Two questions about tap shift mods...
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Two questions about tap shift mods... in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I have to 2.0T AWD ATS in Standard Trim with all the options available except the sunroof. In this trim ...
    Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

Question Two questions about tap shift mods...

I have to 2.0T AWD ATS in Standard Trim with all the options available except the sunroof. In this trim you do not get paddle shifters unfortunately, which I thought to myself, "meh..probably a novelty. I'm ok with the center stick control" However, being that my previous car was a BMW 328xi, the "tap shift" on that car was pull back for upshift, push forward for downshift. The ATS (and most other cars actually) it's the reverse, which has led my to see the "shift denied" screen on the DIC more than a few times.

I was thinking of two mods, and wondering if anyone knows whether they are possible.

1) Add aftermarket paddle shifters. I have to believe the harness is still in the steering wheel assembly somewhere, right?

2) Reverse the wires on the tap shift control so I get the racing-standard/BMW implementation of tap shift.

Any gurus out there with thoughts? Any vendors with plans?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cisitalia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6 RWD WDT/LPB

Re: Two questions about tap shift mods...

I have both the paddle and center gear tap shift on my car. I just came from a manual gear shift car and I use the tap shift most of the time. The paddle shifters can be a PITA especially when turning. Only nice for the race track but not practical in real life. I think pushing forward for upshift and back for downshift is more intuitive. I would not worry about adding paddle shifters and just get used to the tap shifter the way it is.

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Re: Two questions about tap shift mods...

Quote Originally Posted by Yplus View Post
    I have to 2.0T AWD ATS in Standard Trim with all the options available except the sunroof. In this trim you do not get paddle shifters unfortunately, which I thought to myself, "meh..probably a novelty. I'm ok with the center stick control" However, being that my previous car was a BMW 328xi, the "tap shift" on that car was pull back for upshift, push forward for downshift. The ATS (and most other cars actually) it's the reverse, which has led my to see the "shift denied" screen on the DIC more than a few times.
    Sounds like a mental reversal could fix this - just try to get used to it?

I was thinking of two mods, and wondering if anyone knows whether they are possible.

1) Add aftermarket paddle shifters. I have to believe the harness is still in the steering wheel assembly somewhere, right?
    Doubtful - the two car models (Standard/Luxury and Performance/Premium) differ a lot and I would be surprised if they were not optimized for parts and mfg.

2) Reverse the wires on the tap shift control so I get the racing-standard/BMW implementation of tap shift.
    Sounds doable

Any gurus out there with thoughts? Any vendors with plans?
    The big negative of the tap-shift is tha,t once you select a lower gear, the car will not up-shift past that gear. The problem comes when you slow down - each gear that drops becomes your new 'max' gear, and eventually you'll end up in M1. Meaning that you now effectively drive in manual gear selection mode. For manual up-shifts, I would prefer the BMW reversed approach, but only for aggressive driving. In reality, I find that I switch back to A mode, for up-shifts, and use throttle control instead - in S mode.

Its an ATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Premium 3.6 AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Cisitalia
    I have both the paddle and center gear tap shift on my car. I just came from a manual gear shift car and I use the tap shift most of the time. The paddle shifters can be a PITA especially when turning. Only nice for the race track but not practical in real life. I think pushing forward for upshift and back for downshift is more intuitive. I would not worry about adding paddle shifters and just get used to the tap shifter the way it is.
    Well, intuitive as far as mindset maybe, but not racing common sense. When accelerating it pushes you back, that's why it should be back for up shifting. Same for down shifting. You should be coming up to a corner and braking, therefore downshifting is forward.

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Its an ATS

Well, intuitive as far as mindset maybe, but not racing common sense. When accelerating it pushes you back, that's why it should be back for up shifting. Same for down shifting. You should be coming up to a corner and braking, therefore downshifting is forward.
    Exactly. If you've ever driven a sequential gearbox (sounds like you may have also) this is exactly how it works and it makes sense. The reverse (and more common) tap shift pattern just feels odd.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Its an ATS View Post

Agreed. It's how it should be in my mind...

...and why I love my manuals...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.