[Deliberate Misinformation] The Cadillac ATS is probably going to weigh about... - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, [Deliberate Misinformation] The Cadillac ATS is probably going to weigh about... in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; 4000 must be acceptable, because most midsize luxury sedans are there or almost there, and they are selling. I think ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: The Cadillac ATS is probably going to weigh about...

4000 must be acceptable, because most midsize luxury sedans are there or almost there, and they are selling. I think the RS6 is almost 5000. The luxury-buying masses don't care. It's driving enthusiasts like us who care. Unfortunately, we are in the very small minority. Hopefully CAFE2020 fixes that. Hopefully.

brothleutner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 4

Maybe Lord Cadillac is part of the disinformation team at GM? Let's hope this is true and the real weight is under 3,500.

0AT E03 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by brothleutner View Post
    Maybe Lord Cadillac is part of the disinformation team at GM? Let's hope this is true and the real weight is under 3,500.
    The C6 Corvette weighs about 3300 lbs, the Z06 weights 3150ish, ZR1 back up to 3300 lbs. ATS will weigh more than that, more than likely significantly more.

Quote Originally Posted by brothleutner View Post
    Maybe Lord Cadillac is part of the disinformation team at GM?
    lulz

MikeTerp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

There is quite a thread about the ATS weight issue on another boad. Many blame Cadillac itself for the problem by demanding all kinds of changes to the GM alpha platform which increased weight. I don't know, but I do know that this is a hot topic on automotive message boards for all kinds or makes. BMW enthusiasts are very worried that the upcoming new 3-series (F30) will weigh more than the existing 3 (E90) even though the new car will have a 4 cylinder turbo as the base engine. In any event, all manufacturers will be dealing with increased CAFE requirements and "fat" cars will hinder them from achieving the marks. At the same time, buyers are demanding more and more options and regulations demand stronger structures for crash protection. Nevertheless, Cadillac has talked up the ATS as a serious 3-series competitor - a very tall order given that the 3 has been the benchmark sedan in this class for more than two decades. I hope that Cadillac takes a deep breath, steps back and makes sure that they have the ATS "right" before they release it.

Trivium is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac DTS V8 4.6L

^ Agreeed

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    You're right.. And that's what GM was originally hoping for.. But the Alpha platform wasn't originally intended for a luxury car to sit on top of it. It was supposed to be a small, light car that you can fling around and have fun with. The more luxurious the car that sits on top gets, the heavier it's going to be... Unfortunately...
    So will the ATS-V be heavy because of luxury options, or will it be heavy because of luxury options on the wrong platform? If its heavy because of luxury, thats understandable. But if its heavy because they used a platform that shouldnt have been used, then thats not so ok.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

The platform just wasn't meant to be used to carry a Cadillac - which is naturally going to be heavier than a Chevy. That's the only way I can think of to answer your question. The platform is perfect for a sports car. Not so much a luxury car.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

If it's a sports car platform, then it should be lighter, no?

That's part of the problem with the current Camaro. They used the Holden full size platform and shrunk it a little. It's still a very big, very heavy unibody.

The platform was originally fine until Cadillac got it's hands on it. Now it's needing this and that (suspension upgrades for a larger engine than intended, for example) and it's getting heavy. Add luxury amenities, and it'll be even heavier. I have a feeling the ATS will still be very competitive.. It's just not going to be a 335i right out the door. And I think the ATS-V will also be very, very competitive - especially for the price.. Cadillac may not get it completely together with the ATS until the second generation. But, like the first generation CTS-V, it had a nice following amongst driving enthusiasts.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by Trivium View Post
    Yea def upsets me because i was looking for the 3,500-3,700lb range which would have completely murdered the M3. Hopin this is a fluke n gm actually makes the car lighter or if they dont give us an AWD =-) That def make my day
    the E90 is 3700 lbs in the base form and almost 38-3900 fully loaded.

In convertible form you're eyeballing the 4200lb mark with toys.

justgreat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

god, it's been ages since i posted on this site...well, anyway...regarding the ats and it's packaging, i think this time around, the engineers will live up to the task at hand...the days of grandiose statements by the marketing department before a car was introduced and then have the finished product be a huge letdown...i think that's behind gm now.

the ats should come in around the size and weight of the 2012 3 series...the powertrain will have a turbo 4 and should make around the same numbers as the turbo 4 in the 2012 3 and 5 series...one big question is whether theengineers will design the motor for 87 or for premium fuel. since it's a 4 banger i suspect that they will opt for premium, to help throttle response and driveability. this would break the mold for gm, based on their past engines; espceially for the entry level model.

but, the esential point in this thread is critical to the success of the vehicle: the weight must by competitive
    with the a4 or the 3 series. the engineers were able to do it with the cts:compare the weight of a 5 series with the cts and they're very close.

so lets hope, the designers don't overload the ats with too much fluff for the base model...let the customer load it up with stuff and weight if they want.....

jackg
    2006 sts6

:compare the weight of a 5 series with the cts and they're very close.
    if you measure weight compraed to interior volume and exterior size the CTS weighs more. Even the E60 has more interior room than a CTS. Right now, the CTS is sort of a size between a 3 series and 5 series.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    if you measure weight compraed to interior volume and exterior size the CTS weighs more. Even the E60 has more interior room than a CTS. Right now, the CTS is sort of a size between a 3 series and 5 series.
    Very true. We'll have to see how the next generation CTS compares with the BMW 5-Series. I'm guessing it'll weigh slightly more... I'm also guessing the ATS will weigh slightly more than the 3-Series...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    Very true. We'll have to see how the next generation CTS compares with the BMW 5-Series. I'm guessing it'll weigh slightly more... I'm also guessing the ATS will weigh slightly more than the 3-Series...
    I would say you're not too far off that guess, as long as we're not talking 200+lbs more though, the decreased cost can forgive some extra love handles.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.