Cadillac ATS Powertrain Confirmation
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS Powertrain Confirmation in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/14/2...der/#continued Jury is still out on the 2.5... ---------- Here's the release: New 2.0L Turbo Engine Boosts the Cadillac ATS ...
    bruff1977 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Cadillac ATS Powertrain Confirmation

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/14/2...der/#continued

Jury is still out on the 2.5...

----------

Here's the release:

New 2.0L Turbo Engine Boosts the Cadillac ATS

• 135 horsepower per liter among top-performing engines in the world
    • Compact ATS debuts at North American International Auto Show in Detroit

DETROIT – A new high-performance 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder engine will debut in the all-new 2013 Cadillac ATS compact luxury sedan, which will be revealed at the 2012 North American International Auto Show in January.

The Cadillac-tuned, direct-injected engine will produce an estimated 270 horsepower (201 kW). At 135 horsepower per liter, it will be one of the most power-dense automotive engines, besting the highest-performing engines from luxury competitors such as Audi, BMW and Mercedes.

"This engine is the perfect match for the new ATS, which will be a refined performance luxury sedan," said Don Butler, Cadillac vice president of Global Marketing. "The 2.0T has an exceptionally smooth and responsive power curve that will make the ATS nimble, quick and fun to drive."

The new 2.0T highlights a broad engine lineup that will power the ATS which is slated to begin production next summer. Cadillac will also offer a normally aspirated 2.5L four cylinder engine and a 3.6L V-6 engine in the ATS.

The 2.0T builds on the advanced-technology heritage of previous GM turbo engines with features that enhance efficiency, durability and refinement.

Among the 2.0T engine's highlights: a direct-injection twin-cam, four-valve-per-cylinder engine with continuously variable valve timing; twin-scroll turbocharger with air-to-air intercooler; forged-steel crankshaft with modular balance shaft system; and a two-stage variable-displacement oil pump with jet-spray piston cooling.

Overall engine friction is reduced by up to 16 percent. The low-friction design means engine power is delivered more efficiently.

Proprietary computational fluid dynamics analysis techniques were used to develop an all-new combustion system with a higher compression ratio, which also helped boost efficiency.

"The 2.0T is one of the most advanced and efficient engines of its kind, and contributes to the ATS's exceptional balance of performance and great fuel efficiency," said Mike Anderson, chief engineer for the 2.0T engine.

The 2.0T has a wide torque curve, delivering 90 percent of its peak 260 lb-ft. of torque (353 Nm) from 1,500 rpm to 5,800 rpm – giving the ATS the feeling of immediate power, whether from launch at a stop light or during higher-speed maneuvers, such as passing.

The turbocharger generates up to 20 pounds of boost and its twin-scroll design helps optimize power availability, virtually eliminating turbo lag and helping deliver a broad power band.

"It has the exhilarating, responsive power available when you want it, yet can provide the fuel efficiency that will make the ATS a fully competitive vehicle in global markets," Anderson said.
    At 135 hp/L, the ATS 2.0T four-cylinder turbo engine has the highest power density among key competitors, including:

• Audi A4's 2.0L turbo (105.5 hp/L)
    • BMW M3's V-8 (103.5 hp/L)
    • Lexus IS F's V-8 (83.2 hp/L)
    • Mercedes-Benz C250's 1.8L turbo (111.6 hp/L)

Additional details on the ATS will be announced at the 2012 NAIAS. The ATS will be built at the Lansing Grand River plant alongside the Cadillac CTS Sedan, Coupe and Sport Wagon and V-Series performance cars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

re: Cadillac ATS Powertrain Confirmation

The new 2.0T highlights a broad engine lineup that will power the ATS which is slated to begin production next summer. Cadillac will also offer a normally aspirated 2.5L four cylinder engine and a 3.6L V-6 engine in the ATS.
    2.5L is coming, it's the same as the Malibu. But you can guess it will only go in the Sedan and not the Coupe.

I wouldn't expect AWD on the 4's or Manual Transmissions on the 6's. So obviously that would mean AWD is Automatic only.

BTW this is GM's new 2.0T Engine, RPO LTG. Expect it to proliferate. Malibu, Verano, and others are more than likely getting this.

The torque number is a bit underwhelming and I expected at least as much as the GS. The GS achieves its peak torque around 2400 rpm, so I guess the tradeoff is ninety percent of the peak in the ATS 2.0T at a lower rpm. That factored into the claim of 'low mass' should make this a fun car to drive.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by 0AT E03 View Post
    2.5L is coming, it's the same as the Malibu. But you can guess it will only go in the Sedan and not the Coupe. ...
    That would explain why there's more than one four banger.

If the 3.6 comes in 300+ hp form (why wouldn't it?), that will make for one snappy car.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

I'm guessing the 2.5 is a marvel of an engine, from an efficiency point of view. But Cadillac's marketing plan for this vehicle is to appeal to a buyer who wants luxury performance. I don't think the 2.5 appeals to that type of buyer (or any purchaser of a current Caddy). To keep brand image high for this new vehicle, I say scrap the 2.5 and offer just the 2.0T and the V6. Cadillac would be placing the crosshairs squarely on BMW by doing so. I understand there is a lot riding on this car and it needs to move big numbers... But for the sake of brand image??

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

2.5 sounds like a loss-leader to me (or whatever they call that)

an MT 3.6 would be awesome, but looks like it won't happen. Still, that 2.0T looks mighty appealing. I will reserve judgement for the V though

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    That would explain why there's more than one four banger.

If the 3.6 comes in 300+ hp form (why wouldn't it?), that will make for one snappy car.
    3.6L should be at least 310 HP, but I'd expect 320 HP. The 2.5L replaces GM's 2.4L so I'd expect it to be around 190 HP-200 HP. The 2.0T is the sweet spot in regards to weight and performance. The fastest ATS will be a MT 2.0T FE3 car. I've driven that combo on the ride and handling loop @ MPG and it has some punch.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

how does the 2.0T sound?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    how does the 2.0T sound?
    From the cabin you can't hear much, what you do, sounds good. This was with the radio off too (mostly because in that car the radio software was still FUBAR). I'd imagine with the radio on you'd hear very little.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

3.6L should be at least 310 HP, but I'd expect 320 HP. The 2.5L replaces GM's 2.4L so I'd expect it to be around 190 HP-200 HP. The 2.0T is the sweet spot in regards to weight and performance. The fastest ATS will be a MT 2.0T FE3 car. I've driven that combo on the ride and handling loop @ MPG and it has some punch.
    YEa, I dont doubt. Depending on how the software can be handled, Id expext some tuned ATS 2.0L T's to be faster then the V by the time it comes out.

... The fastest ATS will be a MT 2.0T FE3 car. ...
    Faster than an AT 3.6? I'd like to see that.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

lexterminator is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Looking forward to see the car and try it. I have an 09 CTS 3.6 (non-DI FE1) and looking for something lighter, shorter. Anxious to see the weight of ATS also.

I'm not a fan or turbo engines and initially had in mind the ATS 3.6 but will actually consider the 2.5 liter if its available for the Canadian market. The 2.5 would be on my list only if FE2 and stuff such as folding rear seats, leather seats, xeon lights, etc would be available for that engine. If such pacakge is available with the 2.5 liter then I'll for sure book a test drive to see if I feel its sufficient for my taste or not. More looking for handling, cornering and braking over 0-60 times. If not I will go for the 3.6... if I prefer the car over the CTS, which should be the case.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

software update to 28PSI and net 300+ hp with the reduced weight and better distribution of the 4-banger? It's completly resonable.

YEa, I dont doubt. Depending on how the software can be handled, Id expext some tuned ATS 2.0L T's to be faster then the V by the time it comes out.
    I wouldn't go that far.. I certinally expect tuners to be able to extra 50HP or so from the 2.0T with a tune within the first year. Past that depending on whether the exhaust manifold and turbo are single case pieces or if it acutally has a built-in manifold to the cylinder head like the current 3.6 Does, I would say it will be another couple of years before BT and stronger internals arrive. but if the V is getting a TT 3.6 with 400+ or so, then I would expect the same for the V to happen relatively shortly.

Transmission gearing and weight will outdo the 40 or so extra HP the 3.6 gets over the 2.0T

The whole DI/turbo/VVT thing is doing wonders for these motors allowing mega psi boost.

Now, all they need is some way to simulate V8 rumble.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.