HID & LED Headlights - Page 9
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, HID & LED Headlights in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; It's interesting to see how different people experience things differently, and also value things differently. The first ATS that I ...
    marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

Re: HID & LED Headlights

It's interesting to see how different people experience things differently, and also value things differently. The first ATS that I encountered was a Premium at a preview at a local mall. Sitting in it, I was amazed that the seats were so comfortable, both front and rear. I didn't think the "sport" seats were particularly sporty, but they were very comfortable to me. My next encounter was with a loaner ATS 2.5 Luxury, which I had for about a week. Though the seats looked the same, or at least very similar, to me they felt flat and unsupportive, and just not that comfortable, no matter how much I fiddled with the controls. I noticed also that the headlights pretty much sucked, especially on the high-beams, and I didn't realize it had no LEDs until I saw a reflection, and felt kind of ripped off! I was pleasantly surprised by the excellent handling and grip of the base suspension, but also surprised by the occasional harshness of the ride, which was worse than the ride of my CTS-V when in sport mode. This was on 17s, too. I also got to play with the sunroof, and found it too small and too noisy to be useful, and played with the CUE and Nav, which I overall liked.

When shopping for my own car, I checked out the Performance and the Premium, specifically with regard to the seats, lights, and ride and handling. I checked out the HIDs at night, and they were definitely better (though still not as good as the ones in the CTS, IMO). I found the seats again to be superior in comfort, just as I remembered. And the ride in the Premium when set in Tour mode was indeed less harsh and more supple, while having even more grip. I didn't really have to have the HUD or the driver awareness package, but I thought the suspension, seats, and lighting more than justified the extra cost. The other equipment was basically an added bonus. Now that I have lived with the car, I think the driver awareness package is really useful, and it has saved my ass a few times. One does have to get used to it though. One nice thing about the seat alert is that your passengers are unaware of the alerts. In any event, as I would have bought the Nav and Bose upgrade, the 18s, and the cold weather package at a minimum, the difference was only about $3k, or about 6.5% of the total. I don't think that's a lot for all of the upgrades that the Premium offers, especially for a luxury sport sedan, but to each his own.

To honest, I could have lived just fine without the leather and wood. If I could have ordered the suspension, seats, and lighting separately as on the BMW, I could have saved a few thousand bucks. That's not an option on the ATS, though, and so equipped, a 328 Sport would have been the same price as my loaded ATS Premium anyway, so it's still a great deal, as well as a great car.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    Dude will you stop bad mouthing our cars? My luxury has heated seats and navigation. So how could you assume it screams anything but luxury when the only difference between mine and your interior is the HUD? And FYI, the LEDs you're thinking of are cheap led strips and no one has thought of putting that on this car. If we go through and add the led to the headlights, believe me it will look exactly factory since the plan is to use factory parts to retrofit so you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
    First on the LEDS, good luck with that...most of the ones posted on these forums are horizontal post factory and none of them involve the door handles...no one, I mean no one had done a factory look to date that I've seen yet....and that includes the HID's. Either way, it's gonna involve much additional time and expense to duplicate the look. Second, no is bad mouthing anything Pal, it's my opinion that the Luxury model is a lot less than advertised, TS if you don't like it. Third, the interiors and exteriors between the Luxury and Premium IMO are night and day in terms of features ( 16 to be exact), including having to pay a lot extra for Navigation in the Luxury; heck it doesn't even come with a standard cd/mp3 player. Lastly, plenty of people of this forum have praised Base and Luxury models and dissed Premium and Performance as I don't need this or that, and that's a waste, etc...so frickin' what? I appreciate different inputs; unlike you apparently. I don't take it personally....it's an opinion; as is yours.....so lighten up!

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Just for those interested:

Above: factory HID light beam pattern

Below: converted HID light beam pattern.

vseries likes this.

donavo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

looks very good. wonder why they didnt make the stock as "flowing"

h3rmes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

wow. the hid upgrade is the way to go. the factory hids look less bright.

Quote Originally Posted by h3rmes View Post
    wow. the hid upgrade is the way to go. the factory hids look less bright.
    Yes, having been able to compare the two now, the converted HID light pattern is more pleasing at night: the road just lights up brighter. Note that this is not light-color related, but light-pattern related.

Also, I expected more from the adaptive HID system - the factory HID rotate with the steering wheel, but only slightly, and the difference is marginal in comparison to the normal pattern (not like the STS which had side-light illuminating the left or right side of the road).

I have a friend who has a very dark driveway entrance, and with either HID system, the entrance remains unlit. With the STS the entrance was fully illuminated.

As to normal street driving - the 'forward' pattern of both the HID and Halogen appear closer to each other than I would have expected: as you can see from the light pattern, the Halogen light beam is concentrated in front of the car, whereas the factory HID is more dispersed. Converting the Halogen to HID gives you a concentrated HID pattern, which brightens up the road surface more. The factory HID brightens up more 'besides' the road.

I should put up a picture of my other car's (factory) HID pattern - it fits somewhere in between these two patterns, meaning it is brighter than the factory HID and less bright than the converted HID (for illuminating the road surface in front of you).

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
    Also, I expected more from the adaptive HID system - the factory HID rotate with the steering wheel, but only slightly, and the difference is marginal in comparison to the normal pattern
    Actually, that is somewhat incorrect. The factory HID rotates only when the vehicle is in motion and making turns. As another poster pointed out previously,the headlights are a little more sophisticated in that they communicate with the vehicle and are pointed at the vehicles calculated trajectory, based on steering angle, vehicle speed and yaw rate. It works quite well, especially on windy and twisty road patterns. I noticed the difference between my old STS and my new ATS immediately at night. As someone also pointed out earlier, it stretches the beam further across your area of view and varies from circumstance to circumstance.

netring is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Can anyone that has done the conversion post a guide to follow? Or a service manual they refer to?

donavo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by netring View Post
    Can anyone that has done the conversion post a guide to follow? Or a service manual they refer to?
    no one has done it yet but we will get there.

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    no one has done it yet but we will get there.
    What i meant was for installing aftermarket hid kit without removing the bumper. Im curious about what exactly i have to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    Actually, that is somewhat incorrect. The factory HID rotates only when the vehicle is in motion and making turns. As another poster pointed out previously,the headlights are a little more sophisticated in that they communicate with the vehicle and are pointed at the vehicles calculated trajectory, based on steering angle, vehicle speed and yaw rate. It works quite well, especially on windy and twisty road patterns. I noticed the difference between my old STS and my new ATS immediately at night. As someone also pointed out earlier, it stretches the beam further across your area of view and varies from circumstance to circumstance.
    Yes, thanks for pointing this out - the factory HID work indeed as advertised, and this does make a noticeable difference when driving on dark canyon roads.

I guess that the beam pattern is optimized for this behavior.

I still hope for a non-adaptive HID system in the 2014 Luxury model. Maybe would-be upgraders could consider this instead (no need for a special wire harness then.)

Yes, thanks for pointing this out - the factory HID work indeed as advertised, and this does make a noticeable difference when driving on dark canyon roads.

I guess that the beam pattern is optimized for this behavior.

I still hope for a non-adaptive HID system in the 2014 Luxury model. Maybe would-be upgraders could consider this instead (no need for a special wire harness then.)
    It is possible, however the cost of purchasing two full headlights is still much higher than the cost of purchasing a 50$ hid kit. I would much rather do my own small modification. The led light strips on the lights don't really add that much to the look of the car in my opinion, im just bothered by yellow lights on a 2013 car costing 45k.

Just adding the light-pattern of my other car - factory HID:

Just for those interested:

Above: factory HID light beam pattern

Below: converted HID light beam pattern.

pissedoffwookiee is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    Howdy!! it's another poster someone

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    Anything is possible, but my guess is the headlights would 'freak out' and point in some limp home default position and try to tell the car that they're broken.

And Hoosier is partially correct about the adaptive headlights, they do not move with the steering wheel, you can test this by keeping the car at a standstill and turning the wheel, they will not move. The headlights are a little more sophisticated in that they communicate with the vehicle and are pointed at the vehicles calculated trajectory, based on steering angle, vehicle speed and yaw rate. This can be tested by rolling 5-10 MPH and rapidly turning the wheel back and forth, you'll notice that where the light is pointed is out of sync with the wheel movement, but instead is in sync with the calculated trajectory that speed and wheel angle will produce. You'll also notice if you stop moving the wheel at a left or right angle the light snaps to where your headed. One more thing to note is that the beam is not as much pointed as it is shaped, the system will move the individual lenses independently and more outward than inward, it kinda looks like your beam pattern is being stretched toward the direction your turning.
    Nice to know someone read that
    rustybear3 and rustybear3 like this.

CTSMOZZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by romanats View Post
    how did you do LED s
    I gave you the link to see how I did it, here it is again. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3351761

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.