caranddriver march issue ATS article
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, caranddriver march issue ATS article in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; The ATS receives a 3 page article in the march issue of Caranddriver. Most interesting however, is the 2 page ...
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

caranddriver march issue ATS article

The ATS receives a 3 page article in the march issue of Caranddriver. Most interesting however, is the 2 page wide undercarriage shot.

Tidbits;

Active engine mounts to control skaking at idle while also tolerating high-rpm clutch drops.
    Aluminum cross members
    Iron Diff
    solid/tubular half-shafts to eliminate wheel hop.

There's body cladding on the non-drivetrain open sections to improve airflow.

CUE is merely the beginning of the gadget blitzkrieg. The options list will include radar-based brake assistance, adaptive cruise control, lane-departure warning, blind-spot warning, a head-up display, and adaptive headlights. Two optional airbags can be added to the standard eight.

The power train section states the 2.0T will come with the TR3160 manual transmission

The drag coefficient figure will ''start with a two''

they also go over a bunch of other things. They expect 0-60 times of 7,6 and 5 seconds respectively for the different power trains. 2.0T and 3.6 versions get the 4 piston brembos as we know.

The FE3 suspension package is to include;
    225/40R18's up front 255/35/R18's in back, a LSD, quicker steering, recalibrated springs & anti-roll bars, as well as 3rd gen mangeride.

Most importantly; the very last sentence on the powertrain ;

Quote Originally Posted by caranddriver
    Note: A Corvette V-8 will fit under the hood.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rand49er is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: caranddriver march issue ATS article

Yup. Read that article the minute I got in the house from the mailbox.

If the 3.6 with get the car to 5 sec (0-60), the V version just has to be low 4 sec to provide separation and justify an expected higher sticker.

When I read it, I thought that very last sentence seemed to indicate that they had no intelligence yet whatsoever as to what would end up actually going in the car, and they threw that in there to juice it up a little. Well, it worked.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

All that geewhiz stuff is going to push the ATS well above $50k. The ATS-V is starting to sound like $60k+ car.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    All that geewhiz stuff is going to push the ATS well above $50k. The ATS-V is starting to sound like $60k+ car.
    I don't think there's any chance for a base MSRP 60K ATS-V, certinally it's not going to be an M3 for 30 grand off like the CTS was to an M5, but I don't see any chance of it commanding a price premium over an M3, even if it has more standard features, that would just be a marketing no-no. That said, do I expect that you will be able to spec it to 60K or more? Absolutely, you can push an M3 into very nearly 80K, and the B7 RS4 was every bit of $70K+ even when they finnaly brought it over to the states.

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The FE3 car will be $45 at least.

The steering is different in the AWD versus the RWD too. The AWD has the slowest rack, it's marginally slower than the RWD FE2 rack. The FE3 is a fast rack, and personally the only one I'd buy.

However the dirty little secret is that the FE2 and FE3 racks are dimensionally equivalent, and you could put an FE3 rack in an FE2 car if you wanted to. AWD is different though due to the packaging of the front differential.

Was the CTS4 like that too? I was VERY disappointed in the steering in my CTS4. To be fair, it was defective and the propeller assembly had to be replaced. Even after it was fixed though, it felt no where near as direct and sharp like the car rags led me to believe. The steering in my 06 CTS was superior. The steering in my 05 CTS-V was pure magic.

Was the CTS4 like that too? I was VERY disappointed in the steering in my CTS4. To be fair, it was defective and the propeller assembly had to be replaced. Even after it was fixed though, it felt no where near as direct and sharp like the car rags led me to believe. The steering in my 06 CTS was superior. The steering in my 05 CTS-V was pure magic.
    yes, the CTS4 is like that, but for a different reason the actual sub frame was different (it was STS based). They had to move the rack back and thus the tie rods toward the back of the wheel as opposite to the front.

Alpha should be better. In their defense, the germans don't do this one any better.

Either way, I am done with AWD cars. Fine for an SUV. But not for a sport sedan. I should have known better. The AWD system itself was disappointing as well. Before the power could be transferred to the front wheels, stabilitrak always kicked in and shut the power off anyway. What's the point of that?

Either way, I am done with AWD cars. Fine for an SUV. But not for a sport sedan. I should have known better. The AWD system itself was disappointing as well. Before the power could be transferred to the front wheels, stabilitrak always kicked in and shut the power off anyway. What's the point of that?
    The only AWD vehicles worth driving are those from Audi, Subaru or Mitsubishi. Anything else is an option tacked on for old ladies that drive in the snow or as some kind of percieved saftey feature.

They should all give you the option, like Subaru does, to manually apportion power fore/aft. At least give you settings for performance, 0/100 front/back, normal 25/75, and snow 60/40.

They should all give you the option, like Subaru does, to manually apportion power fore/aft. At least give you settings for performance, 0/100 front/back, normal 25/75, and snow 60/40.
    Again, old ladies and snow. The hard truth is if you want an AWD luxury sports sedan, you should be in a B8 S4. Even that car doesn't have the settings you speak of. It's all eletroniclly controlled these days. The only center diff controlled vehicles are those from subaru and mitsubishi, both of which only have that because of their rally experience.

That was one of the features I really liked about the STi.

Still, if they offered something like that for ATS, I would pay extra for it.

2nd Gen CTS has 3 gears if I understand right. The "base gear" the "sport gear" and the V has a unique system. The "sport gear" is now base on the sedan (and has been since 2010 I think). All are made by ZF Steering Systems, the people who are making the ATS gear as well. Although the current CTS is still a Hydraulic Gear and the ATS is an EPS.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    yes, the CTS4 is like that, but for a different reason the actual sub frame was different (it was STS based). They had to move the rack back and thus the tie rods toward the back of the wheel as opposite to the front.

Alpha should be better. In their defense, the germans don't do this one any better.
    Sub-frames are close in Alpha, but there are some differences. The gears in the ATS are all mounted in front of the axle (by a noticeable amount). The only thing mounted further forward is the radiator. The tie rods are slightly different from AWD to the RWD's but all of them are bent tie rods (which I dislike), and are attached to the front of the knuckle. You can in fact see the tie rod "hats" when you look thru the wheel spokes. They even notched the heat shield on the brakes so the tie rod has more room to move.

If you look at the tie rods you see the suspension member bend over them. I'm not a fan of that design.

BTW, GM claims low mass from the start, but the reason you see a lot of those parts with holes in them or get very very thin in the middle is because things where redesigned to cut off mass. If you could ever get this thing next to Mule pictures you'd see the differences.

This car shed about 300 lbs over development.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.