8-speed automatic - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 8-speed automatic in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; goob....
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    goob.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Re: 8-speed automatic

I have heard rumblings of seven speed manuals and 8 speed autos for the C7 Corvette. Thats just over a year away.

pragmatic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

First quarter 2014 (does not report which vehicles will use it only that it is RWD) Trucks may be first appication

http://www.13abc.com/story/18769971/...d-transmission

zr1mom is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Prem 2.0T AWD Black Raven Red

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    If you drive a Camaro LT and Camaro SS back to back, you will definitely feel a torque deficiency in the 3.6
    Funny I traded in a V6 Camaro for my ATS.

----------

The other reason for the 8 speed I would guess is a little better gas mileage. The BMW has the 8 speed and that's what the ATS is going after. The BMW right now is rated slightly higher than the ATS.

HandletheTruth is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Saw this basic link / reply in a separate URL discussing this topic. At the Aisin 8-speed auto transmission website (see attached URL below), it indicates a 5% acceleration advantage and a 7% fuel economy advantage versus a standard 6 speed auto. These improvements in both acceleration & fuel economy are significant and would be difficult to implement using other approaches. I hope the 8-speed is not much heavier than the 6-speed, which also shifts very smoothly. When will the 8-speeds be available in the ATS?

http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/product...n/at/at01.html
    Note: Highlight the URL above, right click on it; select the "Go to http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/products/drivetrain/at/at01.html"

Its an ATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Premium 3.6 AWD
    The whole trans/diff needs a rework. The Audi S4 has 333 hp through a 7 speed auto and runs a 12.9. It is also 3800 lbs. it's not all about 0-60 and 1/4 miles, but there is def some work to be done as far as putting power to the pavement. If cadillac can fix that with an 8 speed, then by all means.

bdwalters is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium

I have heard that the ATS will have the Aisin 8-speed next year and then a GM-sourced 8-speed after that. I guess we'll see. The BMW 8-speed is pretty amazing, so if GM can duplicate that, the ATS will be even better (and it will take away one of the 3's few advantages).

Atswatcher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have compared the 8 speed in the new 3 series and the 6 speed in the ATS, there is no advantage of 8 speed other than maybe slightly more mpg. If you are like me used to drive in manual mode, 8 speed is actually worse.

Previous entry in this thread - Saw this basic link / reply in a separate URL discussing this topic. At the Aisin 8-speed auto transmission website (see attached URL below), it indicates a 5% acceleration advantage and a 7% fuel economy advantage versus a standard 6 speed auto. These improvements in both acceleration & fuel economy are significant and would be difficult to implement using other approaches. I hope the 8-speed is not much heavier than the 6-speed, which also shifts very smoothly. When will the 8-speeds be available in the ATS?

http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/product...n/at/at01.html
    Note: Highlight the URL above, right click on it; select the "Go to http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/products/drivetrain/at/at01.html"

Wideband is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    The link provided is incorrect with page not found error.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

The hyper-link is broken - got the ellipses (...) thrown into the actual link instead of just the link text... the link in quotes at the end is good
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Also, try the link from my previous entry dated 11-24-12 in this thread. This original link worked for me just now.

bdwalters is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium

There are multiple advantages with an 8-speed: better mileage, better acceleration, and smoother, faster shifts. The 8-speed in the BMW 3 is better than the 6-speed in the ATS, although the one in the ATS is still very good. There is a reason that companies are spending the money to develop 8-speeds for cars. Now if you like to manual shift quite a bit, I can see that being irritating, but it's otherwise hard to argue that and 8-speed isn't clearly better than a 6-speed, assuming they have similarly good engineering.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

This is all about meeting stringent new federal fuel economy regulations set for 2017 as well as similar standards coming in Europe. That's why GM and Ford are forming an alliance for development to save costs. The so called acceleration benefits, yada yada, are a sales pitch to justify the higher car cost for the tranny.

Macvicar24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 White Diamond Escalade, 2013 ATS Thunder Grey
    Maybe the announcement of the new Chevy SS Sedan next week will involve a new 8 speed auto with the new LT1 attached to it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.