HID & LED Headlights - Page 11
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, HID & LED Headlights in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; DRL s are controlled by BCM and no dealer will desable them its a sefety feature. I had the same ...
    romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

Re: HID & LED Headlights

DRL s are controlled by BCM and no dealer will desable them its a sefety feature. I had the same ussue on my previous car Regal i asked my local dealer who i had good relationship with and they said no.

kennyjd6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Still was having problems with them shutting off.... so i got it fully working now. more of a hack i guess though, i had aftermarket bulbs and ballasts because i already did the hid conversion. so i just replaced the factory bulbs and ballasts with those, had to do some improvising, but everything even fits inside the headlight. so now it works just like if you did the hid conversion on the standard headlights, so headlights stay on in the day, but leds and all work with it now. Felt like the lights were a big part of the car's look and didnt like that they were missing, so im finally happy now. haha

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by kennyjd6 View Post
    Still was having problems with them shutting off.... so i got it fully working now. more of a hack i guess though, i had aftermarket bulbs and ballasts because i already did the hid conversion. so i just replaced the factory bulbs and ballasts with those, had to do some improvising, but everything even fits inside the headlight. so now it works just like if you did the hid conversion on the standard headlights, so headlights stay on in the day, but leds and all work with it now. Felt like the lights were a big part of the car's look and didnt like that they were missing, so im finally happy now. haha

thats perfect. im gonna do this next. did you have any issues with the lights not aiming properly because of the adaptive headlight business?

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    thats perfect. im gonna do this next. did you have any issues with the lights not aiming properly because of the adaptive headlight business?
    No its pretty simple, vertically just make sure they look level then you can adjust them with a allen wrench once they're mounted. then horizontally you do have to take the cover off the back to slide the light back and forth, so i adjusted them on the car before then mounted them after.

Heres some pics of light and ballast, not gorgeous, but it works and i wanted it to be waterproof.
    IMG_20130704_175150.jpgIMG_20130704_175206.jpg

And a terrible photo in my messy garage all working. haha. I actually think the aftermarket HID's look a little better than the stock, they look like they match the LED's a little better.
    IMG_20130704_202331.jpg

so just to make sure im getting this correctly...u have no way of only running the vertical lights at daytime with ur headlights turned off?

so just to make sure im getting this correctly...u have no way of only running the vertical lights at daytime with ur headlights turned off?
    Well not the way I wired it. I tapped into the headlights for now, so when they're on, the led's are on. And the headlights will be on in the day of course because they worked originally as drl. You could find an accessory wire and wire that directly to the led's, then they'd just come on when the car comes on, and you could turn off the headlights. But i like being able to turn them all off.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyjd6 View Post

Well not the way I wired it. I tapped into the headlights for now, so when they're on, the led's are on. And the headlights will be on in the day of course because they worked originally as drl. You could find an accessory wire and wire that directly to the led's, then they'd just come on when the car comes on, and you could turn off the headlights. But i like being able to turn them all off.
    I'm assuming between DRL and night lights, there is a power difference. Like it's low voltage during DRL and then its high for brighter headlights. That's how the base lights work right? My question is, does the led work well with that? Won't it get ruined with more power for night time lighting?

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

I'm assuming between DRL and night lights, there is a power difference. Like it's low voltage during DRL and then its high for brighter headlights. That's how the base lights work right? My question is, does the led work well with that? Won't it get ruined with more power for night time lighting?
    Haven't been keeping up with the thread, but there are two things to be aware off:

1. The DRL mode (daytime) is pulse-modulated to lower the light output (brightness). You will need a pulse-arrestor (capacitor) to avoid the HID relays from switching on and off. You can pick these up at Ebay for under $20.

If you don't use the arrestor, the HID relays will burn out prematurely, even if they seem to be working fine (as it is switching 100's of time a second). Prior generations (older) relays can burn out on a first use, so be forewarned. (Newer generations are more tolerant).

2. The LED usually has two modes: high and low. High is for daytime usage, when you can use them as DRL lights. At night time this is definitely too bright, and you'll want to switch to low power mode, in which case they appear more like accent lights.

(You could use the high power mode as 'fog' light, but the HIDs are so bright that you don't need it).

Most LED's come with a third wire (power, ground, control), that you should hook up to your side-lights. These only come on at night when the cars lights are on. If on, the LED switches to low power mode (night mode), and when off, the LED switches to high power mode (day mode).

The way that I wired the LED and HID, is that in auto-mode (DRL on), both HID and LED are bright (side-lights are off). Turn of the DRL (manually), then the LEDs stay on and bright, as an alternative DRL solution, so that I don't have to use the HID. At night, when the HID go on (and the side-lights are on), the LED goes to DIM mode. To turn the LEDs off requires an extra switch, or removal of the fuse (if you don't want a switch). I don't care, in my case they are always on, and either bright or dim.

arrachtas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

12.jpg
    13.jpg

I installed my own LED strips on the inside edge of the headlights and it came out great, pretty simple too!
    Hoosier Daddy and malaka1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by arrachtas View Post
    Attachment 124489
    Attachment 124497

I installed my own LED strips on the inside edge of the headlights and it came out great, pretty simple too!
    this looks cool in the pictures but i KNOW how its gonna look in person....u stuck it on the outside of the headlight i assume, and its one of those chinese LED strips that are just spaced out individual small LEDs to mimic the thing audi did in the beginning. it looks very ricer when ppl try to use them most of the time. urs might not, im just saying, most of the time it looks seriously bad....

It is an LED strip but it's side emitting, super bright, and incredibly thin. Because it's side emitting I was able to hide it in the seam between the headlight and the hood/bumper. I'm really particular when it comes to sloppiness so I took my time and did it right rather than just sticking them on. I was originally pretty bummed that my ATS didn't have them stock but now I think they look pretty sharp on the inside rather than the stock outside look.

Quote Originally Posted by arrachtas View Post
    It is an LED strip but it's side emitting, super bright, and incredibly thin. Because it's side emitting I was able to hide it in the seam between the headlight and the hood/bumper. I'm really particular when it comes to sloppiness so I took my time and did it right rather than just sticking them on. I was originally pretty bummed that my ATS didn't have them stock but now I think they look pretty sharp on the inside rather than the stock outside look.
    hmm. that definitely sounds better than i imagined....can you take closeup pictures of it while theyre turned off?

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

How about some pics with them turned OFF and maybe closer or zoomed in?

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

hmm. that definitely sounds better than i imagined....can you take closeup pictures of it while theyre turned off?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    How about some pics with them turned OFF and maybe closer or zoomed in?
    I second this, I was considering something like this too, and also am interested in led options for carrying that line through the bumper into the brake grills like the factory.

more closeups please.....

lastly, are you in SOCAL if so I will pay you to do this to mine if the closups are as nice as these pics...... overall great looking job

EDIT .....last question how do they appear to you while driving maybe a night shot from the drivers seat

15.jpg
    19.jpg

Here are some closeups with them off as requested... I'm in PA so sorry, no installs. Because they are side emitting and so thin they fit nicely on the side of the headlamp rather than on top. I can't see them at all while driving, nor can I see the rest of the headlamp, so there is no issue there. Thanks for the props... I was thinking the same thing about running them down below to the fog lamp area too but there isn't a really good place to hide them and I don't want it to look like junk so I'll likely hold off until some better aftermarket options come available.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.