Performance vs Premium
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By marktanner
  • 2 Post By JimmyH
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Performance vs Premium in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; So what's the real difference between the Performance 3.6 and Premium 3.6 trim levels? Looks like you get a few ...
    DJZ1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Performance vs Premium

So what's the real difference between the Performance 3.6 and Premium 3.6 trim levels? Looks like you get a few more standard options on the interior, but what about suspension, transmission, etc? Is the Premium better or is the Performance better for performance. Sorry for the silly question.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Re: Performance vs Premium

If you go to this page, you can see a side by side comparison between the 3.6 performance and 3.5 premium trim levels. The performance trim level does not mean it is more for performance. The premium has everything the performance has, plus head up display and available Magnetic Ride Control. Basically, if you want MRC, you have to get the premium.

http://www.cadillac.com/ats-luxury-sport-sedan/features-specs/standard-optional-equipment.html

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

IMO, the "collections" are named in a misleading fashion, and are oddly set up. Further, they don't align with the collections from the CTS. The Performance Collection is especially misleading. While it does have the sport seats, aluminum sport pedals, paddle shifters, and adaptive headlights, it has the same "sport suspension" as all but the Premium RWD, meaning FE2. Further, it comes with 17" wheels standard, and has 18" machined wheels, no stagger, and all-season tires as a option. Limited Slip Differential is an option, except standard with the turbo 4 with manual transmission.

The Premium RWD is really the performance model, with the FE3 suspension that includes the Magnetic Ride Control, Limited Slip, and choice of 18" wheels, all with a stagger and summer performance tires. It also comes with Navigation, CD player, split folding rear seats, and Heads Up Display. The Premium AWD loses the FE3 suspension.

On the CTS, Performance includes FE2, Premium includes all luxury options including sunroof, and FE3 is a stand alone option. Sport seats are available only on the 3.6 L Touring option. Very confusing between the two model groups.

Personally, I'd like to see the ATS offer a Sport option, similar to the same model on the 3 series, and then add luxury interior or full Premium as desired as options on top of that. Include FE3, Sport seats, LSD, paddle shifters, adaptive lights, then add the Luxury leather interior or the additional Premium doodads as the buyer wishes. The only saving grace to the current configurations is that a 3 series with the Sport level costs about the same as a Premium ATS, but without the leather, Nav etc. It won't cost much more to get the sportiest ATS over a Sport 3 series, but it will be much better equipped.

Still, it's all very confusing and misleading.
    msheikh25 and msheikh25 like this.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

These trim levels are meant to appeal to the mass market consumers. They are not meant for the enthusiast. I think the enthusiast would prefer an a la cart selection of options, which is too confusing for the average car buyer.

I really don't think any method matters, except to the very few of you who order cars. The vast majority of buyers are just going to take whatever they find on dealer lots.
    investor74 and investor74 like this.

shudog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by marktanner View Post

The Premium RWD is really the performance model, with the FE3 suspension that includes the Magnetic Ride Control, Limited Slip, and choice of 18" wheels, all with a stagger and summer performance tires. It also comes with Navigation, CD player, split folding rear seats, and Heads Up Display. The Premium AWD loses the FE3 suspension.
    This is good info. This is the optioned model I'd be interested in

Looking more closely at the staggered 18" wheel option, it has the same width tire on both front & back. Seems odd... what's the point of staggered wheels if you're not gaining tread width? I'd rather they be the same all around so you can rotate them...

The Premium RWD has 8" wide wheels with 225 tires in front, and 9" wheels with 255s in the rear. Luxury AWD and Performance offer 18 x 8 with 225s all around as options, and that is standard on Premium AWD as well. The Premium RWD definitely has a stagger in both wheels and tires, but it is the only model to offer it.

DJZ1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

So the 3.6 Premium AWD has the FE2 suspension which does not have the magnetic ride control? Or is it the FE3 with the magnetic ride control.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    These trim levels are meant to appeal to the mass market consumers. They are not meant for the enthusiast. I think the enthusiast would prefer an a la cart selection of options, which is too confusing for the average car buyer.

I really don't think any method matters, except to the very few of you who order cars. The vast majority of buyers are just going to take whatever they find on dealer lots.
    True, but that doesnt change the fact that the packages are named in a confusing manner. The Performance model should have the best performance parts available below the V. The Premium can have them as well, but must have all the luxury/tech items.

The Premium 2.0 or 3.6 with RWD are the only models with FE3. FE3 includes MRC, LSD, and 18" wheels with the stagger. One can get LSD on Performance, and it's standard with the Stick, but it's FE2 only, with 17s standard, and non-staggered 18s optional. Not what I would call Performance, but I'm not in marketing. AWD Premium is FE2 only, with 18" machined (curvy spokes) with all-season run-flats the only choice. IMO, the collection names are misleading and illogical, and the wheel choices are very confusing, and also illogical. For instance, the polished 18s are available on Luxury AWD, no stagger, or Premium RWD with staggered summer tires only. They are not available on the more expensive Performance at all, or on the Premium AWD, or even RWD Luxury, even though these are the most expensive wheels. Strange.

----------

Just looking through the brochure again, and noticed a picture pf a Radiant Silver Performance Collection (it looks like Glacier Blue in this photo) with the polished 18s, even though a few pages later, it clearly states this combination is not available. Oops!

Cisitalia is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6 RWD WDT/LPB

Yeah I noticed that too concerning the performance model picture with the upgraded polished 18s. The marketing and advertising weenies made a blooper for sure! Good eyes. It confused me to at first.

I've tried building my own online several times now and I can't get the FE3 or MRC option to come up on either the 2.0T Premium or 3.6L Premium, in RWD or AWD... I can't even tell how much the option is?

----------

Edit - nevermind, looks like as long as you select RWD and Premium on either the 2.0T or 3.6, the FE3 package is already included. And it's NOT an option on the Performance package... weird.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.