats@selvans.net[/QUOTE]

#335 ·
Count me in as well. Let me know what you need form me.

QUOTE=aselvan;10775218]@ddawson,
I have 3.6. Unfortunately, I am also living with this problem for while like few other 3.6 owners. While rattle/shake problem is not as bad as 2.5/turbo owners describe it to be, but it is very noticeable at stop light. I am still continuing to explore other options since there is not much of help from this forum (at least in my case). You can see my earlier posts in this thread [ [url]http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-technical-discussion-forum/277388-trembling-idle-11.html ][/URL]

----------

@Muffin,
Are you still planing to contact the network TV?. If so, count me in (I am sure others will follow) for any support to provide additional details (i.e. a copy of the dealer work order which states something like "this is a known issue GM is working on and that there is no fix"), any other documentation, and will even make a video of my 3.6 shaking :) and send them if that helps. May be Caddilac will do something it this gets on the air.

You can contact me at trembling_ats@selvans.net
[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure you will get a lot of support from the viewing public who many struggle every day taking mass transit and or owning used cars. It will be like Phil Mickelson complaining about high taxes on his golf winnings. Poor guy his Cadillac shakes....Just saying

#336 · (Edited)
Well since we are at it.....

Adding myself to the long list of people with this issue. Have the 2.5 engine and this issue has been going on since the last 1,000miles or so. just hit the 6,000mi mark and its just slowly getting worse and worse. ALWAYS happens right when I am about to release the brake off a traffic light. And just recently been going on at around 40mph. It just feels like a MT car going too slow at a high gear. As if it wants to turn off.

As others have posted its kinda embarrassing. Just the other day my brother was in the car and he said "What the hell was that??!" I said "ya its this trembling thing that car has". he said " wow 36k car and their is no fix for this???? :helpless:

I don't want to be "that guy" but I really don't want to spend countless hours at the dealer for an issue that no one seems to find a fix for :-(

#341 ·
Js. You don't have a 2.5L. Do you?

----------

Hey ats mike. JSATS. Thinks your Korean car sucks. Say what did you say sonata smooth dam I thought my Kia optima was the only smooth one. But your right GM. Will figure it out AFTER rid of the 2013 2.5L shame on GM for selling the 2.5L. Knowing it had issues. Shame shame

#342 ·
Muffin said:
Hey ats mike. JSATS. Thinks your Korean car sucks. Say what did you say sonata smooth dam I thought my Kia optima was the only smooth one. But your right GM. Will figure it out AFTER rid of the 2013 2.5L shame on GM for selling the 2.5L. Knowing it had issues. Shame shame
Hey your translator isn't working..it must of stalled while typing

#345 ·
Update:

I took my car in yesterday and was given a rental while they worked on my car. The dealer said a SW update was made available on 7/31/13 by GM that was to specifically address the rough idle. I picked my car up this afternoon... So far so good, however I only live five minutes from the dealer. Sine the issue was sporadic at best only time will tell if it's truly been addressed. I will update everyone in a few days. Hopefully this resolved the issue for good.

#346 ·
Hello mal7887,

Thanks for posting your update after your dealer visit. I hope this solves your vehicle tremble at idle issue also! Please let us know how everything is going after you have driven your ATS around more. If there are additional concerns or questions, don't hesitate to contact us via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#351 ·
Update 9/10/13
So not only is the issue still not fixed, it seems to be worse at times. I took it in today Again and was told they would keep it for 3/4 days, I was given an Impala to drive. I called the Cadillac customer care 1-800 number to complain, and did the rep (Kimberly) did not seem to care at all. Her attitude suggested it was an inconvenience to talk to me. This is my first and LAST Cadillac.

#352 ·
Hello mal7887,

I am sorry if you feel you were mistreated by a Cadillac representative. I would like the opportunity to discuss your situation with you. I understand your frustration in dealing with the trembling at idle issue, and the issue not being fixed. I am sorry you feel this way about your Cadillac vehicle based on your current situation. Please reach out via private message and include your contact information, VIN, the name and location of the dealer you are working with and a reference case number if one was created with the Cadillac customer care representative. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#354 ·
My 2.0t does this constantly at low RPMs (e.g., creep speeds at lights or in parking garages). It is irritating. Dealer has confirmed, but Cadillac says it is normal for a turbo. We have had other turbos without this problem.

----------

By the way, Cadillac customer care was completely unhelpful in resolving the issue. This is not how a $45,000 car should drive.

#355 ·
Hello Mark 59,

I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue with your ATS and that it was considered operating as designed. I apologize that you had a bad experience with Customer Care team as well. Could you private message me your case number and VIN so I can look into this situation for you? Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#358 ·
I am happy to report that GM has agreed to buy back my 2.5L ATS and allow me to swap it with a 2.0T. (which is what I should have gone with in the first place) For those that are having issues contact the GM 1-800 customer service number and open a case. Be persistent, be patient, and most of all be nice to the rep! During this process, I also sent my certified lemon law claim to GM and the FLA attorney general. I'm not sure if this helped speed the process along or not, but it is also an option. Also Don't threaten them with a Lawyer or BBB, because at that point you will have no option but a lemon law claim and to work through their legal team.

Other than the engine issues with the 2.5L I love this car!

Good Luck - and THANKS GM for giving me closure on this!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.