ATS 2.0T Turbo Upgrtade Kit
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, ATS 2.0T Turbo Upgrtade Kit in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Any word on a GM Performance Parts chip for the 2.0T? I have looked around and don't see anything. Here ...
    gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

ATS 2.0T Turbo Upgrtade Kit

Any word on a GM Performance Parts chip for the 2.0T? I have looked around and don't see anything. Here is what I am thinking . . .

We all know that GM released a turbo upgrade kit for the sky redline, solstice GXP, etc. (http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...lstice-sky-hhr).

Since the 2.0T found in the ATS is a newer version of the LNF (the LTG), will we be getting a similar turbo kit for the ATS? My main concern is that outfitting the 2.0T with a turbo kit from GM may cannibalize sales (i.e., 3.6l ATS and eventual ATS-V). If the 2.0T can be modified with GM parts to output 300+ hp, GM may be worried that potential 3.6l buyers would opt for the 2.0T with the turbo kit. This however may not be that big of a concern, as the buyers may be different. For example, I would suspect that 2.0T purchasers interested in the turbo kit would not at all be interested in the 3.6l due to the lack of manual transmission (e.g., me). I'd also assume that ATS buyers not opting for the stick wouldn't be interested in the the turbo kit. But, this is just an assumption.

As for the V, this could pose a problem. Again, I would assume that some non-negligible number of V buyers would be interested in the manual transmission. The question then would be if buyers would choose to opt for the cheaper 2.0T with the turbo kit as opposed to the more expensive V. At the low end (cost-wise for the 2.0T) I would suspect the 2.0T market and the V market to be fairly distinct - someone looking to spend sub 40 on the 2.0T wouldn't be considering the V anyway. At the high end, 2.0Ts can be outfitted to around 50k. This market would likely overlap (assuming the V stickers for under 60, which I think is a safe assumption).

Additionally, this cannibalization may not be that big of a deal - GM has already spent the R&D in developing both engines, already produces both engines, etc. The potential buyer is still buying an ATS regardless of motor choice. Furthermore, a 2.0T outfitted with a turbo kit would more readily compete with the 335.

The difficulty in all of this is the number of buyers opting for the manual transmission. Likely, manual transmission sales will be negligible (just out of curiosity, how many people out there besides me opted for the manual transmission?). If the number of 2.0T buyers opting for the manual transmission is negligible, the 2.0T with turbo kit will cannibalize 3.6l sales and V sales, and there already is a competitor with the 335 (the 3.6l).

I know I am simply vomiting a train-of-thought, but any ideas out there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

slepr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T AWD Premium

Re: ATS 2.0T Turbo Upgrtade Kit

I would love to see a GMPP turbo kit. I have it installed on my Solstice GXP Coupe. I fall out of your line of thinking regarding transmission. My ATS that I ordered is a 2.0T with auto trans. The turbo kit on the Solstice allowed manual transmission drivers the "no lift shift" ability. Lots of potential in these 2 liter turbos. Still have an absolute blast in my Solstice Coupe.

frankc5r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2.0 ATS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by slepr View Post
    I would love to see a GMPP turbo kit. I have it installed on my Solstice GXP Coupe. I fall out of your line of thinking regarding transmission. My ATS that I ordered is a 2.0T with auto trans. The turbo kit on the Solstice allowed manual transmission drivers the "no lift shift" ability. Lots of potential in these 2 liter turbos. Still have an absolute blast in my Solstice Coupe.
    I have had both the GXP and HHR SS with 2L turbo and have tuned both. I had 340 ft# of torque. LOVE to have GM performance
    flash but I suspect it will be a little while. I have contacts and hope to research this and see if there is a possibility.
    frank

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

IThe turbo kit on the Solstice allowed manual transmission drivers the "no lift shift" ability.
    What do you think about the "no lift shift" ability? I've never driven a car with that feature. Do you like it/utilize it?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by gfxbt View Post

What do you think about the "no lift shift" ability? I've never driven a car with that feature. Do you like it/utilize it?
    I have it on my V. I do use it when I decide 630hp is just enough power for my needs.

slepr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T AWD Premium

No lift shift is a nice addition but only really useful in track situations. Not really necessary in city traffic

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

No lift shift is a nice addition but only really useful in track situations. Not really necessary in city traffic
    Says you!

exesivefire is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0t AWD

I really hope gm decides to do this, I took a gamble with the 2.0t over the 3.6 hoping they will...

If not, I'll be a sad guy for sure.

Pfadt Engineering is offline Authorized Vendor PLATINUM
    Automobile(s): The Pfadt ATS

If you get tired of waiting.....Pfadts ready to rock! Packages start at 4999 and you're looking at 450+HP
    Aaron Pfadt
    Pfadt Race Engineering
    888-972-2464
    www.pfadtracing.com
    info@pfadtracing.com

roadpie4u is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 M6 FE3

From what I've heard, GMPP has developed alternate intercoolers and calibrations "tunes" for this engine and as of now they're waiting the next phase of development/approval.

As the next mustang "SVO" will come with roughly a 300hp turbo4 (and that has been the plan for a LONG time) GM built the LTG into Alpha knowing it would likely go into battle against a turbo4 mustang and they needed to be able to match it blow for blow. The trick was not to show Ford their cards with the ATS but rather leave them guessing - so releasing the LTG with some breathing room but still "good enough" power to equal the 328i was satisfactory.

I'd bet the 6th gen Camaro release will cause the LTG's power to bump and GM will release a GMPP kit to bring the older cars up to snuff around the same time. Like the LNF, it'll mean waiting a little bit.

I'm hoping to wait - Id like to keep my warranty for now. A wise old gear head once told me "don't mod your daily driver".

trackstar42 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

Any recent updates on this? Maybe now that the ATS V is on the horizon?

rhouse21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '14 ATS 2.0T Luxury, '97 V6 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by exesivefire View Post
    I really hope gm decides to do this, I took a gamble with the 2.0t over the 3.6 hoping they will...

If not, I'll be a sad guy for sure.
    Check out the Diablosport 2.0T tuning thread. Their tune just came out of beta testing and people seem very happy with it.

ChrisGarner is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pfadt Engineering View Post
    If you get tired of waiting.....Pfadts ready to rock! Packages start at 4999 and you're looking at 450+HP
    Adding that kind of power with the 367 HP - Cadillac ATS 2.0T Pfadt P35 Package and possibly the new Diablo Tuner of 50HP and 60TQ what other upgrades would I have to do also to insure my car will be possible to achieve this speed and power without completely braking down due to parts not able to sustain these upgrades.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pfadt Engineering View Post
    Sorry just saw it came with a tuner for it too. Still the same question applies what other upgrade will i be looking at to insure it will be safe with the extra power and speed.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

PFADT is out of business. Please let this thread die.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.