2013 Thunder Gray Chromaflair 2.0T Lux
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac ATS Picture Forum Discussion, 2013 Thunder Gray Chromaflair 2.0T Lux in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; After owning my '06 Mazdaspeed6 since first release in Dec '05 I decided it was time to start searching for ...
    jsehlms is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T LUX 6MT

2013 Thunder Gray Chromaflair 2.0T Lux

After owning my '06 Mazdaspeed6 since first release in Dec '05 I decided it was time to start searching for a replacement. Although I dreamt of owning a CTS-V, I knew it wasn't practical as a daily driver nor would it be something I could ever imagine driving in the snow. My search required a few simple options. Sunroof, heated leather seats, manual transmission, sporty yet comfortable, and an opportunity for aftermarket tuning should I want to go down that road. Naturally, the vehicle I came back to was the one that sparked my interest a year prior, the ATS.

With the end of 2013 nearing, I knew finding an ATS with my specs would be challenging, especially with the incentives available, dealers would want to move cars. I was able to find what I was looking for at a dealership in Pittsburgh and they were willing to deal on the car since they had a 2013 model left in January 2014. Everything was handled over the phone so one Saturday I drove down and signed (then) and drove.

I had not seen the Thunder Gray in person, only the new 2014 Phantom Gray, but once I saw the color shift I knew I made the right choice. 200 miles later, we were back home and she was sitting in the garage to wait until winter ends.

Like my last vehicles, I knew tint was a must have. I must say I love how it looks. Now if only the weather would turn for the better so I can start putting some miles on her.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TyH2009 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Re: 2013 Thunder Gray Chromaflair 2.0T Lux

Looks great!

I have the same color, and yours with the tint makes me want to get tint done ASAP!

Neuroleptic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS Turbo manual

Love it. Really like those wheels too. I have the standard wheels and I have seen some of those on ebay and I've been tempted. Also, that's a friggin huge garage man!

Thanks. It's my buddies garage. He a detailer and wishes it were larger to store some of his customer's cars.

duneless is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): black raven 2013 ats4 3.6

Am I reading right? Front windshield tinted? They would want to put me in jail here in CT.Wish I could do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsehlms View Post
    Thanks. It's my buddies garage. He a detailer and wishes it were larger to store some of his customer's cars.

Quote Originally Posted by duneless View Post
    Am I reading right? Front windshield tinted? They would want to put me in jail here in CT.Wish I could do that.
    Yes it is.. I did it on suggestion from a few friends who have had theirs done for years as well as the installer. Looking at it though, I feel it's too dark and will probably take it off. Since the weather here is crappy, I've only driven it 15minutes at night as-is and can say I don't feel there is much of a difference at night (Yes, I know there technically is). If anything, it cuts glare on the oncoming headlights making it easier to concentrate on driving.

I think it looks fantastic, and looks like the vehicles they use for commercials, but am afraid I'll get pulled over since it looks obviously tinted and any tint on the windshield is illegal here. I've heard they can't test for it, but I believe that is just hearsay.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

They can test for it, don't kid yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    They can test for it, don't kid yourself.
    I want to know how then.

I got a tint ticket a few years ago in another car, and the officer had a tester that he set on the top of the driver's window, and how he tested was by how much light passed through this little tester, and that told him how dark the window was.

Now, unless there's a tester I'm not aware of, how are you supposed to test a window that you can't put something on an edge?

Quote Originally Posted by TyH2009 View Post
    I want to know how then.

I got a tint ticket a few years ago in another car, and the officer had a tester that he set on the top of the driver's window, and how he tested was by how much light passed through this little tester, and that told him how dark the window was.

Now, unless there's a tester I'm not aware of, how are you supposed to test a window that you can't put something on an edge?
    This was the same excuse they told me, but I can't believe there aren't wireless devices where you hold up a calibrated flashlight and have a receiver end that reads.

----------

Answered my own question: http://promotorcarproducts.com/tint-meter/

carpenter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS Black Raven 3.6 AWD

Light meter aside.....since any tint is illegal, would they even need a light meter? A simple visual inspection could determine if there was tint on the windshield. If they really wanted to seems like they could just give the windshield a simple scratch test.

Quote Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
    Light meter aside.....since any tint is illegal, would they even need a light meter? A simple visual inspection could determine if there was tint on the windshield. If they really wanted to seems like they could just give the windshield a simple scratch test.
    Not sure. Those that have it done and have been pulled over have never been questioned on it, only the front windows. Either way, it's a garage queen right now so it doesn't really matter.

off1c3r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T Performance AWD

I'm a tad jealous. I had the thunder gray on my CTS. Loved the color. They took it away for the 14's.

They can test for it and will. I have had it done to me. And then had to go through inspection after that. Pain in the ass and money down the drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsehlms View Post
    Yes it is.. I did it on suggestion from a few friends who have had theirs done for years as well as the installer. Looking at it though, I feel it's too dark and will probably take it off. Since the weather here is crappy, I've only driven it 15minutes at night as-is and can say I don't feel there is much of a difference at night (Yes, I know there technically is). If anything, it cuts glare on the oncoming headlights making it easier to concentrate on driving.

I think it looks fantastic, and looks like the vehicles they use for commercials, but am afraid I'll get pulled over since it looks obviously tinted and any tint on the windshield is illegal here. I've heard they can't test for it, but I believe that is just hearsay.

----------

Just by looking at the windshield is enough for them. A front windshield can not be tinted. Unless you are Obama. Not sure if you are so.... But I really like it. Some states are better but the day will come.
    I want to know how then.

I have my 2nd car done. 40% on the windshield, 18% on all other windows. Granted that car doesn't come out much, but I've yet to be hassled, and I passed my safety inspection. But yes, tinting your windshield is against the law, but so is speeding. Haha

Well I do a lot of speeding
    I have my 2nd car done. 40% on the windshield, 18% on all other windows. Granted that car doesn't come out much, but I've yet to be hassled, and I passed my safety inspection. But yes, tinting your windshield is against the law, but so is speeding. Haha

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.