HID & LED Headlights
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, HID & LED Headlights in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Is it possible to get the OEM LED's from GM and have them installed on a lower trim level such ...
    azandek is offline Cadillac Owners Member

HID & LED Headlights

Is it possible to get the OEM LED's from GM and have them installed on a lower trim level such as the Luxury? I really like the look of the LED strips in the lower fascia, however I do not need the Performance or Premium trim that they come standard on?

Also, is there and issues with the connectors for the Luxury headlights to switch to HID?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Re: HID & LED Headlights

Quote Originally Posted by azandek View Post
    Is it possible to get the OEM LED's from GM and have them installed on a lower trim level such as the Luxury? I really like the look of the LED strips in the lower fascia, however I do not need the Performance or Premium trim that they come standard on?

Also, is there and issues with the connectors for the Luxury headlights to switch to HID?
    [EDIT] To your first part of your question: Just adding the lower LED lights. This should be doable - the lower LED lights are plug and play compatible, and you would need a relay harnass (ebay-$30) that wires to and controls the LED signals. The upper portion LED/HID is more tricky - see the rest of my answer.

Tot the best of my knowledge, the connectors in all cars are identical, as are the light housings, so fitting is not an issue. Same for the LED portion. However the wire harnass in the Standard & Luxury does not have all the same signals connected that the Performance and Premium have. It is unclear if you just lose the adaptive forward lighting control, or whether you simply do not have the proper grounding for the HID ballasts. Also, the DRL is solved very different between the two cars, meaning there is no wiring provided for the LED at all.

I guess that upgrading to OEM HID & LED lighting requires installing additional wire harnasses, and possibly controls. This could make it cost prohibitive, and I wonder if dealers (or GM) would support this.

I find it unbelievable that the HID option cannot be ordered on these pricey (Standard & Luxury) cars. As we pointed out in another thread, GM can factory install an HID projector (instead of a Halogen projector), and populate it with a Halogen bulb, if Halogen is required (fleet?) or preferred. Converting to HID, option or afterwards, would then be trivial. European cars with projector headlights (Audi) do it this way nowadays.

I seriously hope that this will be addressed in the 2014 model lineup.
    ATom92 likes this.

azandek is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I thought the top came with the LED strips on the side on all models, just not the lower, only the main headlight was Halogen? That's a deal breaker for the Luxury model, I might as well buy an Audi for the same price...

I thought the top came with the LED strips on the side on all models, just not the lower, only the main headlight was Halogen? That's a deal breaker for the Luxury model, I might as well buy an Audi for the same price...
    Yup, GM is telling you to pay up a few $k for HID, or purchase from the competition.

No LED strip on the Standard and Luxury, only the Halogen projector - and a cosmetic side.

SierraM is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yea...we were looking at an Audi A4 before we bought the ATS. The exterior of the A4 looked dated compared to the ATS. Couldn't stomach paying $40,000 for it. We decided to switch from a Luxury ATS into a Performance trim just for the LEDs. It was worth it after seeing it in person.

Conversion to HID + LED is not that difficult though, but you need to use the after market.
    Kind of silly for a new car, imho.

mrrairai76 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium WDT, 2011 Denali WDT

Personally what I would do is start watching salvage yards because somebody somewhere will be stupid and wreck their ATS and I would snatch the parts up that way. Might not happen anytime soon but it will happen.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    There has been at least one...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Its an ATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Premium 3.6 AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
    There has been at least one...
    Lol!!! Cadillac probably snatched that up and cannibalized. Some of you that have already got yours probably have a little part of that day!!!
    mrrairai76 and mrrairai76 like this.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

Quote Originally Posted by SierraM View Post
    Yea...we were looking at an Audi A4 before we bought the ATS. The exterior of the A4 looked dated compared to the ATS. Couldn't stomach paying $40,000 for it. We decided to switch from a Luxury ATS into a Performance trim just for the LEDs. It was worth it after seeing it in person.
    My wife and I have a 09 Audi A4 with HID and LED eybrow lights. My wife loves the look and when she found out the ATS Luxury didn't come with them we changed our order to a Premium. As far as the look of the two cars when we ordered our ATS we compared them. After our test drive I parked the ATS next to our Audi. While the Audi is an awesome looking car we were really impressed with the look of the ATS. The two cars are really different looking from each other but the ATS looks like a really nice change for us. Had we opted for another Audi it would have been very difficult to get one that looked better than the one we own. Sometimes change is a good thing and I'm hoping we are as happy with our ATS as we were with our A4.

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Blue skies - What are those horizontal lower lights on your car? The ATS Luxury comes with those standard?

danscrim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

Quote Originally Posted by investor74 View Post
    Blue skies - What are those horizontal lower lights on your car? The ATS Luxury comes with those standard?
    They don't come standard on any model. He must have added them when he added the HID lights

Quote Originally Posted by investor74 View Post
    Aftermarket LEDs - many choices out there. These are the higher end 'straight line' Philips brand that you see in late Audi and Mercedes cars. I just received another (much cheaper) LED option that is curved and might fit even better. Both type LED strips are extremely bright, and dim at nighttime. They are also guaranteed to last the life of the car (10+ years).

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    i thought it was kids with civics who insisted on retrofitting crappy hids into their cars? is this never going to end?
    Magnum369 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    i thought it was kids with civics who insisted on retrofitting crappy hids into their cars? is this never going to end?
    So much for believing and buying into an American luxury product for 2013 (my 3rd Cadillac). The sales guy had me believe that the car had HID (projectors) and that the Premium was another $10k - I bought the car off the lot. Maybe both were overstated, but I still can't imagine that HIDs are not standard nor are offered as an option. Most cars, that are $10k less than the Luxury, already have them. I haven't owned a car without HID during the past decade.

BTW, at the Premium price I would not have gone for the ATS, but would rather have upgraded my Porsche instead. Now I am keeping that as my weekend car (only 40k miles). The ATS is my daily commuter. It in fact was the Luxury price point, and trim, that made me make my decision.

If GM offers an upgrade HID solution, I'd happily switch to that. Either way, I am happy. Fwiw, the converted HID are actually nicer (light beam pattern) than the genuine (Porsche) HID, from a driver's perspective - and are not at all blinding to oncoming traffic. No need to call them crappy.

Oh, I am an European living in the US, and out of my eleven new cars purchased here to date, 9 were American (1x Ford, 4x GM, 4x Jeep). That should count for something, I'd say.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.