Cadillac ATS Powertrain Confirmation - Page 5
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS Powertrain Confirmation in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; GM had their own power upgrade for the Ecotec turbos that gave crazy bumps in power for a few hundred ...
    thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    GM had their own power upgrade for the Ecotec turbos that gave crazy bumps in power for a few hundred bucks and you kept your warranty.

Why not do it again?

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Re: Cadillac ATS Powertrain Confirmation

agreed. How many 'stage' upgrades did GM offer for the cobolt?

Seemed like a lot. Although, we're talking about a boy racer compared to a compact executive sedan..

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    Good question, complicated answer. All I would say is, 'not as fast as it happened for the BMW/Audi guys'
    Cadillac doesn't have established aftermarket brands like they do, but also if anything, those same brands are not manufacture loyal. We could very well see APR or Giac tuned ATS's shortly after their introduction demolishing Tuned 328i's.
    The BMW tuners are going to hit the ground running with their turbo 2.0 liter. And what makes you think tunes Cadillac ATSs will demolish tuned 328is? They've both got the same power to start with. It would be nice, though...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    GM had their own power upgrade for the Ecotec turbos that gave crazy bumps in power for a few hundred bucks and you kept your warranty.

Why not do it again?
    Yes, THAT would be GREAT. REALLY great. But for some reason I'd be very surprised if they do it for Cadillac.

agreed. How many 'stage' upgrades did GM offer for the cobolt?

Seemed like a lot. Although, we're talking about a boy racer compared to a compact executive sedan..
    I believe they had three stages. I do hope they have a similar program for Cadillacs...
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i remember three stages for the 2.0L SC ecotech that was in the cobalt and the ion ...
    i don't remember exactly what each stage entailed but there was a pulley/belt and there were injectors and a new tune also

i only remember one power upgrade kit for the 2.0L TC in the sky, solstice, cobalt and hhr
    it was an ecm tune plus two map sensors
    it added about 30hp and 80 lb-ft
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    Nope. It's all even.

And you can bet on BMW owners having a $100 or $200 plug 'n play chip that takes ten minutes to install for over 50 more horsepower and torque in a few months.

Apples/Oranges.

Yes, there are alot of 3-series owners who will tune. The fact is that the vast majority of 3-series and ATS owners will NEVER modify their car. So the only fair comparison is stock to stock.

Perhaps that $200, manufacturer-warrantied chip is why the rest of the BMW owners out there are paying a 20% premium over Cadillac and Infiniti. Someone has to pay the repair costs when that extra 50 hp strains something in the drivetrain into letting go.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    the only fair comparison is stock to stock.
    Right. Both cars have the same horsepower. That video is a stock 328i.

Perhaps that $200, manufacturer-warrantied chip is why the rest of the BMW owners out there are paying a 20% premium over Cadillac and Infiniti. Someone has to pay the repair costs when that extra 50 hp strains something in the drivetrain into letting go.
    Could be... But the only chip upgrade warrantied for BMW is Dinan - and it's expensive. The $200 chips are from various tuners. Some are more expensive than others.
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

Quote fail, my Lord. But don't worry, I fixed it for ya

And unless I missed something, the 328i is 240hp. The ATS turbo will be 270hp. That's a significant difference on two cars that will weight about the same.

Quote fail, my Lord. But don't worry, I fixed it for ya

And unless I missed something, the 328i is 240hp. The ATS turbo will be 270hp. That's a significant difference on two cars that will weight about the same.
    Thank you! What I was saying is that the 328i is underrated by about 30 horsepower. BMW does this often. If the ATS is not underrated, they're going to be about the same.

Thank you! What I was saying is that the 328i is underrated by about 30 horsepower. BMW does this often. If the ATS is not underrated, they're going to be about the same.
    Unlikely that's going to happen as we know. The shear marketing value will attract new customers however.

Gotchya. I'd still rather have the ATS.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Does BMW have a TT 3.0/3.6L V6 in the works for it's mass produced vehicles? Does it have a 1.4T? GM also has the 220HP Buick Turbo 2.0L, and the GS 2.0T that makes more torque than both the BMW and ATS's 2.0T. I'm just not seeing the argument that BMW is leaving GM in the dust because they don't have a 300HP F/I 4 cylinder, if you want to play that game though, the 4.4T only makes 400HP in BMW land, the 3.6TT is supposed to make 450-470..
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...gets-v8-6.html

Well, a 1.3 and 1.6 Turbo. ANd yes, a 350hp and 450hp 6cil TT.
    And yes, the 2.0L will be flexible in configuration from 175 to 300hp...

Quote Originally Posted by 70eldo View Post
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...gets-v8-6.html

Well, a 1.3 and 1.6 Turbo. ANd yes, a 350hp and 450hp 6cil TT.
    And yes, the 2.0L will be flexible in configuration from 175 to 300hp...
    Sorry.. to clarify; as far as power trains in the united states are concerned.

Quoting every power train BMW is currently producing is irrelevant. At that point we might as well start throwing in all the F/I stuff Opel and every other brand of GM is producing.

I don't mean to sound like an Ass, but I don't think I'll decide to live outside of the US within the next 5 years, Cadillac's main market is the US, and clearly BMW has never totally globalized their entire powertrain selection, so I really don't see why it matters if these things exist outside of N/A. Will they ship it over here? Nope. Would that lessen my previous points if these fairy-tale power trains exist in other parts of the world except the one that matters? I don't think so.
    rand49er and rand49er like this.

So it seems like the ATS 2.0T will do 0-60 in about 5.6 seconds or so. As long as it's keeping up with the 328i I'm happy for Cadillac. The 335i is still somehow doing 0-60 in 4.8 seconds (I don't see how that's possible with the N55 but it's happening) so I don't quite think the 3.6 ATS is going to keep up - but I think it'll be very close. At least competitive. Which is good.

So it seems like the ATS 2.0T will do 0-60 in about 5.6 seconds or so. As long as it's keeping up with the 328i I'm happy for Cadillac. The 335i is still somehow doing 0-60 in 4.8 seconds (I don't see how that's possible with the N55 but it's happening) so I don't quite think the 3.6 ATS is going to keep up - but I think it'll be very close. At least competitive. Which is good.
    what are they putting out? Like 300whp? Seems plausible to me. Have you seen the remapped 3.0T's in the S4's? They put out 400AWHP with a tune and supporting mods these days. FYI I put down 419whp on a hot day.

Now if they could only make it slightly less expensive than $1550..

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Sorry.. to clarify; as far as power trains in the united states are concerned.

Quoting every power train BMW is currently producing is irrelevant. At that point we might as well start throwing in all the F/I stuff Opel and every other brand of GM is producing.

I don't mean to sound like an Ass, but I don't think I'll decide to live outside of the US within the next 5 years, Cadillac's main market is the US, and clearly BMW has never totally globalized their entire powertrain selection, so I really don't see why it matters if these things exist outside of N/A. Will they ship it over here? Nope. Would that lessen my previous points if these fairy-tale power trains exist in other parts of the world except the one that matters? I don't think so.
    So, you think BMW will keep the 3.0 for US 335i? They never had different engines for the same type before. I don't want to sound like an expert on BMW, but you just don't make sense to me. Yes, BMW will not ship all engines to the US, but I cannot imagine the 335i in Europe will have a different engine from the US 335i.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.