Cadillac ATS Powertrain Confirmation - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Cadillac ATS Powertrain Confirmation in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by rand49er The whole DI/turbo/VVT thing is doing wonders for these motors allowing mega psi boost. Now, all ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

re: Cadillac ATS Powertrain Confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    The whole DI/turbo/VVT thing is doing wonders for these motors allowing mega psi boost.

Now, all they need is some way to simulate V8 rumble.
    Well, the new M5 plays engine sounds through the stereo, so...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by bruff1977 View Post
    I'm guessing the 2.5 is a marvel of an engine, from an efficiency point of view. But Cadillac's marketing plan for this vehicle is to appeal to a buyer who wants luxury performance. I don't think the 2.5 appeals to that type of buyer (or any purchaser of a current Caddy). To keep brand image high for this new vehicle, I say scrap the 2.5 and offer just the 2.0T and the V6. Cadillac would be placing the crosshairs squarely on BMW by doing so. I understand there is a lot riding on this car and it needs to move big numbers... But for the sake of brand image??
    Again, enough of the brand image. Lexus and Mercedes get away with low output engine options and it's done nothing to tarnish BMW's image making cars like the 318ti and 528e. It's a new world and MPG CAFE regs have a big impact.

IMO, offer as much as you can and let the consumer decide. Why shut out those wannabe buyers who can only afford a base, base model? Or maybe those who just want a nice ride and don't care about power?
    M5eater and M5eater like this.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Again, enough of the brand image. Lexus and Mercedes get away with low output engine options and it's done nothing to tarnish BMW's image making cars like the 318ti and 528e. It's a new world and MPG CAFE regs have a big impact.

IMO, offer as much as you can and let the consumer decide. Why shut out those wannabe buyers who can only afford a base, base model? Or maybe those who just want a nice ride and don't care about power?
    exactly. We don't even see the REALLY low-powered cars that they get over in Europe. Brand new 4100lb+ C7 A6's start with a 2.8L 200HP V6, the C6's before that came with 132hp Diesels and a 168HP detuned TFSI 2.0L
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Oh no, but, but, but, TEH BRAND IMAGE!!!

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

The problem with lots of different engines is most buyers take a car off the lot. They don't order. How are the dealers supposed to know what engines are going to sell?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    The problem with lots of different engines is most buyers take a car off the lot. They don't order. How are the dealers supposed to know what engines are going to sell?
    I don't really see that being a problem. A lot of Cadillac's dealership network involves small branches that are not stand-alone centers who order most of their inventory anyway.

Besides, as Jim mentioned, BMW has 3 engines, so does Mercedes, Lexus has two whole different Cars for the same segment. Audi is the only one with a single powertrain(two if you want to count S models), and that's because they half-ass everything for the N/A market anyway. Jaguar has 3 different versions of the same damn engine! Tell me how you think that one goes..

" well, this one has a 5.0L V8 engine, this one has a 5.0L V8 engine, and THIS one has a WHOMPING 5.0L V8 engine.. and there's $30K difference between the one with the 5.0L V8 engine and the one with the 5.0L V8 engine.."

to go back to my statement about europe, these cars typically have 20 or so powertrain combinations. The E60 alone has had 7 different engines in it, in RWD and XDrive configurations.

In europe, they pay alot more for cars though relative to here, don't they? If so, it's easier for them to absorb setup costs.

I would love to see cars like the ATS offering 10 different powertrain options. In today's web-based world, it's easy to look up dealer inventories for the exact car you want. I don't think the dealers like it though.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    In europe, they pay alot more for cars though relative to here, don't they? If so, it's easier for them to absorb setup costs.

I would love to see cars like the ATS offering 10 different powertrain options. In today's web-based world, it's easy to look up dealer inventories for the exact car you want. I don't think the dealers like it though.
    They absolutely hate it acutally. When VW first came out with the new beetle they orginally were going to offer 48 different colors. The 10 or so that became avaliable at launch was cut down directly via dealer influence. The point is though, 3 isn't horrible. low-end models stay RWD, and you make AWD require second or third tier engines, so in reality you're talking about 5 combinations. If you cut the number of feature combinations down currently from 4 to say, 3 it'll even out.

I hear ya. I figured the europeans would be okay with it. After all, they buy comparable $30k subcompacts over there. That would never fly over here. Another one of things about the car rags that irritates me. They keep blasting GM and Ford for keeping their best small cars overseas. Then in the next article they criticize them for charging too much for a subcompact.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by M5eater

software update to 28PSI and net 300+ hp with the reduced weight and better distribution of the 4-banger? It's completly resonable.

I wouldn't go that far.. I certinally expect tuners to be able to extra 50HP or so from the 2.0T with a tune within the first year. Past that depending on whether the exhaust manifold and turbo are single case pieces or if it acutally has a built-in manifold to the cylinder head like the current 3.6 Does, I would say it will be another couple of years before BT and stronger internals arrive. but if the V is getting a TT 3.6 with 400+ or so, then I would expect the same for the V to happen relatively shortly.
    There is no twin turbo 3.6. It's a new 3.0.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
    Oh no, but, but, but, TEH BRAND IMAGE!!!
    The only problem is brand image is a non-issue for Mercedes-Benz and BMW. Cadillac is still working on theirs. I do like options but I'd feel better about really slow Cadillacs if those really weak MBs and BMWs were here.
    concorso and concorso like this.
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

There is no twin turbo 3.6. It's a new 3.0.
    right. thanks, got my numbers mixed up

The only problem is brand image is a non-issue for Mercedes-Benz and BMW. Cadillac is still working on theirs. I do like options but I'd feel better about really slow Cadillacs if those really weak MBs and BMWs were here.
    the 328i only has 230hp, the reverse side of that argument is if the 2.0L N/A in the ATS can crack the 30mpg mark they'll have a huge selling point. Also note that the SRX and DTS did just fine with powertrains that are less powerful and less refined than their competitors, the SRX is Cadillac's best selling vehicle and it started out with the D/I 3.0L and it made great strides against the Lexus RX.

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2.5L with an Auto
    2.0T with a Manual or an Auto
    3.6L with an Auto with or without AWD

So you have 5 powertrain options.

Re: Cadillac ATS Powertrain Confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    right. thanks, got my numbers mixed up

the 328i only has 230hp, the reverse side of that argument is if the 2.0L N/A in the ATS can crack the 30mpg mark they'll have a huge selling point. Also note that the SRX and DTS did just fine with powertrains that are less powerful and less refined than their competitors, the SRX is Cadillac's best selling vehicle and it started out with the D/I 3.0L and it made great strides against the Lexus RX.
    The 2012 328i starts with 240hp - 10 more is no big deal but - that's what I'm reading... Yes, if the ATS does get 30mph or more, that would be a great selling point. A good exchange for power, in my opinion. As long as the more powerful options exist...

The DTS is a classy looking car. That's what it had over it's "competitors" if you can call them that. Same with the second generation SRX. It's a great looking vehicle.
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

The DTS is a classy looking car. That's what it had over it's "competitors" if you can call them that. Same with the second generation SRX. It's a great looking vehicle.
    you expect the ATS to look fugly compared to a C Class or the refreshed 3 series?

The 2012 328i starts with 240hp - 10 more is no big deal but - that's what I'm reading.
    I was quoting the current 2011 Model, sorry. If you want to be picky though.. the N/A ATS 2.0L comes in a 190HP, but the turbo is putting out 270-- 30 ponies more than BMW's turbo 4, and it'll do it with an identical peak torque down at a low 1500rpms. Presumably just like the CTS the Caddy will be priced agressively compared to the 3 series, so I wouldn't doubt for a second you'll be able to pickup a 2.0T ATS for less than a base 328i. If they didn't change a single thing about the D/I 3.6 it makes enough growl to mostly keep up with the N54 too. It certinally doesn't have the aftermarket appeal and it is down on power by a decent amount, but it's still a 320HP V6.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    you expect the ATS to look fugly compared to a C Class or the refreshed 3 series?
    No, I think it's going to look "good" - but it could possibly look dated if they don't differentiate it enough from the second generation CTS - which has been around since 2007.

I was quoting the current 2011 Model, sorry. If you want to be picky though.. the N/A ATS 2.0L comes in a 190HP, but the turbo is putting out 270-- 30 ponies more than BMW's turbo 4, and it'll do it with an identical peak torque down at a low 1500rpms. Presumably just like the CTS the Caddy will be priced agressively compared to the 3 series, so I wouldn't doubt for a second you'll be able to pickup a 2.0T ATS for less than a base 328i. If they didn't change a single thing about the D/I 3.6 it makes enough growl to be mostly competitive with the N54 too.
    If we're comparing the base 3-Series to the base ATS in the U.S. don't we need to compare the 240hp BMW with the 190hp ATS? And I realize that not everything is about performance but if the 3.6 liter version of the ATS weighs as much as we think it's going to - which is very close to the CTS, I don't see how it'll be competitive with the 335i. On paper, yes. But that's really all..

If we're comparing the base 3-Series to the base ATS in the U.S. don't we need to compare the 240hp BMW with the 190hp ATS? And I realize that not everything is about performance but if the 3.6 liter version of the ATS weighs as much as we think it's going to - which is very close to the CTS, I don't see how it'll be competitive with the 335i. On paper, yes. But that's really all..
    If you're comparing that way, yes. you would. If you're comparing it by price--, it makes more sense. if a Base ATS 4 cylinder starts off at 30K(or better- just under 30K), that's Base TSX territory, which has a--- 201HP 4 cylinder(which you need to rev the balls off of ) doesn't have RWD or any nice nurburgring tuning to advertise. Make the 2.0T a cheap 2K option and you'll have a car with more power than the BMW for less.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.