Why only 6 cogs? - Page 4
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Why only 6 cogs? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept nothing wrong with having an opinion - just don't get all bent out of shape when ...
    youknooow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED

Re: Why only 6 cogs?

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    nothing wrong with having an opinion - just don't get all bent out of shape when people try and tell you that your opinion is just an opinion and doesn't line up with the facts

especially when they've got the data and info to tell you why
    Really, are you serious right now. Did you read what "thebigjimsho" posted vs what I have? Please re-read his post and the post a response to him stating "just don't get all bent out of shape".

No one here has stated facts, everyone has stated their opinion as well as the journalist who have written bout the ATS. Until the ATS is matched with another shift box and stats/data is compared nothing stated here is anything more than an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    8 is not automatically better than 6, period. The fact yooooouuudontknow claims that it automatically is is a farce...
    Thats not what I said, I stated my opinion of the inherent benefits of going with more gears than 6; obviously you disagree but can't keep your disagreement in the context of the debated topic.

Tell me a GM 4 speed that out performs GM's 6 speeds?

EnvoyBu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6L Premium Collection

Quote Originally Posted by youknooow View Post
    Thats not what I said, I stated my opinion of the inherent benefits of going with more gears than 6; obviously you disagree but can't keep your disagreement in the context of the debated topic.

I'd take the 4 speed in the GMT-360's over the 6 speed in the Lambdas any day of the week and twice on Sunday for driveability, smoothness, and willingness to downshift.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EnvoyBu View Post
    I'd take the 4 speed in the GMT-360's over the 6 speed in the Lambdas any day of the week and twice on Sunday for driveability, smoothness, and willingness to downshift.
    I am actually quite satisfied with the 6-speed in our Enclave. It isn't the smoothest shifting trans, but I like the fact that I can actually feel the shifts, unlike in a Lexus. And it does tend to not want to downshift, but I think that's just in the programming to save fuel. The 6-speed that was in my Camaro LT was very willing to downshift.

EnvoyBu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6L Premium Collection

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I am actually quite satisfied with the 6-speed in our Enclave. It isn't the smoothest shifting trans, but I like the fact that I can actually feel the shifts, unlike in a Lexus. And it does tend to not want to downshift, but I think that's just in the programming to save fuel. The 6-speed that was in my Camaro LT was very willing to downshift.
    Weird. We have a 2010 Acadia, and that transmission makes the ones in our Envoys seem like their an SMG tranny from Porsche!

The 2010 Acadia should be the same transmission that is in my 2009 Enclave. And I think the internal gearset is closely related to the six speed autos in the Camaro and CTS. None of them are what I would call a great transmission. But given the cost of the vehicles they are installed in, I think they do an admirable job.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Hey, 1 of 3 Black Ice w/ Tango Red STS-V owner. SHUTIT! While your car's engine is dead, my DATED SBC powered CTS-V is kicking the German's ass.

You are just one of those frontrunners that just have to own the newest thing, huh? Because it's newer automatically makes it better, right? Huh? Please...
    /end thread and tops any further argument.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

LS3 MN6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

From 4 to 6 there are efficiency gains. However at some point putting in more gears (without moving the top and bottom ends) hurts you as the transmission has to constantly shift.

An 8 speed only is better than a 6 if you do two things. One make an ultra low highway gear for 65-80 MPH cruising at 30 MPG and make a REALLY high 1st gear so you can make the Diff gearing more advantageous.

Most of the time these things are NOT done.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    /end thread and tops any further argument.
    Did you read what I wrote vs what he wrote to sign his convoluted statement? who said new was always better? In a nutshell what I expressed here was, with the ATS being a new vehicle from the ground up, why debut it with a "dated" transmission when better technology is available, if your touting your "the standard of the world" mean it, it shouldn't be just something cool to say. The thebigjimsho wrote "my DATED SBC powered CTS-V is kicking the German's ass" well the German vehicle was the one that was benched marked, which speaks volumes and the statement itself has expired... M5eater your name is not even valid anymore, did you factor when you picked your screen name other car makers arn't as complacent as Cadillac? Did BMW need to replace the V10, no. But they did because better technology was available to produce a engine that was more efficient while accomplishing the previous job of the V10 and then some. But like the article was quoted, "it was almost as good"...sometimes these forums are like politics,lol, people just say whatever true or not trying to make a point.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

*yawn* This thread is borring.
    JimmyH and JimmyH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    *yawn* This thread is borring.
    potd

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

that's what this whole thread boils down to:
    you're saying GM doesn't have the newest better transmission - "why only 6 cogs?"
    we're saying there is no possible way that you can know that GM had a better alternative and didn't choose it
    we're even telling you why there was no better alternative and that GM is working on better transmissions that currently available
    you keep saying we're not listening when you're obviously not listening to us
    we get bored of you

------

what better technology is available?
    how do you know it's available?
    (just because another car has it does not mean it's available)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

LS3 MN6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Did you read what I wrote vs what he wrote to sign his convoluted statement? who said new was always better? In a nutshell what I expressed here was, with the ATS being a new vehicle from the ground up, why debut it with a "dated" transmission when better technology is available, if your touting your "the standard of the world" mean it, it shouldn't be just something cool to say. The thebigjimsho wrote "my DATED SBC powered CTS-V is kicking the German's ass" well the German vehicle was the one that was benched marked, which speaks volumes and the statement itself has expired... M5eater your name is not even valid anymore, did you factor when you picked your screen name other car makers arn't as complacent as Cadillac? Did BMW need to replace the V10, no. But they did because better technology was available to produce a engine that was more efficient while accomplishing the previous job of the V10 and then some. But like the article was quoted, "it was almost as good"...sometimes these forums are like politics,lol, people just say whatever true or not trying to make a point.
    I think you fail to grasp the concepts of capital spending and R&D budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by LS3 MN6 View Post
    I think you fail to grasp the concepts of capital spending and R&D budgets.
    Why, because I posted my opinion as a discerning consumer?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by youknooow

Why, because I posted my opinion as a discerning consumer?
    No, because you're a frontrunner. You mock the current V(in its 5th year of production) as being inferior to an M5 that just came out. The V has been doing just fine with what its had. Not that the M5 is blowing the V's doors off as is, anyway.

Again, you're just a whiney frontrunner.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.