323 horsepower V6 for the Cadillac ATS
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS Technical Discussion Forum Discussion, 323 horsepower V6 for the Cadillac ATS in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; GM’s new 3.6L direct injection LFX V-6 engine goes into production this summer. It delivers an SAE-certified 323 horsepower (241 ...
    Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

323 horsepower V6 for the Cadillac ATS

GM’s new 3.6L direct injection LFX V-6 engine goes into production this summer. It delivers an SAE-certified 323 horsepower (241 kW) at 6,800 rpm an increase of 11 horsepower over the engine in the 2011 Camaro (which also gets this engine), with no compromise in fuel economy. Maybe, if we're lucky, we'll see more horsepower available for those who aren't so worried about gas mileage - but that's highly unlikely (a nice thought, though). Are tuners getting ready for the Cadillac ATS?

The LFX is 20.5 pounds lighter than its predecessor, which promotes a more balanced driving experience. EPA-estimated highway fuel economy for the 2012 Camaro with this engine is is 30 mpg (2LS model).

Compared to the 3.6L V-6 in 2011 Camaros, the new LFX engine features:
    New cylinder head design with integrated exhaust manifold
    Improved intake port design and larger intake valves within the cylinder heads
    Longer-duration intake camshafts
    Composite intake manifold
    New fuel pump and isolated fuel rail
    New, optimized-flow fuel injectors
    Structural front cover and cylinder block enhancements
    Stronger and lighter-weight connecting rods
    Camshaft cap and throttle body design enhancements.

In my opinion, this is going to be the engine that competes with the twin scroll turbo V6 in the BMW 335i - which has about 300 horsepower. If this car isn't too heavy and is geared properly, we can have a very nice 3-Series competitor here.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: 323 horsepower V6 for the Cadillac ATS

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cadillac View Post
    Are tuners getting ready for the Cadillac ATS?
    According to the Camaro guys, Trifecta has been tuning the LLT in the Camaro for about a year now (though I have yet to see anyone who has, post up over there). According to folks here, no one has cracked the PCM in the CTS yet. I have never gotten anyone to confirm this. I don't know what differences there are, if any, between the PCM in the CTS versus the Camaro.

If anyone has had their LLT CTS tuned, they are not posting about it. Since rumours seem strong about a twin turbo 3.0 DI, I doubt much progress is going to be made on aftermarket supercharging for the 3.6. There won't be enough demand for it. And without that, what point is there in tuning the 3.6? In the case of the Camaro (whose owners are far more likely to mod than CTS or ATS owners), you can go from an LT to an SS for about $8000. A decent supercharger setup for the LT is going to cost far more than that.

I have been getting a solid 25 mpg gallon with the SS. There is no way a supercharged LLT is going to do better. So there is no feasibility to doing it. I was getting 27-28 with the LT. Add all the weight and losses of a supercharger, 25 sounds about right. And it still won't have the low end grunt that the LS3 has. The only reason I can think of to do a supercharged 3.6 would be for lower insurance. Anyone looking to save a few bucks on insurance is not going to have the cash to upgrade performance.

Just my $0.02.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Im guessing headers will be off the table....

Most of the Camaro modders do an intake, and maybe a catback. I really don't think there will be any grief over no header install. With more and more states cracking down on emissions, I think headers are going to get harder anyway.

MikeTerp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

GM’s new 3.6L direct injection LFX V-6 engine goes into production this summer. It delivers an SAE-certified 323 horsepower (241 kW) at 6,800 rpm an increase of 11 horsepower over the engine in the 2011 Camaro (which also gets this engine), with no compromise in fuel economy. Maybe, if we're lucky, we'll see more horsepower available for those who aren't so worried about gas mileage - but that's highly unlikely (a nice thought, though). Are tuners getting ready for the Cadillac ATS?

The LFX is 20.5 pounds lighter than its predecessor, which promotes a more balanced driving experience. EPA-estimated highway fuel economy for the 2012 Camaro with this engine is is 30 mpg (2LS model).

Compared to the 3.6L V-6 in 2011 Camaros, the new LFX engine features:
    Improved intake port design and larger intake valves within the cylinder heads
    Longer-duration intake camshafts
    Composite intake manifold
    New fuel pump and isolated fuel rail
    New, optimized-flow fuel injectors
    Structural front cover and cylinder block enhancements
    Stronger and lighter-weight connecting rods
    Camshaft cap and throttle body design enhancements.

In my opinion, this is going to be the engine that competes with the twin scroll turbo V6 in the BMW 335i - which has about 300 horsepower. If this car isn't too heavy and is geared properly, we can have a very nice 3-Series competitor here.
    I hope you are right; however, nearly everyone agrees that BMW has not "tuned" the 335 and that engine is capable of much more power if they desire. Also, the BMW 3 series WILL have nearly 50/50 weight balance and almost guaranteed great handling. It is also likely to come in a least a few hundred pounds under the projected 4K of the ATS. As many folks have said in other threads, Caddy has a great chance to be competitive here, but they really need to work hard to get the ATS right - and do it from the start. Finishing dead last in car mag comparos right out of the gate would be a disaster. All of us are hoping that the ATS is the homerun Cadillac needs to hit........

Any modern engine can be tuned for more power. Folks have been tuning the LS engines for years. Driveability and reliability become question marks after you tune though. There is a reason manufacturers go so conservative on the tunes.

In the case of the N54 version of the 335i, BMW detuned it around 100 horsepower. So not only can it be tuned back up to 400, it can be tuned on top of that to 500 or more. It was far more detuned than most engines.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

So if the TT6 is good for 500 hp, why do they bother with the M3? Why not just build and ship 335, and then let people buy an upgraded tune from the dealer? It would be a good way to bring in extra money, most folks would probably be more comfortable with a factory tune, and they would not have to waste money developing a low volume M.

The N54 was originally supposed to go in the M3. At the 11th hour, they decided against the M3 altogether and used the N54 in the 335i. Then, at the very last minute, they decided to go ahead with the M3 but didn't want to use the engine already in the regular 3-Series - so they shoved a V8 in. The N54 was never intended for a "regular" BMW. They screwed up.

I want to see their lineup in five years. Thanks to cafe they are going to have to start bringing all their little 1.8 gas misers here. Then I am gonna have to laugh at all you BMW shills who will then have to suffer through a lineup of "ordinary" cars like everyone else

MikeTerp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I want to see their lineup in five years. Thanks to cafe they are going to have to start bringing all their little 1.8 gas misers here. Then I am gonna have to laugh at all you BMW shills who will then have to suffer through a lineup of "ordinary" cars like everyone else
    BMW shills? Don't see anyone "shilling" for BMW here, but to ignore the incredible success of the BMW 3 series by any measure over the past two decades is crazy. This is the benchmark sports sedan, universally praised by anyone knowing anything about cars, winner of nearly all comparos, and a huge financial bonanza for BMW. The point being made is that Cadillac is openly stating that they are producing the ATS as a 3 series competitor. Great, but words are cheap and we are already hearing that the ATS is coming in "heavy". Great start. We all want Caddy to hit a home run here, but they need to do the work. Obviously, BMW has.

BMW has also spent a ton of money on advertising. Winning all those comparos? Hmmm.....

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

You are smoking crack.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

BMW has also spent a ton of money on advertising. Winning all those comparos? Hmmm.....
    Now you're just being foolish.

You are kind of a big deal. I don't listen to guys who are a big deal.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.