2013 Cadillac ATS Gets Magnetic Ride Control Suspension
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 2013 Cadillac ATS Gets Magnetic Ride Control Suspension in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Cadillac has confirmed that the ATS will utilize the second generation Cadillac Magnetic Ride Control suspension....
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Lightbulb 2013 Cadillac ATS Gets Magnetic Ride Control Suspension

Cadillac has confirmed that the ATS will utilize the second generation Cadillac Magnetic Ride Control suspension.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 2013 Cadillac ATS Gets Magnetic Ride Control Suspension

It's nice shiz. Only on the uplevel cars though (with the FE3 Sport suspension).

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Yes, that's what I was expecting... I guess one day all Cadillacs will have this.

Quote Originally Posted by 0AT E03 View Post
    It's nice shiz. Only on the uplevel cars though (with the FE3 Sport suspension).
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I bet years from now, ALL cars will have it.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Most likely.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

I can't see the entire industry bowing down to BWI and their license fees. Clearly it will migrate through expensive cars, here's the problem though;

It's a decade old by now, even by S-class trickle-down rules it should be in more cars now if it was going to happen(like adaptive cruise control, lane departure and rainsense wipers), the MRI fluid hasen't gotten cheaper, that's it's problem. It also presents some other issues like thickening after prolonged use, and if the average person has to chunk out $1.5-2G's for new shocks even every 100K, it's not going to catch on.

Where I see it being used, is in other industries, like prostetics, for structural shocks to earthquake-proof buildings and maybe in other parts of the car--- porsche is using them in engine mounts.

BWI has the best system but they are not the only maker of what GM calls SADS (Semi-Active Dampening Suspension). ZF Sachs makes the system used on the Regal, Insignia, and Astra.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    Cadillac has confirmed that the ATS will utilize the second generation Cadillac Magnetic Ride Control suspension.
    Why would the ATS get 2nd gen Magneride when the CTS-V uses 3rd gen? Are they really using older tech in the ATS, or should you have said 3rd gen?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I can't see the entire industry bowing down to BWI and their license fees. Clearly it will migrate through expensive cars, here's the problem though;

It's a decade old by now, even by S-class trickle-down rules it should be in more cars now if it was going to happen(like adaptive cruise control, lane departure and rainsense wipers), the MRI fluid hasen't gotten cheaper, that's it's problem. It also presents some other issues like thickening after prolonged use, and if the average person has to chunk out $1.5-2G's for new shocks even every 100K, it's not going to catch on.

Where I see it being used, is in other industries, like prostetics, for structural shocks to earthquake-proof buildings and maybe in other parts of the car--- porsche is using them in engine mounts.
    I could be wrong, but Magneride wsnt a new technology, only new to the automotive industry. Hasnt the military and aerospace industry been using this tech for a few years?

----------

BWI has the best system but they are not the only maker of what GM calls SADS (Semi-Active Dampening Suspension). ZF Sachs makes the system used on the Regal, Insignia, and Astra.
    SRX uses the same brand as well, right? Im not familiar with how the ZF setup works, but Infiniti used to have an active setup too...I thought it was hydraulic. Q45, IIRC.

Why would the ATS get 2nd gen Magneride when the CTS-V uses 3rd gen? Are they really using older tech in the ATS, or should you have said 3rd gen?
    I would assume it's something is better than nothing in this case. 2nd gen magneride being better than plain old shocks. the ATS-V and sport ATS models getting 3rd gen MR, ect.

Replacement MR shocks are fairly cheap for the V. Don't think it's cost-prohibitive for the ATS...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Replacement MR shocks are fairly cheap for the V. Don't think it's cost-prohibitive for the ATS...
    $3-400/shock is cheap?

$3-400/shock is cheap?
    Performance Shocks typically run $200-$300 a pop. I bought a set of 2 shocks and 2 struts for my GTO for around a grand and that was cheap for performance shocks. So the MR shocks being $1200-$1600 for a set isn't that crazy.

$3-400/shock is cheap?
    Performance Shocks typically run $200-$300 a pop. I bought a set of 2 shocks and 2 struts for my GTO for around a grand and that was cheap for performance shocks. So the MR shocks being $1200-$1600 for a set isn't that crazy.
    Yep, and I think Luke once quoted me mid-high $2hundreds...

----------

The V1's FG2 options were usually around $1500. QA1s are at least $1G. Nevermind if you go with custom adjustables, which are what the MRs are, in a way...

You mis-understood, I'm questioning that they're cheap by overall shock standards. It's true that the germans offer adjustable suspensions on almost all their vehicles, but they make it an optional extra, what you're suggesting is that they make it standard, which will have a negative effect on the MSRP of the car.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

The last time I replaced struts was on my Maxima. That was almost $1k. So $1500 does not seem that bad.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.