Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Trembling at idle

182K views 525 replies 136 participants last post by  goofygoober 
#1 ·
My 2.0T has a tendency to tremble at idle. I've switched to premium gas with no results. Also it doesn't alway happen, very irregular. Any ideas?

#445 ·
I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a discounted 2014 ATS 2.0T but after reading some of this thread I'm terrified. The only GM we've owned is a 2009 Pontiac Vibe and its made by Toyota. Kind of scared to spend what is a lot of money to me, well beyond the budget I set for myself, for a questionable car.

I guess no one can really answer this since owners without this issue probably aren't here, but what are the chances I get a bad one? Do we think this problem is widespread?

#447 ·
I have a 2013 SRX with basically the same 3.6 motor as my 2013 ATS. Both are direct injection. The SRX is glass smooth all the time. My ATS rough idles occasionally. I am guessing that in order to squeeze the extra 13 horsepower out of the ATS motor is causing the rough idle. I would bet a software update could fix it, but might reduce the horsepower.

#449 · (Edited)
If only the world (at least this part) was that simple. Even if Cadillac cared and even if the costs could be justified (including the lawsuits from dealers doing something wrong and increase in warranty claims due to increased wear), US laws probably wouldn't allow them to make changes to what was used to get the pollution and CAFE numbers for those years unless needed for safety or reliability reasons. Its an ongoing battle between manufacturers and (overly oppressive?) regulations. For example Ford tried to do CAFE testing some years back with lighter weight oil and then have the manual state a heavier oil be used. Years before that, Cadillac engineered cars to detect the test protocol and disengage the AC compressor to improve mileage just in the tests. They got caught. So while Cadillac might be able to use 2015 settings in previous years, it wouldn't be a walk in the park for GM.

#451 ·
We dropped off our ATS 2.0T last night for an oil leak at the timing cover and also the stumble issue
. The car has stumble twice and actually stalled once in the 2 months we have owned it. It is an automatic as I have read numerous issues with the stick cars. Hopefully this gets duplicated during diagnosis today. we will keep all informed thanks

#453 ·
The Dealer told me they reprogrammed the BCM with a new program for the issue and apparently they "Retorqued" the timing cover and cleaned off the residue and told me to keep an eye on it

Funny thing is the Loaner was the exact same car and the 2.0t in it was leaking even worse and it only had 12000 miles

#454 ·
sorry if I ask something you have already mentioned but how did you detect that it was leaking oil at the timing cover? Did you see oil at the timing cover area? did you see oil puddle on the ground?

Supercharged60 said:
The Dealer told me they reprogrammed the BCM with a new program for the issue and apparently they "Retorqued" the timing cover and cleaned off the residue and told me to keep an eye on it Funny thing is the Loaner was the exact same car and the 2.0t in it was leaking even worse and it only had 12000 miles

#455 ·
I did see it leaking (Seeping) from the Timing cover. it wasn't a lot, however the car only has 3100 miles on it so I don't feel as if this should be leaking at all. Also my other concern was that if it were to get worse the area leaking is on the turbo side I t could potentially be a fire hazard so that's why I wanted it addressed.

#460 ·
Just purchased a CPO 2014 3.6 AWD two weeks ago, and was wondering if anyone has had any success with the getting the motor mounts replaced as a warranty fix, or if this will even correct the issue?
I returned to the dealer a week later for a tint job and mentioned that I also had the little stumble to one of the Service Writers.
He said they were aware of the issue but had no immediate fix, and that GM would not pay to do the motor mounts because it's not an actual recall ? It seems like enough people are having this issue and they should have some viable fix by now?
I came out of a Lexus after 12 "basically" trouble free years, almost bought another one, but would really like this to work out.

#462 ·
Hello 2014ATS3.6AWD,

Congratulations on the recent purchase of your ATS! I hope you are enjoying your new vehicle aside from this issue with your trembling idle. I know you have already been in contact with the dealership, but I would be happy to offer an additional layer of assistance while you work through this process. If you are interested, please PM me with your VIN, mileage, dealership name, and personal contact information.

Enjoy your day,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

#466 ·
My 3.6 RWD had motor mounts replaced upon complaining to dealer. not sure if it can be applied to AWD. If not, then sorry to say but GM has said it to your face :"TOUGH LUCK"

2014ATS3.6AWD said:
Just purchased a CPO 2014 3.6 AWD two weeks ago, and was wondering if anyone has had any success with the getting the motor mounts replaced as a warranty fix, or if this will even correct the issue? I returned to the dealer a week later for a tint job and mentioned that I also had the little stumble to one of the Service Writers. He said they were aware of the issue but had no immediate fix, and that GM would not pay to do the motor mounts because it's not an actual recall ? It seems like enough people are having this issue and they should have some viable fix by now? I came out of a Lexus after 12 "basically" trouble free years, almost bought another one, but would really like this to work out.
----------

I heard that 2013 2.0 had ECM reprogrammed to fix. I have not heard of a fix for 2014 2.0
Zarathos987 said:
Has anyone heard of a fix for the 2.0 turbo?

#467 ·
Had my '14 2.0 in for service and trembling issue the other day. Last service, an engine mount was replaced. Maybe a slight improvement. This past service, the mounts and vacuum lines were checked, no issues found. A ECM update was performed, and the trembling was noted as "similar to others on the lot". I have not noticed any difference. So just because it is similar to others on the lot does not mean it is correct. I do not blame the service as much as I do GM for this. The '15 loaner I had was noticeably smoother. I think GM needs to step up and get a correction for this - this should not be on a 45k luxury car.

#468 ·
Right, so after some heated emails because no one had the balls to actually call me to address all my concerns, I had to go through the motion of setting an appointment myself because evidently it's too much trouble for them to make all the arrangements?. Self service?
Monday is the first available day because no loaners are available today? I know the "policy" but it's strange that when I returned unannounced on a Saturday (sales rep didn't follow up as promised) to spend money for tinting they had a loaner no problem.
I'm not sure what happened to the GM Rep that chimed in here?, but I did send all of my information and could really use some extra push with this dealer because I don't have a feeling of confidence based on my recent experiences.
I don't even have my plates yet and I have a screw in my tire which was the reason the sales rep had to put air in the tire before the test drive, trembling idle, a creaking noise coming from the suspension or chassis, and a musty odor coming from the ac.
They also wiped out the paint on the engine cover during the make ready so I just had to completely remove all the paint.
Gentlemen, these are the reasons I quit buying GM products over 15 years ago, and I thought by now after getting pounded by imports for so many years that they would have their sh*t together, but I suppose some things never change.

#469 ·
ur mail box is full. I was going to ask for ur email so I can forward u the service record of the replaced mount done on my car
2014ATS3.6AWD said:
Right, so after some heated emails because no one had the balls to actually call me to address all my concerns, I had to go through the motion of setting an appointment myself because evidently it's too much trouble for them to make all the arrangements?. Self service? Monday is the first available day because no loaners are available today? I know the "policy" but it's strange that when I returned unannounced on a Saturday (sales rep didn't follow up as promised) to spend money for tinting they had a loaner no problem. I'm not sure what happened to the GM Rep that chimed in here?, but I did send all of my information and could really use some extra push with this dealer because I don't have a feeling of confidence based on my recent experiences. I don't even have my plates yet and I have a screw in my tire which was the reason the sales rep had to put air in the tire before the test drive, trembling idle, a creaking noise coming from the suspension or chassis, and a musty odor coming from the ac. They also wiped out the paint on the engine cover during the make ready so I just had to completely remove all the paint. Gentlemen, these are the reasons I quit buying GM products over 15 years ago, and I thought by now after getting pounded by imports for so many years that they would have their sh*t together, but I suppose some things never change.
----------

just now read that you came from a Lexus, well, no wonder why you were disappointed with your ats :/. so sad that GM still has serious problems like this.

#470 ·
ur mail box is full. I was going to ask for ur email so I can forward u the service record of the replaced mount done on my car

----------

just now read that you came from a Lexus, well, no wonder why you were disappointed with your ats :/. so sad that GM still has serious problems like this.
My last 3 cars have all been GM. Now, i'm eyeballing the lexus IS250. If this is the quality of a Cadillac, i'm not impressed.

#473 ·
2014 2.0T rough idel.
I've owned my new ats for three months. I took it into dealership for rough idel and it died once at stop sign. The technician kept it for 48 hours and said they couldn't replicate the problem. They said they reset the program for idling. I've started using premium gas. I still have rough idel problems. I love the look of the car but I am startng to hate my car. To put up with shaking at stop lights is unacceptable. I don't trust the car.

#474 ·
Sounds like you're dealing with the exact same issues as myself and others on the forum. I only use shell premium gas, hasn't really helped. At one point, the service writer told me to keep my left foot on the brake and my right foot on the gas! Told me that'd take care of any stalling issues and help smooth out the idle. I almost laughed at him when he said that.

2014 2.0 turbo owner. Bought it a in Feb of 2015. Its been back to the dealership several times already, car is about 5 months old.

#485 ·
Hey guys. So I am in need of a new car as my mechanic informed me my 95 Cadillac Deville frame is so rusted through that it will be falling apart in the next year or so, (Yes, dangerous I know). With my budget I can afford to buy a slightly used (20,000 miles or less) entry level luxury car and I have thought the ATS is beautiful and would be great for my next car for years to come. Then I went to this forum to see how everyone is liking their ATS. I came upon this topic and am worried sick I will get a slightly used car that already has defects. On top of this notion, I went and test drove a 2014 Luxury ATS yesterday and within 30 seconds of starting the car it was shaking, not horribly, but it was something I was intentionally looking for. I was hoping that aiming for a 2014, that most of these ATS's wouldn't have the trembling problem. How many used ATS's do you think have this problem? Wouldn't the dealership try to fix it before putting it out for test drive and sale? I almost want to have the car overnight or for the day for a "test drive" because the last thing I want to do is have everything be fine until a day or two later when it starts trembling, especially after reading some of the horror stories on here about trying to go to the dealership to get it fixed. If I wait a couple months until the 2016s are out and I try to get a 2015 will I have nothing to be worried about or is it going on with them also?

#486 ·
If I wait a couple months until the 2016s are out and I try to get a 2015 will I have nothing to be worried about or is it going on with them also?
If I had to do it again I would wait and try a 2016 because they have a different motor. There's something inherently wrong with the 2013-215 engines or PCM, nothing major, just not sewing machine precise like a Japanese car. Mine is back for the 3rd and probably last time because I have a feeling that the end result will be deemed as "normal" per the manufacturer. All my loaners have done the same thing, so there you have it.
So if you can live with a bit of a murmur in your motor then now's the time to save a few bucks and get one, otherwise wait and hope for better results.

#489 ·
The 2016 model gets an 8 speed transmission and android instead of CUE. I have a 2014 2.0 and have been dealing with the trembling issue since the day I brought it home. Its been back several times now, various things have been repaired. They keep telling me my car is "supposed to shake, its a turbo motor". I don't believe or accept that answer. if that was the case, why don't the 2015 models tremble?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.