HID & LED Headlights - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, HID & LED Headlights in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I know you can buy the HID kit of Amazon or eBay. What's involved in replacing the projector housing and ...
    nfavor is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: HID & LED Headlights

I know you can buy the HID kit of Amazon or eBay. What's involved in replacing the projector housing and also adding the LED(?) lights where the fog lamps would go? I'm sure this is more than a few hundred dollars, but I'm curious what would be involved.

antd71889 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2013

i really want to instal the hids as well can we get a step by step tutorial up here? help your fellow cadillac owners out!!!

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by antd71889 View Post
    i really want to instal the hids as well can we get a step by step tutorial up here? help your fellow cadillac owners out!!!
    pm me if questions - most is really straightforward.

mrrairai76 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium WDT, 2011 Denali WDT

Quote Originally Posted by nfavor View Post
    I know you can buy the HID kit of Amazon or eBay. What's involved in replacing the projector housing and also adding the LED(?) lights where the fog lamps would go? I'm sure this is more than a few hundred dollars, but I'm curious what would be involved.
    Replacing projector housings are a whole nother animal but it is the proper way to do it. Check out the HIDPlanet website there are plenty of people there doing true HID retrofits. I would strongly recommend against altering your stock headlight housings. If possible order some replacements and butcher those up for the projector replacement. Plus with a retrofit you could choose your projector and gain a much sharper cutoff than the Cadillac projectors give you. I love the HIDs on my 2.0 but IMO the cutoff is crappy.

larrymit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS

Before you get too excited with HID headlamps, know what you are getting yourself in for. I have a 2007 Lexus ES350 with adaptive (move with the front wheels) HID headlamps. I don't find that they do a noticeably better job of illuminating the road and I just paid over $300 to have a bulb replaced! I'm sure the performance of the lighting varies from brand of car to brand of car, but I don't think HID is necessarily better than haolgen and there are disadvantages.

slowdriver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Still negotiating

I do not like HID lighting, it is not as bright in my opinion. Had 2 cars and a motor cycle with it and I was not impressed. Always driving with the brights or fog lights on. To much of a blue light which does not go as far in the distance .

khuntley89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
    Conversion to HID + LED is not that difficult though, but you need to use the after market.
    Kind of silly for a new car, imho.

Can you post pics of your car in the day time? I want to see how the LEDs look in day light.

Quote Originally Posted by khuntley89 View Post
    Can you post pics of your car in the day time? I want to see how the LEDs look in day light.
    Like this?

The type I have installed currently requires 'straight' placement, and the bumper section in which they are placed is angled with respect to the car. If I set them flush with the bumper, they shine a bit sideways, not forwards.

I am contemplating to either make them recessed (they will slide into the black area), or swap them out for a different type - I have another set that is more distributed in light output (radius), and displays over a wider angle.

Don't have any other pictures at this time, and the weather has not been cooperative.

khuntley89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Exactly what I was looking for. Look good!

Lefort is offline Cadillac Owners Member

To me the standard HID seem quite dim. Is there a way to improve this. When driving this car after my Lexus GS 350 I almost feel like I cannot see well at night. If I change the bulb from the stock 4500k to 6000k will s
    This make any significant difference.

mrrairai76 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium WDT, 2011 Denali WDT
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefort
    To me the standard HID seem quite dim. Is there a way to improve this. When driving this car after my Lexus GS 350 I almost feel like I cannot see well at night. If I change the bulb from the stock 4500k to 6000k will s
    This make any significant difference.
    Doesn't 4500K put out more lumens than 6000K?

Its an ATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Premium 3.6 AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrairai76

Doesn't 4500K put out more lumens than 6000K?
    Yup! Interesting huh? I think 4300 has the highest output and works best with the human eye. The numbers just change the color mostly. People like the 6k because its very blue and obnoxious, 8-12k then you find purple....

Quote Originally Posted by Its an ATS View Post
    Yup! Interesting huh? I think 4300 has the highest output and works best with the human eye. The numbers just change the color mostly. People like the 6k because its very blue and obnoxious, 8-12k then you find purple....
    Correction, 5500K is daylight. Human eyes respond best to 4300K. The main difference between 5500K and 4300K is that the scene have a daylight or night time feel to them. Personally, I like the starker 'white' response from 5500K.

6000K is not blue - it is very close to white. If you want blue, go above 8000K. Purple is 12000K, but is nearly unsuable.

In fact, anything over 6000K is too blue, and will give no reflections in rainy weather. If you go back in time, France had 'yellow' headlights as the mandatory standards, as it works better with Haze and Fog, a common winter occurrence there.

Its an ATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Premium 3.6 AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_skies

Correction, 5500K is daylight. Human eyes respond best to 4300K. The main difference between 5500K and 4300K is that the scene have a daylight or night time feel to them. Personally, I like the starker 'white' response from 5500K.

6000K is not blue - it is very close to white. If you want blue, go above 8000K. Purple is 12000K, but is nearly unsuable.

In fact, anything over 6000K is too blue, and will give no reflections in rainy weather. If you go back in time, France had 'yellow' headlights as the mandatory standards, as it works better with Haze and Fog, a common winter occurrence there.
    I'll stick with stock 4300. I had 1800 or 2200 (can't remember which) on my GTO's fog lights. The yellow really does cut the haze/fog...

smittyg68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS

Anyone know of anywhere to get oem or good looking aftermarket fog lights. Just got my luxury ATS and realized there are no foggers. Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.