brembo and tremec - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, brembo and tremec in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; GM has done a great job on non name brand brakes. I know my '10 SRX sure can stop on ...
    TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Re: brembo and tremec

GM has done a great job on non name brand brakes. I know my '10 SRX sure can stop on a dime for its size and weight.
    When you turn your car on, does it return the favour? '14 Cadillac ATS Performance 3.6L AWD in Phantom Grey Metallic and Morello Red Interior

**Cadillac Owners Forum RULES & Guidelines**

*Cadillac CANADA Online Manuals***Cadillac USA Online Manuals & Guides*

ral1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd

No one mentioned the new coating on the ATS and XTS brake rotors. It's supposed to prevent the brake pulsing that's driven me crazy with my last two cars, saving us money on resurfacing and rotor replacement--allegedly.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by ral1960 View Post
    No one mentioned the new coating on the ATS and XTS brake rotors. It's supposed to prevent the brake pulsing that's driven me crazy with my last two cars, saving us money on resurfacing and rotor replacement--allegedly.
    Coating? The only coating I'm aware of is a kind of Zinc Plating to prevent them from rusting and looking bad. GM's finnaly started to do this to all it's rotors.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

how can you put a coating on a brake rotor? it would wear off almost immediately. Unless you are talking about the hat. That would be nice. I usually paint mine silver.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    how can you put a coating on a brake rotor? it would wear off almost immediately. Unless you are talking about the hat. That would be nice. I usually paint mine silver.
    this is what he(and I) are talking about

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n.../1130_fnc.html

I just don't see how surface treating is going extend the life of the rotor. It's still going to wear over time, and the surface treatment will be long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I just don't see how surface treating is going extend the life of the rotor. It's still going to wear over time, and the surface treatment will be long gone.
    FNC isn't a coating, sorry, should have clarified. It's a chemical process that actually results in a hardened material. This material also resists corrosion for much longer, similar to Zinc coating.

It's still just surface hardening. I am in the heat treating industry, and carburizing is very common place. It surface hardens steel by impregnating the very surface with carbon. But it doesn't go very deep, and on something like a brake rotor, which gets worn down, I don't see the point. Other than keeping the rotors shinier a little bit longer, and wearing out the brake pads faster until that harder rotor surface breaks down.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    You said impregnate.
    EnvoyBu and EnvoyBu like this.

Actually I said impregnating. I am very good at it too.

for the record, I am totally onboard with brembos. I love having brembos. changing pads is cake. I just hope they do both front and back. I realize rear brembos are not as important as front, but why do fronts without backs when it is such a slap-in-the-face cost cutter?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i wonder if this new FNC process for rotors makes the correct bedding of pads less of an issue and so the pads wear down instead of the pads eating into the rotor
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

I never understood the whole bedding thing. I understand and accept its merits, but where, and how, am I supposed to take a brand new car and do 6-10 consecutive panic stops without bringing the car to a full stop? That's a little hard to do safely in Chicagoland.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

yeah i never understood how anyone could be expected to perform the bedding procedure but i do understand the concept behind why and how it works

when you bed the pads you've transferred (evenly) pad material onto the rotor and so when you brake the pad is contacting pad

1) this causes the pads to wear down a lot less quickly
    and
    2) the pad wears down and the rotor doesn't

well at least that's my take on it
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

ecyrb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none yet (e46 zhp current)

Quote Originally Posted by 0AT E03 View Post
    It's not really cost, but rather sizing. It's not needed, so they don't do it. Brembo doesn't make single piston calipers to my knowledge. The backs are almost certainly single piston.
    my old bmw 135i had brembo rear brakes, along with the brembo 4-pot fronts. they do exist. manufacturers don't fit them, because of the lack of need, as you posted.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.