HID & LED Headlights - Page 10
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, HID & LED Headlights in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Link not working...
    romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

Re: HID & LED Headlights

Link not working

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by romanats View Post
    Link not working
    The original one is. Maybe he will post a link to his post with the link. Or..... you could just scroll up.

MikeATS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

Quote Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
    Yes, having been able to compare the two now, the converted HID light pattern is more pleasing at night: the road just lights up brighter. Note that this is not light-color related, but light-pattern related.

Also, I expected more from the adaptive HID system - the factory HID rotate with the steering wheel, but only slightly, and the difference is marginal in comparison to the normal pattern (not like the STS which had side-light illuminating the left or right side of the road).

I have a friend who has a very dark driveway entrance, and with either HID system, the entrance remains unlit. With the STS the entrance was fully illuminated.

As to normal street driving - the 'forward' pattern of both the HID and Halogen appear closer to each other than I would have expected: as you can see from the light pattern, the Halogen light beam is concentrated in front of the car, whereas the factory HID is more dispersed. Converting the Halogen to HID gives you a concentrated HID pattern, which brightens up the road surface more. The factory HID brightens up more 'besides' the road.

I should put up a picture of my other car's (factory) HID pattern - it fits somewhere in between these two patterns, meaning it is brighter than the factory HID and less bright than the converted HID (for illuminating the road surface in front of you).
    What is the bulb size fitment (aftermarket size) for the ATS? Also, it seems like the stock halogens are dual beam bulbs functioning as low and high beams. Did you get the dual beam HID's? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by MikeATS View Post
    What is the bulb size fitment (aftermarket size) for the ATS? Also, it seems like the stock halogens are dual beam bulbs functioning as low and high beams. Did you get the dual beam HID's? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    not a dual beam, it's one bulb with a shutter in the lamp housing that that raises and lowers the beam depending on position.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/car-tech-101-...-50145422.html

very good link

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by romanats View Post
    very good link
    thanks

MikeATS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD
    Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post

not a dual beam, it's one bulb with a shutter in the lamp housing that that raises and lowers the beam depending on position.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/car-tech-101-...-50145422.html
    Thanks! Any chance you know what size bulb?

namarow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS Lux AWD 2l turbo

Great site! I went through this whole thread and I just wanted to make sure I got it. There is no way to add the LED strip up the head light area, and fog lights at this point? My dealer says nothing with them yet. I got the Lux addition as the options made more sense. However, like someone mentioned here, I was actually suprised when I saw that it did not have the LED strip going up the long vertical headlight area etc. I could care less about the other HID stuff, but I really want the strips.

Its a 9006 bulb

kennyjd6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just installed the original LED headlights on my standard ats... and It works.... somewhat... haha. Got new connectors to rewire the headlights and LED's to work, then also added a capacitor in hopes of solving the flickering problem with it. Right now it seems to work, headlights, LED's and all, as long as i turn the lights on before I start the engine.... Not really what I wanted and I'm still looking for a solution, but wanted to share and also see if anyone else had any ideas?

Heard sometimes the dealer can re-flash the computer to solve these sorts of problems but i'm not sure on that. But just thought i'd share since no one else seems to have done it yet.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by kennyjd6 View Post
    Just installed the original LED headlights on my standard ats... and It works.... somewhat... haha. Got new connectors to rewire the headlights and LED's to work, then also added a capacitor in hopes of solving the flickering problem with it. Right now it seems to work, headlights, LED's and all, as long as i turn the lights on before I start the engine.... Not really what I wanted and I'm still looking for a solution, but wanted to share and also see if anyone else had any ideas?

Heard sometimes the dealer can re-flash the computer to solve these sorts of problems but i'm not sure on that. But just thought i'd share since no one else seems to have done it yet.
    have u tried disconnecting the headlights from the DRL? standard uses the headlights as DRL and the LED trims use the LEDs as DRL. i would suggest disconeecting the DRL from the headlights so it looks more proper. that might even solve ur issue.

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    have u tried disconnecting the headlights from the DRL? standard uses the headlights as DRL and the LED trims use the LEDs as DRL. i would suggest disconeecting the DRL from the headlights so it looks more proper. that might even solve ur issue.
    Yeah I would've preferred to do that, but the DRL and regular headlights on the standard model get power from the same wires at the light. I haven't found a way to turn off the DRL. Other cars have had a fuse you could pull, but i cant find any. Or figure out where the relay is that switches between DRL and nighttime lights.

Yeah I would've preferred to do that, but the DRL and regular headlights on the standard model get power from the same wires at the light. I haven't found a way to turn off the DRL. Other cars have had a fuse you could pull, but i cant find any. Or figure out where the relay is that switches between DRL and nighttime lights.
    hmm so it only has 2 wires going to the headlights, and the DRL / night time lights are all controlled internally? if thats the case then it really cant be modded easily. i was hoping it would have 3 wires going in. ne for ground, one for DRL and one for night time running lights. the u could just get rid of the drl and hook it up to the LEDs instead.

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    hmm so it only has 2 wires going to the headlights, and the DRL / night time lights are all controlled internally? if thats the case then it really cant be modded easily. i was hoping it would have 3 wires going in. ne for ground, one for DRL and one for night time running lights. the u could just get rid of the drl and hook it up to the LEDs instead.
    Yeah just the two wires, would've made it much easier if it had 3. Thats why I put in the anti-flicker capacitor, in the hopes it would fix the issue. Then just have lights on full power during the day, like how people are adding the aftermarket HID's to the headlights. Just weird that it will work if the engine is off before, but not if they turn on with the car.

Yeah just the two wires, would've made it much easier if it had 3. Thats why I put in the anti-flicker capacitor, in the hopes it would fix the issue. Then just have lights on full power during the day, like how people are adding the aftermarket HID's to the headlights. Just weird that it will work if the engine is off before, but not if they turn on with the car.
    u mean if u turn ur headlights on and then turn the car on, the DRL works properly? headlights are off and LEDs are on? and then when its dark, headlights come on?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.