Trembling at idle - Page 5
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Trembling at idle in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by Hair Slinger Just now found out from my insurance company that the reason my insurance has gone ...
    probee773 is online now Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Trembling at idle

Quote Originally Posted by Hair Slinger View Post
    Just now found out from my insurance company that the reason my insurance has gone up is because the insurance commission has found the cadillac ats to not be as safe of a vehicle as they
    thought. Therefore my thoughts confirmed that I am in an unsafe vehicle!!!!!!! Please check with your insurance companies!
    No offense Hair Slinger, but this sounds like BS. Please provide details and links to official information.

Hair Slinger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS. 2.0 turbo RWD

I'm sorry, I just got off the phone with my insurance Geico.. they told me the reason my insurance had gone up was because the 2013 ATS was not as safe of a vehicle as they thought. I am waiting on documents to be emailed to me by the insurance company, and also have contacted the insurance commission for the state of TN. I was shocked beyond.. No BS here, I love Cadillac, I have always had a great experience with Cadillac. But I just seemed to have gotten a bad one this time. Trust me, I'm very upset. The car is so beautiful, and it is loaded. I don't know why it is the
    way it is.. very upsetting. I posted this because I have been scared with this car ever since it died in a intersection with me last month. Safety is my concern.

My guess is that Geico made a mistake in their original loss projections on the ATS. Since it's a new vehicle, they probably didn't have any data to base their risk assessment on so they made projections. And now that it's been out a few months, they are probably getting back data on their losses and it's higher than they projected so they are raising premiums to cover their losses. I would seek out quotes from other insurance companies. You should not have to bear the burden of their poor forecasting. As far as safety in a crash goes, I wouldn't worry. The NHTSB rated the ATS 5 stars overall and 5 stars in each of the frontal, side, and rollover categories. http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shop...=ATS&year=2013

But you are right, the stalling issue in your vehicle is a safety concern. Have you been in contact with Cadillac customer service directly (not through the dealer)?

I did contact them. They said if the dealer does not report that they can duplicate the issue then there is nothing they can do. I doesn't stall when they have driven it, but I drive it a lot more, it
    happens. But I can't keep my video on my phone expecting it to stumble. I expect it wont. It happens fast, I'm driving, so I can not get my phone and turn on a video camera to document it.
    Like I said, I do not expect it to happen. It surprises me too. It's such a beautiful car

Well it makes sense that they won't treat a problem they can't see. This isn't just a Cadillac thing, this is the typical policy for most manufacturers. How would you even go about treating a problem you can't see?

If I were you, I would do the following:

1) Change fuel brands. I recommend only running Shell or Exxon Mobil 93 octane while you're having this issue.
    2) When the car is idling, put your left foot on the brake and your right foot on the gas pedal. Use your right foot to keep the RPMs up and you left foot to keep the car stopped. This may help prevent the car from stalling when you are pulling away from a stop.
    3) Find another Cadillac dealer to take your car to. Describe the exact conditions when the stalling happens (at stop sign, at traffic light, for how long?, when engine cold or hot, car in drive or manual shift mode, etc...). Ask them to take your car for one week and give you a loaner to see if they can replicate the problem.
    4) Ask the dealer to make sure your ECU has the latest software upgrade (Cadillac just released an update recently).
    5) Do you have any friends who are mechanically inclined? If so, ask them to check the air intake and throttle body for any issues. Also, have them check the mass airflow sensor connector and condition as well as the battery and alternator connections and voltage.
    6) If none of the above helps, you will definitely need to find a way to document the issue so the dealer can see what is going on.
    7) Research your state's lemon law. Unfortunately all manufactures have lemons from time to time, and you may have gotten one. With the trunk and window issues you are describing in addition to your stalling, it may be a problem with an electrical unit which can be harder to diagnose.

zr1mom is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Prem 2.0T AWD Black Raven Red

I run almost only shell gas it doesn't help with the stumbling. There is a problem with these cars that GM needs to step up to.
    Hair Slinger and Hair Slinger like this.

vinny4069 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    It seems that the LTG engine's trembling at idle is a conception flaw ...
    See full review, link attached
    http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...vs-ltg-116017/

----------

Correction: "not a flaw" ... Problem verified and observed in test by Gm insider review

I too only use Premium gas, mostly from Shell. Today mine died again... I am really getting scared to drive it. I just want to feel safe, and have a dependable car. This is effecting my daily life with stress.. and disrupting my work schedule.
    I have had several cars in my life, but not anything has ever happened like this...ever! I no longer wish to lease this vehicle.. it is not safe

----------

Louis, I have contacted GM... no success.... It is still happening. I have contacted an attorney. My car is dangerous!!! Lauren said I am the only person she had heard of having this problem..
    Right. Someone will wind up getting hurt.

RxATS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L premium

Wow! Sounds like you truly did get stuck with a lemon but I believe it has to be an exception. My ATS (3.6L) is nothing short of perfect. The handling, braking, and myriad of safety features makes it both safe and a true pleasure to drive.

bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

Yeah the trembling has to be something else as it's not only with the 2.0T but the 3.6 as well as reported in this thread. My guess is the idle is simply set to low for some cars or some other feature/flaw messing with the idle of the car.

My question to those that have it bad - Does it happen when you first stop at say a light or in traffic or does it happen when you first start to move from a stop or moving slow? I feel a little bump from time to time after I come to a complete stop and sit. However some say they have actually stalled in the middle of an intersection or in traffic which makes me think you were not at a complete stop but moving. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but please can you confirm?

If I let off the brake at a complete stop (just ease up on it a bit) my idle goes up a bit (maybe 200 rpms) then when I press the brake it goes back down. I will see if I can get a log of the idle over the weekend to see if it shows anything like the idle dropping to a certain number causing the bump then back up.

To those that have this issue there is a way to log it and also get a video of it happening and you don't have to do much of anything to get the log. I use a PLX BlueTooth ODB2 adapter as well as the Torque app on my Android. Whats cool about this is that you can setup things to log and film it at the same time. You can set the logging to start automatically when the app detects a connection to the Bluetooth. On top of this you can get a windshield mount and put your phone in it and record the entire thing live. So not only can you get a log of the idle and maybe fuel pressure or whatever PID you think might be an issue, but you can actually file live the stumble or stall. All of this information is copied up to a website with your entire trip in Google Earth from the start/stop of the log and you can check the log file at any point within that trip.

I know that sounds complicated but really it's not once you figure it out. It might be a good way for those with the bad issues to log/film the issue so the dealer can see it happening in real time. Total cost for me was about $100 and I got the bluetooth ODB2 adapter at Fry's.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about. This is what the video will look like.

Hair Slinger and Hair Slinger like this.

Dave3283 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS, 2.0t - Performance
    Quote Originally Posted by zr1mom
    I run almost only shell gas it doesn't help with the stumbling. There is a problem with these cars that GM needs to step up to.
    If it is both engines, I wonder if it is a vacuum problem with the motor mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hair Slinger View Post
    I too only use Premium gas, mostly from Shell. Today mine died again... I am really getting scared to drive it. I just want to feel safe, and have a dependable car. This is effecting my daily life with stress.. and disrupting my work schedule.
    I have had several cars in my life, but not anything has ever happened like this...ever! I no longer wish to lease this vehicle.. it is not safe[COLOR="Silver"]
    How frequently are you stalling, Hair Slinger? Exactly what is happening in the car when it stalls? Is the engine warmed up or cold? Is it after you have been idling for a while and then put your foot on the gas to accelerate? Mostly at stop signs or stop lights?

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

lol whoah cant believe the issues here.

*knock on wood* my cars fantastic, does the trunk opening have anything to do with the QUE? i dont have que and my trunk never opens on its own nor do I have window rolling issues.

Also, my 2.0T does vibrate.. but it doesn't ever stall.. I have a manual if that matters.

My buddy has a 2.0T cobalt SS and his car trmbles at idle as well.

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

This may or may not be the cause of the problems you are describing, but I had a trembling problem for about a year on my Saab 9-3 2.0T. It would tremble in the morning when backing out of the driveway and several times at stoplights, although it never stalled. In the morning, when I rounded a corner with my foot off the gas, it would take a few seconds to gather itself when I re-applied gas, sort of turbo lag on steroids. Since I was way out of warranty, I thought it was a problem I could live with and I did for almost a year.

Then, my relatively new battery (year and a half) failed completely. When they put in a new battery, magically all of the trembling and other problems went away. My theory is was so weak it was causing the alternator to work overtime. The load imposed by the alternator load, along with the lower voltage in the car caused the engine to tremble.

Quote Originally Posted by investor74 View Post
    This may or may not be the cause of the problems you are describing, but I had a trembling problem for about a year on my Saab 9-3 2.0T. It would tremble in the morning when backing out of the driveway and several times at stoplights, although it never stalled. In the morning, when I rounded a corner with my foot off the gas, it would take a few seconds to gather itself when I re-applied gas, sort of turbo lag on steroids. Since I was way out of warranty, I thought it was a problem I could live with and I did for almost a year.

Then, my relatively new battery (year and a half) failed completely. When they put in a new battery, magically all of the trembling and other problems went away. My theory is was so weak it was causing the alternator to work overtime. The load imposed by the alternator load, along with the lower voltage in the car caused the engine to tremble.
    Most shops (Walmart, Autozone, Pep Boys etc...) will test your battery for free (in hopes you will buy one from them). If you can't get any help from the dealer, why not have an independent shop take a look?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.