Break in period
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Break in period in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; So who follows the recommended break in period? I have the 2.0T and have gone above the recommended 4k rpm ...
    03firebolt9r is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

Break in period

So who follows the recommended break in period? I have the 2.0T and have gone above the recommended 4k rpm a couple times. Curious what everyone else thought. I have read several different philosophies that differ from the manual. Not Cadillac specific though, generally motorcycle specific...though an engine is an engine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

slowdriver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Still negotiating

Re: Break in period

I always follow the guide lines and have never had oil usage issues. Different strokes for different folks , I treat it right and make mine last a long time..I have not had a engine issue since 1979 in my 1969 Vette. Bought a rebuilt motor and the pump lost it's prime. Did not get 2,000 miles on it when it started knocking.

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

I'm following the 4k rpm break-in rule in my 2.0T. I don't mind waiting until I can have some real fun with it.

03firebolt9r is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

I really try to stay below 4k rpm, lol. Thanks for the input guys.

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by 03firebolt9r View Post
    I really try to stay below 4k rpm, lol. Thanks for the input guys.
    The engines have already gone through some type of manufacturer's break in, and it is not as sensitive as may have been the case in years past.

Things to avoid are excessive heat buildup, excessive high revving before the parts have settled and long stretches at same engine rpm (cruise control).

By 1k miles most of the engine components will have settled.

I follow the thought of break in hard (no cruise control, normal driving) but avoid high revving and high heat until past 2k miles. I deliberately avoided freeways because of this in the first 400 miles or so.

Fwiw - I was surprised when I wanted to change oil at 1k miles - the dealer basically said: "What does the oil-life meter suggest? Wait for that." This tells me that Cadillac also doesn't see much grit coming out of the engine during the first 1k miles anymore either. (Or, the oil filters/sump system are big enough to not get clogged).

BTW - I have very similar experience for other new engines in years past, including motorcycle engines. Especially with the high revving motorcycle engines, the 'slow low revving break-in' is a no-no. Better to cycle that engine, but don't let it get too hot until all the parts have settled. With a motorcycle engine, there is a max redline, that increases as more miles are driven - you don't want to start there, but long cruising (constant RPM) runs during the break in period causes irregularities that stay for the life of the engine as parts settle around that RPM range differently. Something that you don't want.

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo
    I lasted about 350 miles and then realized two simple truths: Engines today have tolerances on the order of 1/10000th of an inch, they used to be in the 1/1000ths of an inch.. They have to break in the engines at the factory otherwise warranty issues would be huge. Since that's done on a dyno, I think the engine, transmission, rear exhaust and heat shields need to mate well which happens during the first couple of heat cycles. If you keep those first heat cycles pretty tame, you've basically done all you can do. It's a good excuse in my opinion, I'm not a very patient man after waiting 8 weeks for mine!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.