Base Cadillac ATS Gets 2.0 Liter Turbo Four Cylinder With 280 Horsepower [INCORRECT] - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, Base Cadillac ATS Gets 2.0 Liter Turbo Four Cylinder With 280 Horsepower [INCORRECT] in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Again, will GM offer the same tuning packages as they did for the Cobalt SS, HHR SS, Sky Redline, and ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: Base Cadillac ATS Gets 2.0 Liter Turbo Four Cylinder With 280 Horsepower

Again, will GM offer the same tuning packages as they did for the Cobalt SS, HHR SS, Sky Redline, and the like? You'll have 3.6 shredding performance for a few hundred bucks and keep your warranty...

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
    Again, will GM offer the same tuning packages as they did for the Cobalt SS, HHR SS, Sky Redline, and the like? You'll have 3.6 shredding performance for a few hundred bucks and keep your warranty...
    There's plenty of potential as long as the drivetrain is built well enough. Either GM or aftermarket tuners will have upgrades available.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Drivetrain is the issue these days. More and more cars are being built with marginal drivetrains. Performance bargains like the Camaro and Mustang are two of the worst culprits. Camaro and Mustang guys adding headers and a tune are popping axles and driveshafts.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Drivetrain is the issue these days. More and more cars are being built with marginal drivetrains. ...
    Yeah, like the '04/'05 CTS-V.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

I don't think even the first gen V was that bad. We had a very marginal diff that was inherited from the V6 car. But the rest of it seemed ok.

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The GTO is the worst offender of poor drivetrain design. You do anything to the engine you will shred the entire rear end including bushings, springs, shocks, and the cradle.

Re: Base Cadillac ATS Gets 2.0 Liter Turbo Four Cylinder With 280 Horsepower [INCORRE

Yeah. After owning two different 5th gen Camaros, I am starting to wonder about Holden cars. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Alpha makes up for previous sins.

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Base Cadillac ATS Gets 2.0 Liter Turbo Four Cylinder With 280 Horsepower [INCORRE

After the disasters of the GTO, the VE, and the Camaro, the VF is the LAST platform Holden will be developing from the ground up. They will stick to making variants and localizing platforms for the home country. They lost the "Zeta III" platform to GMNA.

I wouldn't call the Camaro a disaster (probably because I am driving one) as it handles very well for its bulk. With a couple of tweaks it can handle like a dream. Pedders built one that corrected all the mistakes.

They should have done control arms up front instead of struts (really? struts? this is 2011) They should have used better bushings. They should have put in a real clutch. They shouldn't have used SUV size wheels. Despite those mistakes (or rather, because of them), it's a wonderful car for driving. It just doesn't do well on a track.

nguyennhatquang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS, 2004 Mercedes C200K, V Coupe, BMW 750li

the 2.0 of the ATS looks like the 2.0 of the SLS in china...

may be they test this engine in china before put it in usa.
    This engine is terrible..it doesn't smooth.
    Has any people in here run the mercedes E200 Kompressor or Bmw 520i...
    it weak performance ...event the number looks very nice. No low end torque. The car doesn't run smooth at all

I wouldn't call the Camaro a disaster (probably because I am driving one) as it handles very well for its bulk. With a couple of tweaks it can handle like a dream. Pedders built one that corrected all the mistakes.

They should have done control arms up front instead of struts (really? struts? this is 2011) They should have used better bushings. They should have put in a real clutch. They shouldn't have used SUV size wheels. Despite those mistakes (or rather, because of them), it's a wonderful car for driving. It just doesn't do well on a track.
    Plenty of today's wonderfully handling cars have front strut suspensions...

And I am quite happy for them. I would rather have A-arms.

And you don't even know what they do...

Umm, struts allow more camber deflection, ALOT more actually, than upper control arms. And that's exactly why cars with upper and lower control arms have better steering feedback and hold a line in turns better than cars with lower control arms/struts.

And it's why my 05 CTS-V had better feel in turns than my Camaro does. On the flip side of that, my Camaro isn't as twitchy as the V was because the Camaro's struts absorb more general deflection causing impacts. This causes less feedback introduced into the steering rack, but also introduces less movement, meaning the rack won't vibrate/twitch/bump as much, so there won't be as much bounding on bumpy surfaces at high speed (i.e. cruising on the highway)

All in all, my Camaro is a little more comfortable for long distance driving, but sacrifices some degree of control. In the case of the Camaro vs my 05 CTS-V, the differences are not alot either way, but they are noticeable enough that it gives something jabber about.

Everyone else can thank bigjim for this useless post.

----------

And I am quite happy for them. I would rather have A-arms.
    Ok, so right now anyway, I guess I would rather have struts, given all the highway driving I do, and how little opportunity I get to do any spirited driving.

You are crazy. The double wishbone V is a much more comfortable cruise than a Camaro. Even when I was running my V1 with T2 shocks and 650lb springs in a GC setup, it was firm but not uncomfortable...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.