brembo and tremec
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, brembo and tremec in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Did I read right? The NON-V ATS is going to get a manual trans from tremec and brembo brakes? ---------- ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

brembo and tremec

Did I read right? The NON-V ATS is going to get a manual trans from tremec and brembo brakes?

----------

I am hoping neither the trans nor the diff is from getrag. Blah.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: brembo and tremec

Yes. The FE3 has Brembos up front. The XTS even has Brembos. The Tremec tranny is because there was some issue with the ZF one, or so I heard.

What's with all these cars with brembos up front? Regal, Mustang, now the ATS? How much more could it really cost to add the smaller brembos to the back?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    What's with all these cars with brembos up front? Regal, Mustang, now the ATS? How much more could it really cost to add the smaller brembos to the back?
    It's not really cost, but rather sizing. It's not needed, so they don't do it. Brembo doesn't make single piston calipers to my knowledge. The backs are almost certainly single piston.

The atsv better get 4 wheel brembo.
    bruff1977 and bruff1977 like this.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Does this mean that the current gen V6 Camaro could get this transmission too instead of the Aisin trucky transmission it has now.

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    Does this mean that the current gen V6 Camaro could get this transmission too instead of the Aisin trucky transmission it has now.
    I doubt it. I think the Zeta Camaro has only 3 model years left. No reason to change a component supplier.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

The atsv better get 4 wheel brembo.
    I expect the same 2piston front/rear that everyone has these days with the good aluminum hat rotors up front.

like 0AT said, it's not needed, at all. The front brembos on all those mentioned cars are mostly there for some bling.

zinner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V / 2010 SRX 2.8T

Cobalt SS/TC got brembo'". Unfortunately it's not that special anymore. From most reviews I read, and my experience, the sportier GM models always have good brakes even if they aren't brembo and are just OEM style.

Did I read right? The NON-V ATS is going to get a manual trans from tremec and brembo brakes?

----------

I am hoping neither the trans nor the diff is from getrag. Blah.
    sorry-- didn't catch this before but;
    fyi; getrag makes the V2 rear diff. saw the logo on the 3.73 rear end this past weekend changing the gear oil.

Right on the label; getrag. I almost loled while under the car.

Cobalt SS/TC got brembo'". Unfortunately it's not that special anymore. From most reviews I read, and my experience, the sportier GM models always have good brakes even if they aren't brembo and are just OEM style.
    agreed. GM does brakes right on their performance cars every time.
    The brembo name is fairly widespread these days, but alloy calipers in general are on everything beyond the mundane sedan or econobox. When a 2.0T hyundai coupe sports brembos, you know you're not exclusive anymore.

In comparing the Camaro LT to the Camaro SS, I thought the LT (floating calipers) had better brake feel than the SS (brembo fixed calipers). Most tests showed the LT had a shorter stopping distance too. Considering the single biggest advantage of the brembos is fade resistance, and the fact that the Camaro is not a great track car, I have to wonder why they made brembos standard. I honestly would rather have the regular brakes, as they are quieter, cheaper, and allow a wider selection of wheels to fit. I was very close to replacing the brembos on my SS with the LT brakes, until I found some 18" wheels that clear the brembos.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Brake feel is relative. I think you're crazy. As for distances, how much more does the SS weigh?

For feel, fade resistance, pedal modulation, ease of maintenance and more consistent pad wear, I'd go with the Brembos every time.

You're so used to being a contrarian, you'll settle for crap to be different, Jimmeh.

if you say so

In comparing the Camaro LT to the Camaro SS, I thought the LT (floating calipers) had better brake feel than the SS (brembo fixed calipers). Most tests showed the LT had a shorter stopping distance too. Considering the single biggest advantage of the brembos is fade resistance, and the fact that the Camaro is not a great track car, I have to wonder why they made brembos standard. I honestly would rather have the regular brakes, as they are quieter, cheaper, and allow a wider selection of wheels to fit. I was very close to replacing the brembos on my SS with the LT brakes, until I found some 18" wheels that clear the brembos.
    I've found for inital bight, floating calipers are slightly better. For overall modulation and a linear feel down to full power braking however, alloy calipers are far superior. In my experience.

Really though Jimmy? :P don't give me this crap you were going to ditch the brembos for some malibu calipers..

As for distances, how much more does the SS weigh?
    for the Manual, it's between 80-100lbs difference between a manual SS and a Manual LT/LS

for the Auto, it's about 150lbs.

And the SS's have more than 1.5'' on the front and 2'' on the rear than the LS/LT's, so they have more than adequate brake clamping force increase to account for less than half a person's increase in weight.

IMO, I would bet it's the master cylinder that that carried over from the LS/LT.

I was only considering it. And only briefly. And the only reason was because I wanted 18" wheels. There are only a few aftermarket 18" wheels that will clear the brembos. Thankfully there is a rep from Tire Rack who is active on Camaro5, and did the leg work for us, finding out which wheels will fit. Of course, I had to cut off the front caliper weights, which makes the brakes VERY noisy when it's above 80º or so. But that's another story.

Besides, for street duty, the brembos are overkill. I doubt I will ever do a track day. I don't have the time for it. But they look sweet, fill up the wheels nicely, and I didn't want to give them up

----------

Oh, and the LT and SS have different master cylinders. I checked. Not sure what is different though. Lots of guys with LTs have upgraded to the brembos without any issues.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.