My New 2014 ATS with quick review
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac ATS Picture Forum Discussion, My New 2014 ATS with quick review in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hi folks! I just picked up my 2014 Silver ATS luxury yesterday I thought I'd write a quick review of ...
    Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

My New 2014 ATS with quick review

Hi folks!

I just picked up my 2014 Silver ATS luxury yesterday I thought I'd write a quick review of the car and my thoughts versus my previous CTS V.

Here the specs and a few pics of the new car:

2014 ATS Luxury RWD
    Automatic trans
    20% tint
    Chipguard
    18 inch polished wheels
    Sunroof
    Light platinum interior with jet black accents and wood trim
    Leather seats with 60/40 rear split seat
    CUE

The car's fit and finish is just amazing. The Interior is gorgeous with very nice materials and the seats are very comfortable

The configurable dash is awesome. I'm quickly getting used to CUE but need to find a better way to navigate channels on the radio. Sound system is quite decent for a factory install. Bluetooth pairing was very easy and the sound quality for calls is fantastic.

From a driving perspective this is the best responding chassis I've ever driven. (I've owned and driven F-bodies, latest gen Subaru STI, Corvettes, SRT8's and the CTS V) I've also driven Aston Martins, Jaguars, Acura's, Hondas, Miatas, BMW M, 350Zs and Benz AMG cars. This chassis is just incredible. I can't imagine how impressive this car would be on R compound tires on a race course.

Braking is excellent and the cars lightweight chassis combined with suspension setup makes for excellent turn in and response. Steering feel is the best I've ever driven hands down.

The main reason I picked up the car was for improved mileage. My V while a great and powerful car was averaging around 18.9L/100km around town. So far in the ATS not taking it easy I'm at 10.1L/100km city driving only. I'm sure this will get even better with break in.

The 2.0 motor has excellent low/mid range torque and power and almost feels like a diesel in its low end response. Given the small turbo it definitely falls off up top but for moderately spirited driving it's got plenty of grunt. The automatic is a nice pairing to the car.

My V was a great car and an absolute rocket in a straight line and sweepers but the heavy chassis really limited its feel especially on tight roads. It was more a GT car than a nimble sports car like the ATS. I'll miss the V but the interior, handling and excellent mileage of the ATS more than offsets.

I hope this review helps anyone thinking of looking at the ATS. I've been thrilled with the car especially from a driving enjoyment perspective. Personally I think it blows the BMW and Benz cars away. The new BMW and Benz cars are getting bigger and softer while the ATS feels like what the "pure" BMWs used to feel like but with all the latest tech.

Great work Cadillac, love the car

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DiabloMike is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

Re: My New 2014 ATS with quick review

+1

After 2 months I still feel the same way. Awesome to hear there is no disappointment going from the V to the ATS.
    Mike Litsch
    DiabloSport Inc.
    Diablosport.com

Ancient Mariner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Performance

Congrats on the new ride Chris, I can only echo what you say about the chassis and handling ability of this car - it truly is a game changer in this market segment. As you did, I also looked at Audi, BMW, and MB and the ATS simply is in another league for overall feel and ability. Enjoy buddy, but I don't think yours will be staying stock for very long LOL

Thanks Bill
    Surprisingly not feeling the mod itch at all right now

It's winter, just wait til spring comes around again LOL

JoeC1982 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T

I agree on your chassis sentiments, i owned a Scion FRS for about a year and had it lowered with aftermarket wheels and tires, strut brace, etc. That chassis was incredible and i should have kept it but couldn't afford to drop $4k on a supercharger kit. The ATS gives me a better ride, more power and luxury, and very little loss in handling. Once i get the wheels and tires upgraded along with the tune, intake, catch can setup it should be a luxury rocket.
    Chrispy likes this.

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD

An automatic!?! Did you break your leg?

Car looks good with the tint.

I thought you were getting snow tires. Are you putting the 18" wheels in storage until the summer?

P.S. hopefully you also got the cold weather package. the heated steering wheel is awesome.

Thanks!

With TO traffic and my lack of visits to the track I was tired of manual cars and wanted a break. Also I read that the stock 6 speed manual trans in the ATS was notchy/problematic. Going from the TR6060 in the V to a substandard manual would drive me nuts. I really like the R&D work GM did on the shift algorithm as well for the ATS.

Regarding winter tires I'm going to see how the car does with all seasons this year. If it's bad I'll pick up a set of snows in 17s and clean up/store the all seasons. (Probably sell the all seasons in the spring and pick up a set of Michelin PSS run flats. It'll be a bit heavier than some other options but won't need to worry about carrying a can of fix a flat and possibly ruining a TPMS sensor)

Canadian cars come with heated seats and steering wheel in the luxury trim

Cheers
    Chris

Ragtop 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD
    Same for me on traffic during the winter so an automatic was a must have in the ATS. I've still got the vette for jammin gears and top off driving in good weather.

Update - We've been hit with a foot of snow in my area over the past week and a half and the car has done great with the all seasons. I put it in snow mode with TCS off. Works like a champ! Snow tires would make this thing a tank in the snow.

Also averaging 10.7L/100km with a mix of 80/20 city/HW driving. Temps have been cold too...below -10 degrees C.

Going to be a White Christmas this year for sure Chris, been unseasonably cold/snowy down this way too this year.

P.S.

Oh yea, here's that blast-from-the-past!

haha thanks for posting...what year was that? Was that when I ran 11.85?

It was the first summer I had my '97 GT (bought in the previous fall) so '98? And yea that was your first 11 second pass with the new supercharger. Good times
    Chrispy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner View Post
    It was the first summer I had my '97 GT (bought in the previous fall) so '98? And yea that was your first 11 second pass with the new supercharger. Good times
    LOL I found the timeslip pic on my computer. October 10, 1998. Time flies man...
    Ancient Mariner likes this.

evanj21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0t

What's the 0-60 in the 3.6, also the 2.0t AWD???

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.