Base Cadillac ATS Gets 2.0 Liter Turbo Four Cylinder With 280 Horsepower [INCORRECT] - Page 6
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Base Cadillac ATS Gets 2.0 Liter Turbo Four Cylinder With 280 Horsepower [INCORRECT] in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by JimmyH I still don't buy it. Then what you are saying is BMW did a piss-poor job ...
    70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Re: Base Cadillac ATS Gets 2.0 Liter Turbo Four Cylinder With 280 Horsepower [INCORRE

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I still don't buy it. Then what you are saying is BMW did a piss-poor job of gearing the 335d. I don't buy that either.
    I know shifting diesel is different from shifting petrol. Come on, BMW and Audi are winning Le Mans racing diesels (over petrol engined race cars) and VW is rallying TDIs for years now. I am not a diesel guru, but this is just true. Diesel is getting more and more sportive.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Base Cadillac ATS Gets 2.0 Liter Turbo Four Cylinder With 280 Horsepower [INCORRE

Perhaps. But none of that explains the performance difference RIGHT NOW between the 335i and 335d.

----------

Who knows, I may have to eat my words and start looking at diesels if all this talk about $5/gal gas in the next few months is for real.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Diesels are great ... I've always been a fan since college.

But, all things being equal, they're necessarily heavier, they're more expensive to produce, and there's that noise thing.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

As I said above, gimme a 2500, crewcab, dually, turbodiesel work truck, and I'd rock that thing up and down the coast

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

The e9x 335d is a pretty impressive car. The new turbo-four F30, however, is on par with fuel economy and quicker.

NHRATA01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 Regal GS, '01 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Perhaps. But none of that explains the performance difference RIGHT NOW between the 335i and 335d.

----------

Who knows, I may have to eat my words and start looking at diesels if all this talk about $5/gal gas in the next few months is for real.
    It's not THAT much of a disparity, the 335d per C/D ran 0-60 in 5.7 and a 14.2@100mph whereas the 335i ran the same in 4.9 and 13.5@104. The gasser has a 19/28 rating whereas the oil burner is 23/36. You're not giving up a ton of performance for almost econocar gas mileage. I've also heard BMW dealers are heavily (5-7K off MSRP) discounting 335d's. It'd be tough to pass one up were I not an incurable GM guy.
    M5eater and M5eater like this.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

It's really not all that awful. You're certinally still out-gunning accord's and Camry V6's with a sub 6 second 60s pegger, and you're doing it with better fuel economy than an accord 4 cylinder. The problem if anything is diesel is so expensive these days that it's not really that much cheaper to operate, so what's the point?

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    It's not THAT much of a disparity, the 335d per C/D ran 0-60 in 5.7 and a 14.2@100mph whereas the 335i ran the same in 4.9 and 13.5@104. The gasser has a 19/28 rating whereas the oil burner is 23/36. You're not giving up a ton of performance for almost econocar gas mileage. I've also heard BMW dealers are heavily (5-7K off MSRP) discounting 335d's. It'd be tough to pass one up were I not an incurable GM guy.
    BMW dealers have been discounting the 335D's for a long time.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    Those 335d numbers are the most optimistic I have seen. Even so, 0.7 seconds is a HUGE difference. As for the mileage difference, assuming $4 for premium, $4.25 for diesel, that would be $800 I would save yearly with the diesel. And I drive ALOT.

As for BMW heavily discounting the 335d, well imagine that.

Rather than speak poorly to the 335d, frankly I think the numbers speak highly to the abilities of the 335i. That car is basically as quick as an E46 M3. Quite a few say, from purely an acceleration standpoint, it is even superior to the high strung E90 M3 in all but the most serious of performance driving. It should not be expected for the 33d to run right with a 335i, but fact of the matter is it has better than average performance for the class, at lower fuel costs and a lower purchase cost for a similarly equipped 335i.

----------

Anyway we've kind of gotten off topic going into BMW world, I'm still trying to eat up any bit of info on the ATS I can find, about settled on buying one in the fall.

Here's an oddity I noticed - why is the torque rating of the 2.0T in the ATS down about 35 lb*ft from the motor in the Regal GS? (260 vs. 295) HP is the same, I can't imagine the tuning differences are far off. Doesn't really make sense to me, unless it's just a projected number to be adjusted.

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The LHU in the Regal and the LTG in the ATS have almost nothing in common.

Quote Originally Posted by 0AT E03 View Post
    I take it the LTG based off the "new" Ecotec design that is debuting in the N/A 2.5 replacing the older 2.4?

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by 0AT E03 View Post
    So do you think the Regal GS will be quicker than the ATS 2.0T?
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    So do you think the Regal GS will be quicker than the ATS 2.0T?
    Interesting thought. The Regal is about 200 lbs heavier, though.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

It better not be. The Regal GS has VERY disappointing performance. For that much power, it must be burdened with tremendous torque management.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.