8-speed automatic
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 8-speed automatic in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I got a tip from a guy who's wife works at GM powertrain. They are unveiling the 8-speed automatic next ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

8-speed automatic

I got a tip from a guy who's wife works at GM powertrain. They are unveiling the 8-speed automatic next week. Take with a grain of salt as neither he nor his wife, are car enthusiasts. So it could be second hand info. But she does work there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    But others have an 8 speed. If Cadillac is to be the standard of the world, it needs at least 9, if not 10, speeds!

Re: 8-speed automatic

baby steps

I still say an 8 speed auto is ridiculous. The only reason they are doing it is to keep up with the Joneses.
    MoFex, MoFex, benneyb and 1 others like this.

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

i don't think the ATS needs it, it has plenty of power for the weight. I do think the XTS would benefit, however, since the V6 only develops a little over 300 hp in FWD configuration and many reviews of the XTS have mentioned that it could use a little more power or extra gears.

I agree with you. But it's likely they will put it in the ATS at some point just because.

blacaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS4 Wagon

One other reason is to make up for the low end torque deficiencies of the current line of high revving engines
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    baby steps

I still say an 8 speed auto is ridiculous. The only reason they are doing it is to keep up with the Joneses.

EnvoyBu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6L Premium Collection

Quote Originally Posted by blacaddy View Post
    One other reason is to make up for the low end torque deficiencies of the current line of high revving engines
    Torque deficiencies? The only one that sort of needs it is the 2.5L. The 2.0T is strong down low, and the 3.6L is plenty strong. Trust me. I've driven the 3.6L more than once...

If you drive a Camaro LT and Camaro SS back to back, you will definitely feel a torque deficiency in the 3.6

EnvoyBu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6L Premium Collection

If you drive a Camaro LT and Camaro SS back to back, you will definitely feel a torque deficiency in the 3.6
    And if you drive an ATS 3.6L...

youknooow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED
    Yup all these manufacturers are going past 6 and 7 gears because there are no benefits to employing a 8 speed it's crizay to me when people say this is over kill I drive a V series and i think the ratio of the 1 2 handoff is too far apart for max acceleration of what the engine can actually put dwn or when already in motion and you want max acceleration but the ratios won't allow you to access your engines sweet spot right away an 8 speed employed right I think can address some of these examples especially as efficiency is more and more necessary.

buttfish77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Talk about a run-on sentence!

Quote Originally Posted by youknooow View Post
    Yup all these manufacturers are going past 6 and 7 gears because there are no benefits to employing a 8 speed it's crizay to me when people say this is over kill I drive a V series and i think the ratio of the 1 2 handoff is too far apart for max acceleration of what the engine can actually put dwn or when already in motion and you want max acceleration but the ratios won't allow you to access your engines sweet spot right away an 8 speed employed right I think can address some of these examples especially as efficiency is more and more necessary.

youknooow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED
    Lmao

I got a tip from a guy who's wife works at GM powertrain. They are unveiling the 8-speed automatic next week. Take with a grain of salt as neither he nor his wife, are car enthusiasts. So it could be second hand info. But she does work there.
    It would appear my source was incorrect. I saw no press releases of any kind last week.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

It would appear my source was incorrect. I saw no press releases of any kind last week.
    what would they have put it in anyway?

There's no major new GM product in the pipeline that could use it.

I was under the impression they were going to have some kind of press release with data or specifications or something. I now imagine it was probably some internal presentation or something.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.