Why only 6 cogs? - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Why only 6 cogs? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I've driven the ATS twice now, and the 6 speed is great. Would I like to see an 8 speed? ...
    EnvoyBu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6L Premium Collection

Re: Why only 6 cogs?

I've driven the ATS twice now, and the 6 speed is great. Would I like to see an 8 speed? Yes, but only if it performs as well as the 6 speed does. It's a very underrated tranny in the ATS.

youknooow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    6 gears are more than enough. These 7 and 8 speed transmissions are ridiculous. What's next? 10 speed automatic transmissions? How much more complexity do we need? Better keep a stash of money saved up for when your german 8 speed automatic takes a crap at 101000 miles.
    Says who? I have an 03 Aurora 4.0 Northstar, traveling at 60mph, I get about 28 MPG with 20" rims, I believe with a 6 speed auto, a similar fuel economy could have been achieved at todays highway speeds of 70-80mph, which at 80mph is 20 mpg for me. Not to mention the drivability and increased acceleration performance . I would luv to compare the old Northstars performance and fuel economy with the 4 vs. 6 speed autos. Complexity should not be a reason to shun technology when the dated technology can't deliver what the new technology can.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

That's great. just don't complain when your warranty is up and you have an $8000 transmission to replace.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

It has 6 because during the restructure their 8 speed autos were put on hold and thus not ready to make the introduction. The ATS however, was one of only a few projects important enough to continue recieving funding thus it was ready before the new drivetains were.

7 speed manuals will make it into the C7, and 8 speed GM autos are not that far away. It's simply a matter of timing, 6-7 speeds are pretty much the sweet spot for performance vehicles right now anyway, and GM is managing the same fuel economy in the 2.0T/ 2.5 with a 6 speed as BMW does with it's 6 and 8 speeds.. so who cares?

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

I like the new Nissan Maxima, but they don't offer anything but a CVT tranny. Won't buy a car with that. There is your ultimate x-speed transmission. ATS-V will probably have enough delay intro time to offer a new trans choice.

The cvt Maxima is horrible. I am currently driving one and it's off-putting. I would rather have a 4-speed automatic.

The 6-speed auto in my Camaro was constantly skipping gears. So I really don't see the point of having 8.

The cvt Maxima is horrible. I am currently driving one and it's off-putting. I would rather have a 4-speed automatic.

The 6-speed auto in my Camaro was constantly skipping gears. So I really don't see the point of having 8.

LS3 MN6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Outside of ZF and Aisin no one has an 8-Speed and only Benz I think has a 7. BMW, Chrysler have pretty much bought up all the ZF capacity and the Japanese and Korean OEM's have Aisin's capacity taken. ZF is also building a 9-speed.

So until someone else develops a higher speed transmission most of the industry will use 6's. Honda still uses 5-speeds and Toyota still uses 4-speeds on the bottom end!
    M5eater and M5eater like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    I like the new Nissan Maxima, but they don't offer anything but a CVT tranny. Won't buy a car with that. There is your ultimate x-speed transmission. ATS-V will probably have enough delay intro time to offer a new trans choice.
    LIES, CVT's are great for around town, thats it! in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by LS3 MN6 View Post
    Outside of ZF and Aisin no one has an 8-Speed and only Benz I think has a 7. BMW, Chrysler have pretty much bought up all the ZF capacity and the Japanese and Korean OEM's have Aisin's capacity taken. ZF is also building a 9-speed.

So until someone else develops a higher speed transmission most of the industry will use 6's. Honda still uses 5-speeds and Toyota still uses 4-speeds on the bottom end!
    Today 4 speeds are archiac, and 5 speeds suck, 6 is the standard, but when your supposed to be the world standard you are supposed to be above the NORM. Thats why this market is so competitive now, doing the standard is not enough anymore.

That's great. just don't complain when your warranty is up and you have an $8000 transmission to replace.
    So tell everyone considering this vehicle not to buy it because when their warranty is up CUE will cost them thousands of dollars.

Skipping?

Tripping?

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by youknooow View Post
    So tell everyone considering this vehicle not to buy it because when their warranty is up CUE will cost them thousands of dollars.
    The reality is all cars are becoming more complex. Your standard Kia is loaded to the gillz with eletric this and bluetooth that. They're shoving LCD's in gauge clusters the size of my smart phone in a focus and they will all cost $$$ fix when they break. CUE may be a first for fully touch capacitive controls and the software may be decent, but from a hardware standpoint, I don't expect it will command a large premium over what anything from the germans will .. I mean, a brand new RNS-E still breaks the 2K mark and that's a 7 year old navigation system.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    The reality is all cars are becoming more complex. Your standard Kia is loaded to the gillz with eletric this and bluetooth that. They're shoving LCD's in gauge clusters the size of my smart phone in a focus and they will all cost $$$ fix when they break. CUE may be a first for fully touch capacitive controls and the software may be decent, but from a hardware standpoint, I don't expect it will command a large premium over what anything from the germans will .. I mean, a brand new RNS-E still breaks the 2K mark and that's a 7 year old navigation system.
    EXACTLY, so stating $$$$ as a reason NOT to improve GM's/Caddy's transmissions is BS. GM's 6 speeds are good, but DATED.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.