Trembling at idle - Page 26
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Trembling at idle in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by Chrispy Are you guys trying any fuel injection cleaner or going for a really spirited drive once ...
    sebounet is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD performance

Re: Trembling at idle

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
    Are you guys trying any fuel injection cleaner or going for a really spirited drive once a week (Several WOT runs)? Not saying it'll fix anything but was curious.
    I always drive in a spirited way. May be that's why the shake dissapeared ?. I have had also an update of ECM. I tried also to use super gaz. But what was strange is that the shaking appeared again, and disapeared after 200 miles around. I cambe back to regular, engine is a bit noiser from outside the car, but no shaking

I think they need to replace engine mounts on some cars

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
    Are you guys trying any fuel injection cleaner or going for a really spirited drive once a week (Several WOT runs)? Not saying it'll fix anything but was curious.
    Yes to both questions. Techron every 3k and spirited driving every chance I get. I also use Top Tier 93.

Going WOT does correct the trembling and makes me forget about it....

JavaGirl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

This must be the longest running thread, ever, on here.

Mine started trembling a little in the morning when it is cold. It stops it after about two to three minutes, and acts right at all other times. I don't like this, and sure hope it does not get worse!

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by JavaGirl View Post
    This must be the longest running thread, ever, on here.

Mine started trembling a little in the morning when it is cold. It stops it after about two to three minutes, and acts right at all other times. I don't like this, and sure hope it does not get worse!
    Hi JavaGirl,

I can understand your concern with your car trembling. If you would like to discuss the issue please PM me your VIN and contact information. Hope to hear from you soon.

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

torkibe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6

8700 miles of very spirited driving and a few bottles of techron later and the tremble is worse than ever.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

2014's having a problem similar to a 2013? Who'd have thunk it! Everyone knows those bugs are worked out in 2nd year models

bowtie_30 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium

I've had this issue twice in the last week. I'm at a complete stop at a red light, in first gear with the clutch all the way in. The engine starts to shake, the RPMs jump up to 1500-2000 then go back down. Then last night in the parking lot of Kroger I reversed out of the spot, put it in first and went to the end of the aisle. Stopped, waited for a car to pass then started to pull the clutch out and the car just started jerking forward. Popped it out of first and put it back in and it started jerking forward again. Turned the car off then back on, it did it again then the power steering went out and the car died. Then it wouldn't turn back on. Let it sit for a minute and it started and was just fine. I just dropped it off at the dealership and we shall see if they can fix it. Thank goodness I was in a parking lot and not a busy intersection when it happened.

DY905 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.5L

I've had my ATS 2.5L (basic model) for 6 months. It "rough idles" all the time. It is more noticeable when the engine is cold and gets less noticeable once the engine warms up. There was a general recall from GM on this issue when they tried to address the problem by reprogramming some vehicle software... that did NOT fix anything for me. Recently I have been told that this particular 4-cylinder 2.5L engine had this flaw since 2009. This engine is used on Chevy's and other GM vehicles (so much for Cadillac technological ingenuity). During my last visit to the dealer, I was told that there is nothing that can be done about the problem. That's the way the engine was designed. If this is a design problem known since 2009, why is GM putting these engines into new ATS's and advertising the ATS as "all new technology"? The biggest case of false advertisement I've seen! Very disappointing. I will never buy a Cadillac again and will not recommend it to anyone I know.

carolina 2005 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.5 RWD

I got the first idle update and it fixed my problem, maybe you can get a dealer to redo the update. Maybe there was some reason it didn't take. Hope you can get it fixed.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by carolina 2005 View Post
    I got the first idle update and it fixed my problem, maybe you can get a dealer to redo the update. Maybe there was some reason it didn't take. Hope you can get it fixed.
    Definitely worth a try. And if that TSB doesn't fix your problem, that doesn't mean Cadillac doesn't have an obligation to find the cause of your problem and fix it,

BLitzkrieg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I am wondering if this has to do with the Electric Power Steering Rack. I had an issue where the car was rough idling and actually stalling right before the George Washington Bridge of all places. When I quickly restarted the car, I got a "Service Power Steering" light on the DIC. I had no power steering, but the idle was rock steady and smooth. Could the steering rack cycling on and off place a load on the engine, causing the rough idling. The idle can be so bad that the car feels like it is wagging its tail.

carolina 2005 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.5 RWD

As far as I know there are two updates for the 2.5L rough idle. The first one was just for the ECM, that is the one that fixed my problem. The second one is for the ECM and the FUEL PUMP. DY905: You need to talk to the dealer and see which one you got. If it was the first one and they only did the ECM then they need to try the second update with the ECM and the FUEL PUMP. It says on the TSB that the ECM and the FUEL PUMP update need to be run separately and NOT together.

bowtie_30 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium

My dealer looked at the computer, noted that there were no codes and no misfires but noticed a variance in the idle. They had the car "re-learn" it, it's like night and day now and we shall see if the rough idle occurs again anytime soon.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie_30 View Post
    My dealer looked at the computer, noted that there were no codes and no misfires but noticed a variance in the idle. They had the car "re-learn" it, it's like night and day now and we shall see if the rough idle occurs again anytime soon.
    That's great!

More detail please on what "they had the car re-learn" means.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

I bet they just did a reset of the ECM (re-learn), but intrested in more detail also.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.