[Deliberate Misinformation] The Cadillac ATS is probably going to weigh about... - Page 4
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, [Deliberate Misinformation] The Cadillac ATS is probably going to weigh about... in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by thebigjimsho That's impressive, if true. How can it weigh so little when the Regal is a relative ...
    Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
    That's impressive, if true. How can it weigh so little when the Regal is a relative porker?

That's why I've had a hard time with 3,400...
    Eliminating traditional assembly materials like molded plastic door panels, steel motor mounts and carefully selecting items like type of insulation, seat motors, batteries, etc.

Mazda has done something similar with the Miata since its inception, fussing over the weight of everything from the muffler to the shift knob (which went through over 100 variations to find the lightest one possible that still gave good shift feel)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac
    “Low weight gives the ATS a more nimble and controllable feel, while also optimizing the performance and efficiency of the powertrains,” said David Masch, ATS chief engineer. “But we were careful to manage the weight while maintaining Cadillac’s signature levels of refinement.”

Optimizing the ATS’s mass was the result of a four-pronged philosophy that included strict adherence to original architectural goals, measured load management throughout the vehicle, benchmarking components to see if lighter solutions were available and an overall culture that “weighed” the mass of every component in the car against all aspects of its development.

An aluminum hood, magnesium engine mount brackets and even lightweight, natural-fiber door trim panels contribute to the ATS’s low overall mass – and reflect the systematic approach of evaluating every gram that went into the car. But some weight was deemed not only beneficial, but essential to the ATS’s driving experience. An example is the cast iron differential: Engineers found they could improve fuel economy with a cast iron differential rather than a lighter aluminum version.

And while the rear suspension is mostly steel, the focus on load management and straight links enabled significant weight savings without using alternate materials. This helps offset the weight of the engine and transmission at the front of the vehicle, helping the ATS deliver its 50/50 weight balance, while also contributing to lower noise and vibration. A similar approach was taken on the wheels, where extra structural aluminum was strategically added to further reduce vibration.

“We approached development by counting all the grams in the ATS,” said Masch. “We minimized them where we could and put them to the best use where they were needed.”
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Re: The Cadillac ATS is probably going to weigh about...

natural fiber door panels? Interesting..

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

I need a four-pronged philosophy...

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

I'm pretty confident the ATS will be very competitive in it's class. I do think they've got the weight right where it needs to be.
    Please help us keep CadillacOwners.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

In loving memory of Angelo Anthony Quagliaralillo... Rest in peace..

Look who's late to the party...

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    What kind of party we talkinbout here?

lemon?

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    lemon?
    I'm out. Lemon's don't sit well with me.

MikeTerp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Re: [Deliberate Misinformation] The Cadillac ATS is probably going to weigh about...

Well, early returns and some car mag articles look good for the ATS. There are also some "analyses" out on the new 3 which have some bimmerphiles wringing their hands (plastic oil pan to save on weight, but what about heat, etc). I have been impressed that Cadillac did so well with the Alpha platform ATS coming in at 3400 lbs, even if this is some stripper model. Figure 3600 on most of those actually delivered and that is still not too bad. Looks like the ATS loses already to the 3 on interior room and trunk space, but we will have to see if that is much of a factor. My one significant dissapointment is that Caddy has opted to go to runflats for any model above the non-turbo 4. Go to any BMW message board and read all the wailing and moaning about runflats. On the new 3 the single biggest request for change was to get rid of the runflats (ride, noise, cost, handling, availability, etc, etc). Let's hope that Cadillac at least has them as a "delete" option. Can't wait for some actual car mag evaluations and some comparos with the 3, A4, etc.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: [Deliberate Misinformation] The Cadillac ATS is probably going to weigh about...

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    IIRC, the LS series engines weigh the same or less as the high feature V6s thanks to fewer internal parts (single camshaft, 16V vs 24V, no variable cam phasers, etc etc...
    Thats what I suspected. A TTV6 should weight awfully close to the LS V8's...

Quote Originally Posted by concorso
    Thats what I suspected. A TTV6 should weight awfully close to the LS V8's...
    I would say a TTV6 would be heavier...

Looking at the first gen CTS vs the V, the V was a couple hundred pounds heavier and had more front weight bias.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Looking at the first gen CTS vs the V, the V was a couple hundred pounds heavier and had more front weight bias.
    Flywheel.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

I know that was part of it, but I don't think even that was enough.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH
    Well, since an LS6 and T56 weigh about 450lbs, I think you need to look elsewhere for the additonal weight.

Again, a V6, with DOHC running gear AND 2 turbos hanging off of it, with the additional coolers and accessories, will be heavier than an LS engine...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.