HID & LED Headlights - Page 6
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, HID & LED Headlights in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; i was able to install my aftermarket hid kit thanks to Blue_Skies he send me instructions but i did not ...
    romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

Re: HID & LED Headlights

i was able to install my aftermarket hid kit thanks to Blue_Skies he send me instructions but i did not take the bumper off did it from the wheel well behid the headlight its tight there but duable. The results are amazing. I will take pictures later on when it gets dark. no need to spend extra money just purchase a good hid kit 6000k bulbs and anti flikker resisters. I bought mine from DDM tunning they are really good
    Attached Images

MyersBalls is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by romanats View Post
    i was able to install my aftermarket hid kit thanks to Blue_Skies he send me instructions but i did not take the bumper off did it from the wheel well behid the headlight its tight there but duable. The results are amazing. I will take pictures later on when it gets dark. no need to spend extra money just purchase a good hid kit 6000k bulbs and anti flikker resisters. I bought mine from DDM tunning they are really good
    Looks good. How much?

$50 for hid kit and $10 for anti flikker wires and about an hour of time .

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Romanats, which kit did you buy? I looked at the site, but couldn't figure out what to look for.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Post a link to the product?

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

i selected 9006 bulb and 55W 6000k color

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Hey, romanats, I know that I PM'd you for a description of just how you got to do the job without removing the bumper and how you did the hookups, but I think it would be awfully helpful to the forum members (at least those who are into doable mods), if you could do the write-up in this thread...or maybe just start a new thread with the DIY. BTW, I don't mean to cause any extra work for you, just thought it would be nice to suggest that you share your knowledge with the rest of us.

I SAW YOUR PM JUST HAVE NOT GOTTEN A CHANCE TO REPLY i WILL DO A STEP BY STEP WRITE UP

tcnole is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

No pressure, but are you still planning on doing a write-up? Thanks.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

im more interested in someone doing a full conversion for base/luxury cars to have performance/premium headlights/foglights.

you are talking at least 2K project are you willing to spend that kind of money ?

Quote Originally Posted by romanats View Post
    you are talking at least 2K project are you willing to spend that kind of money ?
    had my car not been a lease, i would actually strongly consider it.....but that is extremely disapointing news. is it because of the wiring only? the stock led headlight wont fit? cuz if it fits, i guess you could do some wire splicing and get the DRL to run the LEDs and fogs.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    had my car not been a lease, i would actually strongly consider it.....but that is extremely disapointing news. is it because of the wiring only? the stock led headlight wont fit? cuz if it fits, i guess you could do some wire splicing and get the DRL to run the LEDs and fogs.
    One issue is that the 2013 HID headlights are adaptive (motorized to turn with the steering wheel). And every time you start the car after dusk, they go thru a calibration dance that seems to include leveling them. That's why my wife named the car "crosseyed terminator". Unless all that is completely self contained (i.e. not talking to some other component of the car) there might not be a way to keep the premium/performance HIDs aimed straight in a base or Luxury.

The good news is the 2014s apparently have an option for HIDs in a Luxury. If that also includes the LEDs (highly likely) but not the adaptive stuff it may mean it will be easier/cheaper to retrofit a 2013 with HID/LEDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    One issue is that the 2013 HID headlights are adaptive (motorized to turn with the steering wheel). And every time you start the car after dusk, they go thru a calibration dance that seems to include leveling them. That's why my wife named the car "crosseyed terminator". Unless all that is completely self contained (i.e. not talking to some other component of the car) there might not be a way to keep the premium/performance HIDs aimed straight in a base or Luxury.

The good news is the 2014s apparently have an option for HIDs in a Luxury. If that also includes the LEDs (highly likely) but not the adaptive stuff it may mean it will be easier/cheaper to retrofit a 2013 with HID/LEDs.
    you dont think theres a way to "freeze" the adaptive feature and bypass all that? splice the cables to power only? i have no idea how this stuff works, im just trying to find a work around.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    you dont think theres a way to "freeze" the adaptive feature and bypass all that? splice the cables to power only? i have no idea how this stuff works, im just trying to find a work around.
    Anything is possible, but my guess is the headlights would 'freak out' and point in some limp home default position and try to tell the car that they're broken.

And Hoosier is partially correct about the adaptive headlights, they do not move with the steering wheel, you can test this by keeping the car at a standstill and turning the wheel, they will not move. The headlights are a little more sophisticated in that they communicate with the vehicle and are pointed at the vehicles calculated trajectory, based on steering angle, vehicle speed and yaw rate. This can be tested by rolling 5-10 MPH and rapidly turning the wheel back and forth, you'll notice that where the light is pointed is out of sync with the wheel movement, but instead is in sync with the calculated trajectory that speed and wheel angle will produce. You'll also notice if you stop moving the wheel at a left or right angle the light snaps to where your headed. One more thing to note is that the beam is not as much pointed as it is shaped, the system will move the individual lenses independently and more outward than inward, it kinda looks like your beam pattern is being stretched toward the direction your turning.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.