Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Trembling at idle

182K views 525 replies 136 participants last post by  goofygoober 
#1 ·
My 2.0T has a tendency to tremble at idle. I've switched to premium gas with no results. Also it doesn't alway happen, very irregular. Any ideas?

#204 ·
@bluhaven -- as far as I know, it's for the 2.5 only...at least that's what my consultant told me. Apparently, this is very new -- she said my dealership was notified this morning. You might want to call your dealer and see if they know anything. FWIW -- I pray this issue finally goes away. It's been a long nine months of shake, rattle and roll.

#226 ·
Well here's my take on the software fix for 2.5l. I received the said fix on tuesday 8/6/2013 I am being very very honest here. The idle has been increased and has help some But the issue hasn't been completely solved when I am at a stop lite it still trembles and shakes sometimes. Not as much but still not completely fixed i am sad to report. So I hope Laura and or Greg can take this info back to GM motor engineers.we are so so close I believe and I am hoping this will get better. Please update this if anyone else has gotten the software upgrade again I believe we are in the right direction but still not 99 percent lol. Cause nothing 100. It is better but not cured

#221 ·
forgot to mention they updated my engine control module for the rough idle TSB now idles at 750 rpm instead of 600 rpm pretty smooth idle now mine never quite got to the level of stumble but it was rougher than it is now.

now that it's purring smoothly, watch my turbo cough up a vane and engine suck it in before turbo gets replaced on Tuesday

#231 · (Edited)
UPDATE -- Just had the tremble at idle ECM update for the 2.5 engine. The issue is not 100% solved but there is a huge difference! Now, when it happens, it's very, very slight and only barely felt in the steering wheel. They also found another update for HVAC. Funny thing, though -- I also had my first oil change and tire rotation and the tire pressure monitor system won't reset. Service consultant told me to drive the car a little but after going 30 miles, it's still way off. I go back Monday morning. Oh well ..........

UPDATE 8/9/13 -- Tire pressure monitor system just reset. Took nearly 24 hours and driving roughly 50 miles. Service consultant doesn't have a clue but there's no need for a Monday appointment -- they won't find anything. With all the gremlins my car has had, nothing surprises me.

#232 ·
For what this is worth. I opened my 2014 Kia serrento wow this engine 4cyl shakes a lot. Yet do not feel anything in the cabin at anytime ever.so I have my ats right beside the Kia. Ats ,
4 cyl doesn't shake half as much but yet you can feel it in the cabin. So my theory is that Kia has figured it out by putting better engine mounts and dampers so you don't feel the engine at all.greg or Laura can you pass this on. Maybe we can get this engine 100 percent. I don't think it is a software fix. Please advise. Thanks

----------

Laura/Greg I sent private email. Did you receive it.

#234 ·
Thanks for your thoughts are you asking me to make a service appointment or is this referenced to all ats owners pissed off. Thanks for your reply.

----------

Also wookie I be willing to make a appointment if Laura / Greg can confirm this. I believe what you are saying just hope that there is an adjustment .i am willing to try to help all of us.like I said my Kia shakes really bad matter of fact I was quite taken back because I expected it to be smooth because it hasn't vibrated or shook me at anytime.because of being brand new I never had to open the hood till today to compare.so lets see what comes of your idea. Thanks again

----------

Here is what I just discovered Cadillac uses a new vacuum-actuated hydraulic engine mount system on the ATS. Depending on engine speed, vacuum draws on a small diaphragm inside the mount itself, which in turn acts on the fluid inside. At idle, the mounts soften up to soak up as much thrash as possible. The faster the rpm, and thereby the more vacuum on hand, the stiffer the mount. So can these be fixed wookie?

----------

Idles seems smoother with update. Yet at a stop lite or siting in traffic this car tremors then catches itself then repeats again

#236 ·
Or do we move the idle up a little more. I noticed Kia idles much higher than ats. So maybe another software push on rpm may solve the trembling at stop lites Also note I had air conditioner on high in both vehicles. Kia smooth at stop lite. Ats not smooth so can we get GM to apply another say 25/50 rpm. Might do the trick any thoughts

#237 ·
Muffin said:
Or do we move the idle up a little more. I noticed Kia idles much higher than ats. So maybe another software push on rpm may solve the trembling at stop lites Also note I had air conditioner on high in both vehicles. Kia smooth at stop lite. Ats not smooth so can we get GM to apply another say 25/50 rpm. Might do the trick any thoughts
So lets all sell our ATS's and get Kia's. Apparently it's a better car. Wow.........

#238 ·
Did not say that kia is better just saying both have 4cyl engines. I love my ats and I want to see it exceed passed any other car out there. So don't go there. If you have better ideas genius then lets hear them. At least we are making a effort to defend a American product.
Pp

----------

By the way I drove a xts v6. Smooth as silk. So I see you have a v6. Lucky you. Your so special

#239 ·
Muffin steady, not worth you time or effort with this guy, during a discussion over HD radio it ended with me being accused of "typical resorting to name calling" (which I did). As you mentioned most people are trying to assist one another on this forum with some pretty good wise cracks for entertainment. You need to be sensitive to others opinions on this forum. Some people clearly have low T and need more fiber in their diet and we need to be extra caring kind of like a support group.

#240 ·
GJB said:
Muffin steady, not worth you time or effort with this guy, during a discussion over HD radio it ended with me being accused of "typical resorting to name calling" (which I did). As you mentioned most people are trying to assist one another on this forum with some pretty good wise cracks for entertainment. You need to be sensitive to others opinions on this forum. Some people clearly have low T and need more fiber in their diet and we need to be extra caring kind of like a support group.
So you want to bring up HD radio, again! Did I say anything wrong? No. Did I post misleading statement? No. Did I post a link to a reference? Yes. You have the problem with "low T" and can't accept the fact that there are people that might be a tad smarter than you. And it doesn't take much to get past the "tad".

#241 ·
Ok got ya. Just frustrating when we are in the same boat and trying to get this car to be the best thanks

----------

Also I gave up on my hd radio just keeps fading in and out soi have resorted to the cd. Till maybe GM can fix reception issue. I have your back on this issue

#243 ·
They probably can't do it even if they want. These are drive by wire. I'm pretty sure the RPM is a target for the tune. The tunes are created by Cadillac.

If your car is still running too rough its probably a different problem. Not that upping the RPM might not make you happy but it would be masking the actual problem. Remember your car idled just fine when new even with the lower RPM.

#244 ·
Hoosier thanks darn we are so close to the fix.before the applied ECM on Tuesday the idle in park was rough since ECM applied idles fine in park but not in drive with brake on so that's why I asked for another 50 rpm move.also since the motor mounts are driven by vacuum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.