Trembling at idle - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Trembling at idle in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; It is very cold around here now but I haven't experienced any "trembling" from the 2.0 engine. I even marvel ...
    JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

Re: Trembling at idle

It is very cold around here now but I haven't experienced any "trembling" from the 2.0 engine. I even marvel at how smooth the engine is at all times. Now my wife experienced this once. She said when leaving work one day the car was very cold and she didn't warm it up. The first stop light she came to she said the car started to shake and it felt like it was going to stall. Since then she now uses her remote start when its real cold and hasn't had a problem since. Our car is garage kept and the only time its out in the cold for extended periods is at her work. Remember if you have a Turbo engine its a good idea to warm it up a bit before driving and in the Summer its a good idea to let it idle for a minute before turning it off.
    slowdriver and slowdriver like this.

kevinr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS
    Quote Originally Posted by josefelipe
    My 2.0T has a tendency to tremble at idle. I've switched to premium gas with no results. Also it doesn't alway happen, very irregular. Any ideas?
    Same with me. 3.6. In my case only when cold, just for a couple of seconds at most and then smooths out. And not always. Haven't noticed any other triggers (AC, etc). Not too big of a deal if it doesn't get worse.

zr1mom is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Prem 2.0T AWD Black Raven Red

I noticed it today in my loaner 2.0 not as bad as my turbo but still felt it.

katz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 3.6 AWD Luxury ATS

Dealer Fixed:
    Mine was stumbling all the time when at any stop throughout the day, thought it was a bit rough, but thought that was just the car - but when I drove a dealer loaner ATS I realized how nice it should run
    Dealer fix - "INSPECT UNDERCARRIAGE, ADJUST EXHAUST AND ENGINE MOUNTS AND POSITION, RESET CRANK VARIATION"
    Runs much, much smoother now!

Rozay619 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Honda Accord / bye bye ATS LEMON

Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    Dealer Fixed:
    Mine was stumbling all the time when at any stop throughout the day, thought it was a bit rough, but thought that was just the car - but when I drove a dealer loaner ATS I realized how nice it should run
    Dealer fix - "INSPECT UNDERCARRIAGE, ADJUST EXHAUST AND ENGINE MOUNTS AND POSITION, RESET CRANK VARIATION"
    You have the 3.6 right? i wonder if the 2.0T would be the same procedure. This is another issue i am having with my 2.0 and is also being looked at while at the dealership. Hopefully i hear back today!!

ATurboS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I have a 2.0 with the same problem, I took it to the dealer and having the car all day they came back telling me there was nothing wrong. Good to see I'm not the only one with this issue, I thought I was nitpicking.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    Dealer Fixed:
    Now that's a dealer. Many dealers (see other posts) won't do much of anything unless there is some bulletin from GM. Having a minor but uncommon problem usually means it doesn't get fixed because service departments can't or won't do anything off the menu. Please post their name if you are happy with them overall. I'm thousands of miles away but think its good to get them word of mouth business.

I don't know what "reset crank variation" means but it sounds like it wasn't (just) a too rough engine but that vibrations were being carried into the chassis from contact between the engine/exhaust and hard parts they shouldn't be touching. As I said, most dealers wouldn't take time checking those things if it wasn't a manufacturing problem Cadillac had informed them about.

WannaV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 2.0T with this problem. It has actually stalled on me twice.

Rozay619 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Honda Accord / bye bye ATS LEMON

Quote Originally Posted by ATurboS View Post
    I have a 2.0 with the same problem, I took it to the dealer and having the car all day they came back telling me there was nothing wrong. Good to see I'm not the only one with this issue, I thought I was nitpicking.
    It's not nitpicking when your car is brand new and shit like this happens... aren't the vehicles tested prior to be released from the manufacturer??? My wife drives the car daily, so i will have to ask her if she is noticing this since i got the car back. The dealer did correct an issue with the Torque of some bolts on the turbo, the service guy said it was a recall/service bulletin, not sure if that cleared it up. @ATurboS and @wannaV I would contact your dealers and see if they have gotten this "Service Bulletin".

WannaV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rozay619 View Post
    It's not nitpicking when your car is brand new and shit like this happens... aren't the vehicles tested prior to be released from the manufacturer??? My wife drives the car daily, so i will have to ask her if she is noticing this since i got the car back. The dealer did correct an issue with the Torque of some bolts on the turbo, the service guy said it was a recall/service bulletin, not sure if that cleared it up. @ATurboS and @wannaV I would contact your dealers and see if they have gotten this "Service Bulletin".
    Mine is going to the dealership Tues. I also have an issue with the Turbo making a sound like the blades are rubbing --- sounds like a belt squealing or something....but seems to happen when Turbo spools.

CarolinaCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS Turbo

Just leased a new turbo and noticed that as well. Will take it to the dealer tomorrow. Sure hope its nothing major otherwise is a great car.

AdamVIP is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 2.0 and have been able to track down when my car will tremble. It seems that after any sustained speed event like highway when I then come to a light the car will tremble. I personally think it probably has to do with fuel savings measures and it takes a bit for the car to change back into city habits. All theory at this point.

CarolinaCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS Turbo

Update: ATS went to dealer this morning and they cannot figure out the issue so I am in a rental Will post if I learn what they discover but it they cannot figure out the problem we may have to have a chat about that lease.
    Hair Slinger and Hair Slinger like this.

zr1mom is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Prem 2.0T AWD Black Raven Red

Unless a code is set they won't be able to figure it out. No basic troubleshooting skills anymore.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by AdamVIP View Post
    I have a 2.0 and have been able to track down when my car will tremble. It seems that after any sustained speed event like highway when I then come to a light the car will tremble. I personally think it probably has to do with fuel savings measures and it takes a bit for the car to change back into city habits. All theory at this point.
    A lot of times mine does it within the first 1/2 mile leaving work at the next stop light. It happen so bad the other day I thought it was a 7.0 earthquake.

BricksATX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Base RWD Auto

My turbo is at the dealership now. They called today to let me know they had not been able to reproduce the trembling problem and that there were no bulletins out for it. I too have had my car come close to stalling when this happens. I have had it for just shy of a month.

@Cadillac Cust Svc: Anything you can do to help us get to the bottom of this would be appreciated. It seems as though the dealerships are waiting to hear that there is a problem from GM before attempting to solve it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.