HID & LED Headlights - Page 4
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, HID & LED Headlights in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Wanted to Slap around my dealer after I took position of my 2.0 Luxury. Was agonizing over the trim levels, ...
    lurshy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 SRX, 2013 ATS 2.0T Lux

Re: HID & LED Headlights

Wanted to Slap around my dealer after I took position of my 2.0 Luxury. Was agonizing over the trim levels, and didn't see much of a critical difference between perfomance / premium and the luxury so went with the luxury with a couple of options. I didn't see one on the lot before ordering (they got the car from a locate) at another dealer.

Never pointed out that I don't get the LEDs in the Luxury. In fact I went to the service department because they weren't working. The lux has trim which makes it appear there should be vertical LEDs next to tfe headlamp, but alas its just trim.

Would have been a no brainer to step up with lighting being a key factor...

Also surprised that blind spot warning is not in driver awareness package but only in Driver assist??? I would think that letting someone know there is a car in their blindspot would be a key item to make a driver aware of....

kennyjd6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

So if anyone was wondering if you could do a straight swap.... I too did not get an ATS with the LED headlights, really wanted them but didn't want to pay that much more. Couldn't find any info, so figured i'd be a guinea pig. Anyways I ordered the LED headlight to see if it would possibly just be a straight replacement, but without adaptive lighting etc. But it doesn't, figured it wouldn't, the wiring is different and even if you do manage to hook it up the light flickers and the LEDs don't turn on. Dunno if we could use an adapter or rewire it, haven't messed with it too much. But figured id share, since there's still not much info yet.

paul780 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by kennyjd6 View Post
    So if anyone was wondering if you could do a straight swap.... I too did not get an ATS with the LED headlights, really wanted them but didn't want to pay that much more. Couldn't find any info, so figured i'd be a guinea pig. Anyways I ordered the LED headlight to see if it would possibly just be a straight replacement, but without adaptive lighting etc. But it doesn't, figured it wouldn't, the wiring is different and even if you do manage to hook it up the light flickers and the LEDs don't turn on. Dunno if we could use an adapter or rewire it, haven't messed with it too much. But figured id share, since there's still not much info yet.
    That is too bad. I also was hoping I could simply do a swap of the existing halogen headlights with the LED headlights. If you ever figure out a way to make this work please share. Also, where did you order the LED headlights from? Web or dealer? Just curious.
    Thanks

kennyjd6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by paul780 View Post
    That is too bad. I also was hoping I could simply do a swap of the existing halogen headlights with the LED headlights. If you ever figure out a way to make this work please share. Also, where did you order the LED headlights from? Web or dealer? Just curious.
    Thanks
    Yeah id love to try and figure a way to make it work, the LED headlights are one of my favorite features. Just wish it wasn't so difficult to get to the headlights, I'm usually too busy to risk taking apart the front of my car for more than a day haha. And I got them from a parts seller on ebay, he had a "A and B grade". There are some GM supplier sites that sell them, if you search with the part number, they're just more expensive from there.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

edit: never mind.

rocco11189 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I see that people are trying to install the LED Headlights however has anyone attempted to install fog lights in their ATS?

Dblnklamg is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I really want to figure out the led headlight conversation. I also want to see about installing the led handles let me know if anyone has an ideas.

clasione is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yea, I have the same senario..... I realized after I purchased that there was no fog lights.. Sucks. Anyone know what Cadillac charges to put them in? I'd prefer to not void or have a problem with the warrantee but a Caddy with no fogs isn't working for me.

Clasione it would be easy to install them if the wiring harness is there to hook them right up otherwise it would take some work. The dealer will charge way too much to do this install. The only individual on here that I know that has done headlight work is Blue_Skies. I tried to DM him but the structure of this forum and amount of DM's you can have is terrible.

mrrairai76 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium WDT, 2011 Denali WDT

Quote Originally Posted by lurshy View Post
    Wanted to Slap around my dealer after I took position of my 2.0 Luxury. Was agonizing over the trim levels, and didn't see much of a critical difference between perfomance / premium and the luxury so went with the luxury with a couple of options. I didn't see one on the lot before ordering (they got the car from a locate) at another dealer.

Never pointed out that I don't get the LEDs in the Luxury. In fact I went to the service department because they weren't working. The lux has trim which makes it appear there should be vertical LEDs next to tfe headlamp, but alas its just trim.

Would have been a no brainer to step up with lighting being a key factor...

Also surprised that blind spot warning is not in driver awareness package but only in Driver assist??? I would think that letting someone know there is a car in their blindspot would be a key item to make a driver aware of....
    Why would you slap the dealer for that? That's why we went over the ATS with a fine tooth comb before we purchased it. The only drawback for us was that steering wheel didn't have the power telescopic memory setting that my Yukon has.

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by rocco11189 View Post
    Clasione it would be easy to install them if the wiring harness is there to hook them right up otherwise it would take some work. The dealer will charge way too much to do this install. The only individual on here that I know that has done headlight work is Blue_Skies. I tried to DM him but the structure of this forum and amount of DM's you can have is terrible.
    Sorry, been away a bit. I did PM you back.

As to the question, no you cannot simply 'swap' the halogen projector unit for the HID unit. They will be 'screw-mount' compatible, but not 'plug-mount'. You have to get a new harnass to the light unit, and this is a laborious effort. Theoretically, you can splice the current harnass and make it compatible to the factor OEM HID unit, but why not go the easy route and just add HID bulbs and be done?

The shop manual is misleading - the mechanic printed all the pages for me, but the information we derived from there was incorrect. The two model lines (base/luxury) and (performance/premium) are different in terms of electronics and wiring.

If you really do want the OEM headlights, and simply splice in a connector, but for lighting only. You will not get the active steering (adaptive lighting) input. I actually considered this, and even ordered wiring materials, but decided to try the HID bulb swap first. It is simple, and works well, quite well actually.

For the lower facia, you can get the OEM parts, this is just an LED strip. I did put in an aftermarket LED strip, same result.

I strongly suggest for Cadillac to change the Luxury to have the Premium' wiring, and then offer an option to the buyer for Halogen or HID headlights, and an owner can swap them freely (upgrade later), at his pleasure.

I would actually advocate that the Luxury trim should have HID lights standard.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post

As to the question, no you cannot simply 'swap' the halogen projector unit for the HID unit. They will be 'screw-mount' compatible, but not 'plug-mount'. You have to get a new harnass to the light unit, and this is a laborious effort. Theoretically, you can splice the current harnass and make it compatible to the factor OEM HID unit, but why not go the easy route and just add HID bulbs and be done?

The shop manual is misleading - the mechanic printed all the pages for me, but the information we derived from there was incorrect. The two model lines (base/luxury) and (performance/premium) are different in terms of electronics and wiring.

If you really do want the OEM headlights, and simply splice in a connector, but for lighting only. You will not get the active steering (adaptive lighting) input. I actually considered this, and even ordered wiring materials, but decided to try the HID bulb swap first. It is simple, and works well, quite well actually.

For the lower facia, you can get the OEM parts, this is just an LED strip. I did put in an aftermarket LED strip, same result.

I strongly suggest for Cadillac to change the Luxury to have the Premium' wiring, and then offer an option to the buyer for Halogen or HID headlights, and an owner can swap them freely (upgrade later), at his pleasure.

Thank you for the PM it was very helpful and informative. If I ordered the OEM fog lights would I have to splice them in or is the harness there for me to do a direct plug in?

Rongotti is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Do you have any before and after pics? Also what was the cost?

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

The halogen headlights on this car are seriously weak. The HIDs are acceptably bright, but have the same strange optics as the base headlights, especially when on bright. The adaptive feature doesn't alter this. The lights on the CTS, both base halogen and up-level adaptive HID, are much better. With the current lights, HID on the base would much safer, and then add the adaptive lights in upper level models. Using the optics from the CTS would be a great idea, too. The LED DRLs should be on the Luxury IMO. The lower LEDs should be retuned/re-aimed and be turned into fog lamps, or add fog lamps into the chromed cross-bar of the outward grill area.

bboren994 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

Are there 2 bulbs in the headlights? 1 for high beam, 1 for low beam? If you put on the aftermarket HID's, what happens to your high beams? Are you positive the bulb is the 9006?

----------

No need for a tutorial, conversion is pretty simple, really. It takes $100 in parts and a couple of hours in a garage.

Search for "ATS HID" at amazon.com. This should point you to this $85 item -> link ZEEZ-HID-Headlight-Conversion-CADILLAC
    (Their ballasts are of very high quality).
    I gave them all the information, but I believe it to just be the GM 9006 standard halogen size.

Make sure that you also get the Anti Flicker Capacitor - here is an ebay $10 item -> link anti-flicker+capacitor
    You need this to arrest the flickering of the DRL.
    (You HID take over the DRL function - they are 'normally on'
    - but you can turn them off in the daytime by turning off the automatic light control on the steering wheel control stalk).

ATS: OEM halogen bulb

HID replacement bulb

And you'll need to remove the bumper, wire the HID and put it back on.

The projectors are quite clean with the HID bulb - better than most that I have seen prior

Reminder - an adjustment screw on the headlight unit exist for vertical alignment only (big white plastic screw). (There should not be any adjustment needed, really, but my halogen bulbs were actually aimed a bit too high).

And 6000k looks great, nicer than the 4500k Premium HIDs. (Don't go any higher)
    Are there 2 bulbs in the headlights? 1 for high beam, 1 for low beam? If you put on the aftermarket HID's, what happens to your high beams? Are you positive the bulb is the 9006?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.