Base Cadillac ATS Gets 2.0 Liter Turbo Four Cylinder With 280 Horsepower [INCORRECT]
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Base Cadillac ATS Gets 2.0 Liter Turbo Four Cylinder With 280 Horsepower [INCORRECT] in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; edit: Correction - The Cadillac ATS gets a naturally aspirated 2.5 liter four cylinder as described here . So... Considering ...
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Base Cadillac ATS Gets 2.0 Liter Turbo Four Cylinder With 280 Horsepower [INCORRECT]

edit: Correction - The Cadillac ATS gets a naturally aspirated 2.5 liter four cylinder as described here.

So... Considering this to be the case - what's the advantage of the naturally aspirated 3.6 liter direct injected V6? Will the extra few ponies be noticeable? Maybe the V6 will have more features available so it can be priced higher. I guess it'll be quieter. And more reliable for the long term. In any event, the BMW 328i base has a 2.0L/240-hp/255-lb-ft turbocharged DOHC 16-valve I-4 hitting 60 miles per hour in 5.9 seconds. Unless the ATS is going to be a lot heavier, I think it'll be noticeably faster - especially with at least 295 lb-ft of torque. I just don't see the base ATS doing 0-60 in the mid 5s. So what's going to happen?
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Base Cadillac ATS Gets 2.0 Liter Turbo Four Cylinder With 280 Horsepower

If I can ever wrap my head around owning a car with forced induction, I think this turbo4 ATS could be a great car. Especially if it can manage 30mpg highway.

I still can't believe it. a 280 hp 4 cylinder engine. I still remember when small block V8s were making less than 250 hp.

And why shouldn't the base ATS be hitting 60 in less than 6? If GM is serious about making Cadillac a legitimate sport-luxury brand, then it should. I am more anxious for 1/4 miles times, but with that kind of hp and torque, it should be close to breaking 14.

It all depends on what the car weighs. Some sources are saying this ATS weighs about the same as the CTS. The next CTS will be heavier so they shouldn't overlap each other. In any event, 280hp in a car as heavy as the current CTS isn't going to be fast. Hopefully the ATS is a few hundred pounds lighter than the second generation CTS.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

I would be happy with the weight of the first gen CTS. My 06 was around 3600 lbs. Which is reasonable for smallish mid-size sedan.

In a perfect world, I would love another 3000 lbs sedan like my 97 Maxima.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

This link shows 328i base at 3,527 lbs and 6.2 sec 0-60. http://www.leftlanenews.com/new-car-...-series-coupe/ The ATS will be lucky to be anything under 3,700 and more likely to be pushing 3,800 lbs. If it does anything close to 6.0 sec 0-60, I'd think that would be welcomed by many. If somehow they keep it down close to 3,600 lbs, high 5 sec should be possible.

However, the link also shows the base engine for the 328i to be the 3.0 I6 with 230 hp and 200 ft lbs of torque. Don't see the I4 with 240 hp and 255 ft lbs. Am I missing something?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

BMW says the new turbo four cylinder 328i will do 0-60 in 5.9 seconds. BMW doesn't usually underrate their vehicles as far as performance goes.

bruff1977 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

I really like the idea of the four cylinder (turbo or n/a) in the base, a twin turbo 3.0 v6 or n/a 3.6 v6 in the sport or platinum model, and of course a n/a v8 in the V.

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

One thing that you will get with the V6 compared to the Turbo 4 is smoothness and quietness. I've owned a Catera since '97 and a Saab 9-3 2.0T since 2004. The Saab 2.0T is faster, more torque, more fun. But one thing it is not - smooth, especially at idle. The Catera to this day is silky smooth. The V6 will appeal to the traditional Caddy buyer - smooth, quiet. I will get the Turbo ATS.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

No way the ATS is close to 4000 lbs. And 280hp on that motor is mild. There were GM backed perf packages getting well over 300/300 and keeping the warranty...

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

I bought a new SRX about a month ago for my wife. At nearly 4300 lbs, I must say the 3.6 is quite perky. Shave 6-700 lbs off, and a 3.6-equipped ATS should be fun ... especially with a man trans.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

I don't think GM is offering the manual trans with the 3.6 anymore. If they took it off the CTS, it probably won't make the ATS either. Following general automotive trends, manual will probably only be available with the base engine.

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I don't think GM is offering the manual trans with the 3.6 anymore. If they took it off the CTS, it probably won't make the ATS either. Following general automotive trends, manual will probably only be available with the base engine.
    Bingo.

No more V6 Manual cars at GM outside of the current Camaro.

speaking of which, it will be interesting to see what engine finds its way into the alpha Camaro LT.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Interesting the the Turbo-4 makes almost as much torquesss over a wider range then the V6. I bet the 2.0L Turbo will be the 1st ATS faster the 13.5.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.